Sunday 2 April 2017

Its about perspective . . .



Matthew Henry is a well-known bible commentator. One day he was robbed.  That evening he made the following entry in his diary:

Let me be thankful ...
first, because I was never robbed before
second, because although they took my wallet, they did not take my life
third, because although they took my all, it was not much
and fourth, because it was I who was robbed, not I who robbed.
. . . 

 


I confess.  I can be a bit of a Pollyanna about life.  I tend to try to look at the bright side of everything, to try to take something positive out of the negative, to look up instead of down.  I was not always like this, and I cringe when I think of all the time I wasted in my life feeling sorry for myself, blaming others, dwelling on the negative, and feeling woe is me.  Its all about perspective.  I can't say for sure when the lightbulb moment for me was, but I am grateful that I had it, because life has been 100% better ever since.  I think the secret to finding joy, is therewith to be content.   To dwell on the things you DO have in life, rather than the things you don't.  Don't get me wrong. It is good to strive to be better, do better, become better . . .  but you need to appreciate where you've been and who you are first.

Yesterday Todd and I were sitting in the living room, with a friend, chatting  . . .  and all of a sudden it dawned on me that it was exactly 7 years ago yesterday that we moved into this house, having just been through the most painful month in the whole of our life together.  We had lost our job, our home, our dog and were reeling from all of the losses.  Anyone who knows me and has been reading me for that long will remember just how very broken we felt at the time.  I can remember saying to Todd, I feel a bit like Job . . .  when are we going to break out in boils and sores. It would have been so easy to just give up.
 but then 
...


little by little we began to see the positives.  I had been very unhappy at work, but I was not a quitter. I would never have quit my job, but would have stuck with it, no matter what.  Being made redundant meant I never had to even think about quitting, and it removed me from a situation that was, at its very best, poison to my soul and sucking the joy out of my life.  I gained the freedom to explore my talents, do more art, write more, spend more time with Todd.  I would never trade what I have now, for what I had then. Life is good. We are good. We are content. We are happy. . .  but we would never have known any of this without having first gone through the fire and coming out stronger at the other end. We would never have been able to serve a Mission.  We would never have found our Mitzie. I would never have had the time to write my book. (Still pinching myself over that one.)  We would never have had all these precious hours with each other that we have been able to enjoy together over these past seven years, never had the priviledge to know and serve with some of the most wonderful people, to make the beautiful friendships we have made, etc.

We are blessed,and blessed
and blessed some 
more
...




Life is filled with lessons.  Some come easy. Other's come hard, but . . . lessons come no matter what. I have learned so many things in my life thus far, and many of my lessons have been learned the hard way, but I am grateful for each lesson learnt, each tear I have cried, and for every step I have taken forward, even if sometimes it seemed like I was taking two steps back for every forward one I took.   A step forward is still progress in my opinion!  I am a lemonade from lemons kind of a woman, and I am grateful for that.


A letter has been written and will be winging its way to a little girl.  I hope she likes it.  I hve my fingers crossed.  It is filled with little drawings, etc. I hope she likes it. I really do. Its a way to connect with  her . . .

We were unable to watch any of the conference yesterday. Despite our best attempts, the internet fairies kept putting stumbling blocks in front of our every effort. We will try again today, but it will be without the music and I will miss that because the music is something which we both really enjoy. Oh well!  These things happen.  I hear the Mr stirring so I must be about my day. 

A thought to carry with you . . .

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.° ˛°. . 
Faith tells me that no matter 

what lies ahead of me,
God is already there.   .° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •

 Spiritual Enlightenment


In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Earl Grey Stewed Prunes.  Very nostalgic and very tasty.

Have a great Sunday. I hope you are blessed.  Don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!


8 comments:

  1. Oh Marie I am sad that you were unable to participate in your conference yesterday. I hope today is better for you and that you can view your conference.

    We are having tv glitches which we are putting down to flooding etc. Everything else like electricity is fine. So it is a first world problem.

    God bless your day and love to you always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to believe that 7 years have passed so quickly. I do remember when you moved there. After all these years it's nice to look back and see the positive things that came out of your move. I hope that someday I too can see the positives in my move. Have a happy Sunday !

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were able to watch the first session this morning Suzan, and greatly enjoyed it! I am glad that you are safe and sound despite the cyclone, along with your family. I have heard some of the details of the storm on the television. What a stinker! God bless and love to you! oxo

    Thanks Monique! You too! xoxo

    It has gone quickly Pam, it hardly seems seven years since. Change can be so hard at times. I am glad that your move has gone well. will be visiting today! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Marie, how well I remember those dark days seven years ago...I can hardly believe it is seven years since you moved north. Although we didn't know it at the time it was a great move for which we thank our dear Lord.......this has been a very very sad weekend for us. On Saturday morning my very best friend died Pam has been my friend since ever I came to Bath when we worked together and then when we moved over here to Box she has visited every Monday unless we were on holiday..never missed a day, she also came over every Sunday to church, in fact it was at box Methodist church that she truly met the Lord and although there was a Methodist church right opposite where she lived she wanted to come over to be with us. I still can hardly believe it. I am thankful that she died very suddenly indeed she and Henry were on their way to the Drs after me nagging her to make an appointment, he went to get her from the bedroom where she had gone to put her jacket on and she found her sat on a stool by the dressing table head resting on her arm, he shook her and she just fell back on him....such an awful shock for him as well. On top of all that marys beloved cat Amber went missing for three day he returned after we had heard from Henry , he was very poorly looking we took him to the vet last night but he coudnt see anything wrong so just gave hoping a jab...this morning he was clearly worse so when I went to church peter took Mary and Amber to the vet where the vet very gently put Amber to sleep. Although naturally very sad after all Amber was 161/2 and her first and only pet, she is also much relieved and content tonight knowing she has done it for the good of the cat....now we are off to bed I am so tired..night night.God Bless. P S...got Luras coach booked this afternoon will write later with details...xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH Sybil what a very tough weekend for you. I am sorry for the loss of your dear friend. Take comfort that she is waiting for your heavenly reunion. God bless you and keep you. Sending love from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post so much! I love our positive and upbeat attitude. I loved all your thoughts on this one. It has been along day at the hospital with our sweet Granddaughter in law that has hemorrhaged three times since having her baby. They finally did a procedure to stop it. The upside was getting to hold my new little great granddaughter. There's that negative and positive moments. I feel just like you life is beautiful in so many ways and we learn so much through life that helps us grow; even the difficult moments. Love and hugs for you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sybil, I am in shock! I am so very sorry to read of your friend Pam. I know how often you spoke of her and how kindly. I am sending you very big hugs and hugs to Mary also at the loss of her beloved Amber. ((((hugs)))) Praise God for our faith which teaches us that life is so much more than this mortal plane of existance, and that we have the comfort of knowing where our loved ones go after their life here on earth. Praying that you are able to find comfort in your faith and in the happy memories that you have of times shared with Pam. Love you very much. xoxo

    Thanks LeAnn! So sorry your Grandaughter in law has had such a horrendous time, but happy that they were able to get the bleeding stopped. You are right there is opposition in all things, but it must needs be. Love and hugs to you also. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!