Saturday 17 December 2022

Saturday Nice . . .

 


They pass unnoticed in a busy world,
These little fragrant deeds that women do
To help each other through a weary day --
A nod and smile . . a cherry word or two.
The sudden mist of tears upon a face
Changes the very outlook of the place.

A little gift of something you have baked,
An end of a cake, a loaf of new-made bread,
A new book loaned . . a pattern gladly shared,
And one discouraged heart is comforted,
The road made easier for weary feet,
Love dwelling here upon this quiet street.

One woman made a gift of perfume rare,
Washed someone's tired feet with cooling tears
Two thousand years ago . . and yet today
The fragrance breathes warm love across the years
We see old tables set and casements wide,
A woman kneeling at the Master's side.

Small loving deeds, like dew upon the earth,
A sorrow shared . . a dollar gladly spent,
A cup of water given in His name,
Become at once a shining sacrament.
There is no gloom for me . . no rain or shine
If friendly hands reach out to rest in mine.
~Edna Jaques, Small Deeds
My Kitchen Window, 1935



 
I was talking to my oldest son Anthony for a time last night. He was cooking an Indian meal for his family. Well, his wife really. The boys were welcome to enjoy it as well or make themselves a hot dog. They do not have very adventurous palates, which is very strange. Their father had his nose stuck into whatever I was cooking from a very early age and has always had a very adventurous palate. We are all different though.

It got me to thinking about when I was growing up.  The most adventurous my mother's cooking got was her "Italian spaghetti" which was a can of Catelli spaghetti sauce poured over a pound of browned ground beef and spooned over spaghetti noodles.  There was a green can of cheese on the table for us to enjoy however, which was very adventurous indeed! How far we have come since those days!





I used to enjoy the cardboard boxes of Spaghetti dinner that you used to be able to buy. There were two varieties, Kraft and Chef Boyardee. They came with a little tin of spaghetti meat sauce (although there was very little meat in it) and a small packet of parmesan cheese. I remember buying them when I was first married and thinking they were fabulously tasty. I was 19 years old. What did I know really . . . about that big wide world out there. I had been brought up for the most part in rural Nova Scotia where such things were considered new-fangled. Pizza and chow mein were foreign food and adventurous. The closest I had come to a real Italian was on the television.  We were not very sophisticated to say the least. Boy did I have a lot to learn, but learn it I did

Do you remember the Kraft commercials on the television that offered to send you recipe pamphlets using their products?  They had a new one every month. I used to have quite a few of those which sadly got left in the UK. That was a bit of history there.


 


I got myself a new blanket from The Bay.  Very soft and velvety.  I had popped it onto the sofa while I was washing the small throws that I usually keep on it to protect it from little claws.  Cinnamon quite liked it. I looked over and there she was all stretched out on it, most unusual for her. She usually is in her basket, or under the quilt on my bed. 




Usually, it is Nutmeg being the ham and playing up to the camera, but she was quite happy posing for me on this particular occasion, so I took advantage of it and snapped a few pics.  I know I am a bit biased, but I think she is a strikingly pretty little cat. She is half the size of Nutmeg, and her fur is a much darker ginger. She is what the vet called a classic tabby because of her distinct markings, whilst Nutmeg is a mackerel tabby because of his. She has swirls and blotches in her coat, and he has distinct lines.  Both have the ^^ above their eyes. 

Though technically not a breed, ginger cats are known for their distinct coloration which comes in varying shades of orange, red, and gold. With their tiger-like appearance and their friendly personalities, ginger cats are some of the most popular cats around. 

 Every ginger cat is unique, but because they all carry the tabby gene, they have certain characteristics in common. For example, all tabbies have a distinctive M-shaped marking on their foreheads. The rest of their patterning is determined by genetics.  We are great ginger cat (also known as marmalade cats) lovers in my family.  But you already knew that! 



 


We have no snow at the moment. I have certainly enjoyed seeing all of the snowy photos on IG and FB of everyone else's.  We just have rain mixed with snow, but more rain than snow so it's hardly noticeable. We will almost definitely be having a green Christmas. It is supposed to be 9*C on Friday next, which is 48*F.  So decidedly warm for this time of year.   The UK however is in a bit of a deep freeze at the moment.  I have been seeing all kinds of snowy pictures from my friends FB pages. For the most part they are enjoying it, although the cost of heating is a concern with many with the prices having gone up so much.  This is going to be a bleak year for many.




I had sent an e-mail to my daughter in law (the one who lives in the next town over) earlier this week asking could I just drop my wee grandson's Christmas gift off on the doorstep.  I promised that I wouldn't even get out of the car, but that my sister would actually drop it off. I just wanted to make sure someone would be home when I dropped it.  It's a bit bulky to post, although I have posted one the last two years. I have had no response.  It could just be that she is busy working, I don't know.  I don't know what to think, or really what to do. 

It's a bit of a sticky wicket for sure. The whole business makes me more than a little sad, but it is what it is.

I will have to buy a few more gifts this week with my son coming over. I usually just send money in cards to them as they are so much older, and I think they would rather just buy what they want instead of me giving them something they don't want or need.  I was thinking of getting a board game so that we would have something fun to do when they are here. I don't want the boys glued to video games, etc. the whole time.  I will have a busy week this week getting ready!  It's all very exciting!  First Christmas with my son and his family in over 24 years!  Of course, back then he wasn't even married, so I guess this is my first Christmas ever with my son and his family!





I have finished watching the whole Harry and Meghan series. I know there are some pretty strong feelings on both sides about this. I did not personally feel that it was directed against the Royal family per se, but the media and the press offices of the RF.  I saw a man who had been really traumatized by the media since he was a child and who had witnessed and experienced his mother being stalked and hunted by them, and in fact killed by them. I think he is living his happiest life now, away from the RF. I saw a couple who genuinely love each other and a beautiful little family. Of course, that is my perspective. I am happy for them.  I think that some of the things that have been written about her are appalling and truly hateful.  I don't blame them for wanting to leave the UK. Of course this is just my opinion and my feelings.




It will soon be the shortest day of the year.  The Winter solstice on Wednesday the 21st.Marking the first day of astronomical winter, the winter solstice lays claim to the shortest day of the year, but it’s also the date after which the Sun starts to make a welcome return. We can then look forward to the days becoming a bit longer, unnoticeably at first.  The astronomical winter differs from the meteorological winter which begins on the 1st of December every year.

Above the Artic circle on the 21st of December the sun won't rise at all and at the Antarctic circle it won't set.  Fascinating stuff, well it is to me anyways!



 

Oh what I wouldn't give to have a stove like that in my house, warming my fingers and toes! It might not be cold out temperature wise, but it sure feels cold in here. I don't remember it being this cold last Winter, or maybe my bones are just that much older!

I am off to clean the chapel this morning. It is my team's turn, team 5. I hope that this time more than just Glenna and I show up. Usually, it is just us two and we end up having to do the whole thing. It is not my favorite thing to do anyways, and even less of a favorite when it's just the two of us!

I will leave you with a thought for the day . . . 



° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *It was the middle of winter. 
The sun had just set, 
and it was very, very cold. 
An icy wind was blowing from the East, 
and as it blew it softly whispered;  “Snow…” 
~ Jill Murphy - Brambly Hedge, 
‘Winter Story’.•。★★ 。* 。




Oh, I baked something very lovely yesterday  . . . Caramel Almond Tart. Almost impossible to stay away from it. Positively dangerous!

Have a lovely Saturday. Stay safe, happy and warm. Be blessed. Don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too! 

10 comments:

  1. If I can suggest a game.. SPLURT just before I forget;) It is so much fun.. all ages..13-81 enjoyed it so much we played twice.You will laugh:)The Littles and Kittles will laugh..
    I don't remember those boxes of spaguetti.I remember the Turnovers with icing the beginnings of my baking forays:)LOL with J since 19 married at 20.Same beginnings..with Littles right away.
    We had a stove like that in a country place on the second floor!!The second kitchen..I was under 10 my recollections are muddled..A conundrum that she doesnt answer..Geesh..It seems before their wedding things were a bit more civil.What the heck.Its Christmas..answer your mother-in-law.Grrrr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look for that game! Sounds like fun! Oh yes the turnovers with the icing. So yummy! She finally did answer with a non-answer. My son who is coming over will drop it off while he is here. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Chef Boyardee used to do a pizza mix too, little pkt of sauce and cheese. You could add your own toppings. Don't imagine it is around any more, but haven't looked for years. Lots of snow here. Why don't you just take a chance and deliver the gift, you did your part in reaching out. Looks like a nice cozy blanket. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they did! I thought they were good. But they don't make them anymore, not that I have seen, not here in Canada anyways! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Have a happy weekend Marie…how lovely of you to care for your chapel. Be safe and be warm. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all take our turn V, it's an act of love and service! You be safe and warm also! xoxo

      Delete
  4. I like the poem at the beginning of your post "the fragrant deeds that women do." So true. I am visiting a retirement home today with a gift for my friend who will be 90 on Christmas day. That is big! I like ginger cats too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It spoke to my heart also Terra! I hope you enjoyed your visit with your friend! xoxo

      Delete
  5. I think our food experiences were similar...my mom did what her mom considered adventurous...and then I carried on from there, added to by some of the unique places I lived and learned, like Hawaii.
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Elizabeth! How wonderful to have lived in Hawaii! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!