Saturday 31 December 2022

All Things Nice . . .

 
 

Tonight I pray . . . that as the year goes by
I shall grow better . . . kinder less afraid,
And easier to live with. Often, Lord,
I grouch about the way the table's laid,
As i it matters how the dishes lie
When there is enough bread to satisfy.

Tonight I pray that, as the months are spent,
I shall look ever in my heart to see
If there be aught unclean -- no evil thing
To grow and spread its branches over me;
But only good alone shall lift its head,
And only kind and gentle words be said.

Tonight I pray that this New Year shall bring
No sudden riches . . only just enough
For every day's small need -- a warm clean bed,
Strength enough for the going, be it smooth or rough,
And always, God, a light to guide and bless,
And in my heart a song . . . for happiness.
~Edna Jacques, Prayer for the New Year
My Kitchen Window, 1935 

 


Funny . . . this poem was written almost 100 years ago, and the sentiments remain spot on and meaningful . . .  they are things I wish for myself, ideals that I wish to live and to continue to live. How I want my life to be and to remain.  What was important then, is still important now.  It is truly the simple things in life which still bring us the most joy . . . faith, family, friends . . . health.

Simple needs met . . .  a warm bed, food . . . enough . . . just enough. Ample to fit our needs and lives.  To be loved and accepted for who we are. Kindness . . . in words, thoughts and deeds. Enough strength to pull us through whatever the New Year should bring to our tables and into our lives.

Faith to carry on.



 


This is little Mac sporting his Christmas Sweater.   He is so adorable.  He is filled with personality and brings a smile to all our faces and is even winning Dan over, little by little. 



 

I mean how can you not love a little charmer like him. It's impossible! 




How about a box full of kittens?  My cousin's cat had yet more kittens. I believe they are all spoken for now.  Serious cuteness.  In a box. My heart melts.

My sister brought Little Mac over one night.  It was so fun to see the cats all together.  At one point Nutmeg did a double take.  It was like he thought he was seeing double . . . Cinnamon and Mac look so much alike. There was not as much hissing and spitting as I thought there would be. I think in time they would get along great.




A funny photograph from Christmas day. Luke's sock monkey (I think he is called socker monkey) was wearing the funny glasses from the stocking.  So funny. 




 This is the infamous Santa Jacket.  Every year my mother used to let us pick some clothing from the Sears Catalogue for ourselves at the beginning of the school year.  There was a certain dollar amount that we could choose.  My last year in High School, I chose this coat.  I have always loved the color red and it had lovely lamb's wool cuffs, pocket trim and collar. I fell in love with this coat.  Sadly, I did not wear it as much as I should have. My first day wearing it to school I got on the bus, and someone started singing, "Here Comes Santa Claus."  Kids are so mean.


I look like I am enjoying it here, however. It was at my first husband's parent's house on the tire swing in the back yard. They were a farming family.




This is me that same year at the Highschool production of "Promises, Promises."  Loving the Hot Pants and the Aviator glasses.  I was so cool, lol

I would kill to have that figure now!


 



This photograph is almost 48 years old.  From left to right, my brother David (14), my father (41), Mom (42), myself (19), Cindy (16) and she is holding Anthony who looks to be about 3 or 4 months old.  What a treasure to see this.

My son brought over his photo album when he was here for Christmas. His paternal Grandmother had left it to him when she passed away. It is filled with gems like these.  


 

What a poser I was!  haha
(This was a stone BBQ, not a headstone!)

I look back at that girl and all of her hopes and dreams. I thought I knew it all and life was going to be so rosy and sweet.  I had no idea of how many challenges I would have to face in the coming years.  I sit here almost 50 years later and marvel at all I have been through in my lifetime. I think it is the same for everyone. It is a good thing that there are no crystal balls in life. Would any of us want to go on? Perhaps, perhaps not.

I can say though, having gone through my life I would not exchange any of it really. I am the person that I am today because of the journey I've taken, and I like me. Oh sure, I would love to be thinner (who wouldn't) but I like me and the person that I have become. I would not be that person without all that I've experienced.  The good and the bad have all served to shape me into who I am, so how can I be anything but grateful for the journey that got me here.


 



Here we are sitting on the cusp of another New Year. The old one seems to have passed by very quickly. It always does it seems. It begins and before we know it, it is ending. I normally like to pick a word for the year to come and I think my word for the year 2023 will be BLESSED.  I will seek to find the blessings in each and every day and in every experience. If there is one thing that life has taught me it is this, even if we cannot see it while we are in it, almost every experience comes with some sort of blessing attached. It may be years before we can see the blessing, but if we look for it, the blessing is always there.  Whilst I can appreciate that this may not apply to everything, but I do believe it applies to most things. So, my word for 2023 is going to be BLESSED.  And every time I find myself not feeling so I am going to remind myself that I am.

And with that I will leave you with a thought for the day . . . 


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.We do not remember days,
we remember moments.
~Casare Pavese•。★★ 。* 。




 



No new recipe today (still taking a break), but I am sharing something delicious with you nonetheless.  A fabulous Chocolate Eclair Cake.  This would make a great dessert for New Year's Day dinner!


I hope you have a wonderful last day of the year. Stay safe and be blessed!  Have a wonderful New Year's Eve, no matter what you get up to!  I'll see you next year. Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!  
     


9 comments:

  1. The last day of 2022 here has a foggy start, patches of wanna be grass showing through from the unusually mild temperatures of almost 10 Celsius, and we are under a rainfall warning. I have loved reading your blog during the years and look forward to more antics of Cinnamon and Nutmeg, and family sharing events. Wishing you all the best for the upcoming year Marie, Stay safe and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE had pretty much the same weather Linda, but lots of rain as well! I dread to think if it was snow! We'd be snowed under! You stay safe and cozy as well and a very happy 2023! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I think I had that coat..my heavy days..we all went horseback riding..I distinctly remember someone saying:which is the horse.....
    Loving these old pics Marie..and that cat sweater is so perfect.Bonne Année.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so wicked Monique. I could never be so mean to another. ((((hugs)))) What doesn't kill us makes us stronger! Bonne Annee! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Well, Marie, Time is the great equalizer...NONE of us look spiffy anymore...hardly!! I am not convinced that all the bad stuff I have lived through was necessary really...but I have learned that sometimes we must suffer in order to benefit others someway. But I too was SO optimistic and hopeful...heh, I got over it...but nonetheless...maybe none of us would walk through most doors if we really knew was awaited on the other side!! I wonder... I am hoping however that this new year will be better than 2022, as in some ways, this was one of our worst. The hospital trying to kill my husband is still a great shock to us...but it boils down to really we can trust no one except GOD...humans do fail and often.
    The kitties are all cute...looks like that mama cat always has cute ones...and hopefully all as good natured as yours and your sister's cat. When I was a kid, all cats I ever encountered were nasty and mean and attacking...so it is quite a shock to me today to learn of so many nice ones. Maybe some better breeding along the way. One thing we learned in breeding guinea pigs, is that indeed personality is an inherited thing...among animals anyway.
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far all the cats seem very good natured! Yes, humans do fail and quite often! God is the only sure thing in this life for sure! Steadfast and true! xoxo

      Delete
  4. How lovely those photos are….memories on paper…thanks for sharing …and for your word, BLESSED…a perfect word for 2023.
    Have a sweet day…’see’ you next year! xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Becky! Happy New Year! I am not sure, but I like to think the young me might have listened! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!