Saturday 10 December 2022

All Things Nice . . .

 

A morning crisp as watered silk,
With blankets of new fallen snow
Tucking the little houses in
For fear their naked feet will show,
The trees and shrubs are beautiful
Wrapped in their coasts of carded wool.

The children on their way to school
In knitted caps and scarlet coats,
Play hide and seek behind the drifts,
Their laughter rises high and floats
Above the highest maple trees,
Like half forgotten melodies.

The shop where mother buys the bread
Has glittering panes of frosted glass
Through which the lights take on a glow,
Like holy candles at a mass.
The streets are paved with softest down
As if a king had come to town.

A sleigh goes by with chiming bells,
Young people riding for a lark,
Their merry voices seem to ring
with extra sweetness in the dark,
As if they tasted suddenly
How lovely simple things can be.

When Earth puts on her ermine wrap
And holds white diamonds in her lap.
~Edna Jacques, Winter Morning
The Golden Road, 1953 


 


Sometimes I feel as if I was born fifty years too late. Of course, in that case . . . I would no longer be here, so I am glad that I wasn't, but my heart does long at times for a simpler day and age. Sometimes my heart just feels too tender to put up with all that is going on in our world, and I wish to block it all out and just snuggle inside my warm safe home, leaving all the nasties at the door, but alas, that is not how life works is it.

And there is much about modern times that I do enjoy, such as having a wealth of knowledge at my fingertips on my computer and telephones and cars, television, etc.  Perhaps it is the simple values of days gone by that I envy most? I am not sure. 

But I know when I see a photo of someone who keeps their home in the old ways, my heart looks at it with a special longing. Is it possible to embrace the new and yet still keep the old? I wonder . . . 



There is a happy balance to be found between the two, I am sure.  


I found myself one of those Moroccan star lanterns.  I am mesmerized by it. I do not have a permanent home for it yet. Right now, it is hanging from my living room lamp frame. It is a pole lamp. Very cheap when I bought the lamp, from Amazon, but I find myself longing for a table lamp in its place. I must keep my eyes open and maybe I can find one on sale somewhere. I have looked online but they want too much for the ones that my eyes are drawn to.

When my children were growing up, we had a lamp that someone had made. It was kind of a silly lamp really, but it had character. It was an old log cabin with a stone chimney.  The stem to hold the bulb and shade came up out of the chimney.  When I think back on it now, it was quite interesting. I think we had found it at a yard sale.  We had a table lamp as well that I had won as a prize when I had sold Tupperware and we also had a lamp that I had bought at the Eaton's sale warehouse.  It reminded me of the wooden lamp that Beaver and Wally Cleaver had in their bedroom.  

There was something about the Cleaver home that sang the song of my heart and still does. I know it was not real . . . just a tv set, but it looked just like a Home Sweet Home to me, and something I aspired to. I found a tour of their home on YouTube. Feel free to click on it if you are as interested as I am. I thought it was quite interesting myself. It's an interesting channel called Mockingbird Lane.  This gal does digital simulations of a lot of the television homes we love and admire.

Another home I always really loved was the Gilmore girls' house.


 


It's quite cold out there this morning. As I look across the way I can see where some snow has accumulated on the roof tops across the way. There is none on the grass though and there are puddles on the street.  I have seen photos where it has snowed in the UK. Quite unusual this early in the year. I think the earliest I remember us getting snow when I live there was on Boxing Day.  At least where I lived at any rate. I am sure they got it a lot earlier up North. 

Mr. McG's house is looking quite empty now, although a lot of his yard ornaments are still there. The grandson is there most days clearing things out. Quite a task I would imagine, going through all the leftovers from someone's 92 years of life. You would want to keep the really important stuff and to do so with respect and care.

I think Mr. F on the end must be in the hospital again. I believe his daughter is there staying and taking care of his house. He was in the military with my father, in fact Mr. McG was as well. There are a lot of people living on these two streets that are of my mother and father's age group.


 

Now that's a novel idea, every pun intended. I would say that's a few too many books.  My ex-boss used to use books as a bit of a decoration in their dedicated family sitting room. They had formal sitting rooms downstairs, three to be exact and all beautifully appointed, but those were for entertaining purposes only. Upstairs they had a room that was used by the family, and which held their television. That is where she had books stacked. It is possible to have books stacked and to do so with decorum.  Hers always looked quite nice anyways. I do not have that skill. Mine would always just look like I had a stack of books out that I was too lazy to put away, lol.

Perhaps it depends on what kind of books they are?  Maybe . . .


 

Any collection of things can be made to look quite attractive. It is all in the positioning and placement of them.  I have an old stone marmalade jar that holds all of my measuring spoons. I managed to have enough forethought to stick them into one of my boxes that came over, and I use them all the time. 

I need to really organize my house a bit better. It is so easy for your house to look cluttered when it is such a small place. I like the way my house is set up pretty much. I would like more light in my kitchen, but for the most part I think my wee place is just perfect for me. 

There is a bit of stuff on the table at the moment from where I have been wrapping Christmas gifts. I was doing a box for my daughter's two children yesterday afternoon. I simply got them some books I thought they might like to read. Books that I enjoyed when I was their ages. I bought one of those boxes you can get at the post office now. It's called a flat rate box. If it fits in the box and doesn't go over a certain weight, it mails for what you paid for the box. Of course, there was some space around the wrapped books, so I filled it in with little mini candy cane. I suspect that they will probably be more popular than the books, but I will never know for sure.  I have never gotten any acknowledgement of anything I have sent them. 

It used to drive Todd crazy that I would send gifts, etc. every year even though I knew I wouldn't hear back.  I used to tell him that it was about doing the right thing and so long as I did the right thing, then nobody could ever accuse me of not doing so.

Besides when you give people gifts, it should not be with the expectation of getting anything, even words . . . in return.  Giving should always come from a place of love in the heart and nowhere else and for no other reason.

 

I am thinking this must look really lovely lit up at night. Such a simple thing and yet so beautiful.  There is a house across the way that has those candoliers in every window. It looks so lovely at night.  So warm and welcoming.

There used to be a house in town that the people who lived in which owned Eisner's restaurant. Every Christmas every line and angle of the house would be decorated with white lights, the windows would have candles in them, and they would have Christmas carols playing on some sort of audio thing. People would come from all over just to look at it. It was simple and yet so beautiful.

One thing we always used to love doing with the children when they were growing up was to drive around the neighborhood and look at all the Christmas lights that people had put up. Some people go to great lengths to decorate.  It's very nice to see.


  
 


There's a program I have been watching on Amazon Prime called Three Pines. It's a Canadian production, and actually quite good. It is very rare that I enjoy Canadian television. I know, shame on me. 

"A man investigates murders in Three Pines; he sees things that others do not: the light between the cracks, the mythic in the mundane, and discovers long-buried secrets and faces a few of his own ghosts."

It's very well done, and the cinematography is beautiful. It's based on a book by Louise Penny, called Fatal Grace. Interwoven in the story of a murder is the disappearance of an Indigenous girl as well. Very thought provoking and current. If you are looking for something to watch, I highly recommend.

Well, here it is quarter to ten and I haven't done anything this morning except sit on here. It's been one of those mornings where I have become easily distracted, first with one thing and then another. It is my ADHD for sure. I am one of those people who often starts off doing one thing and ends up doing another completely! I know I am not the only person like that!

I will leave you with a thought for the day . . .


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *The best Christmas gift is to realize
how much you already have.
~Unknown  •。★★ 。* 。 





In The English Kitchen today something delicious for Christmas. Christmas Morning Rolls. Made with refrigerated biscuit dough and a jar of mincemeat. Very nice. Easy peasy lemon squeasy and so tasty!

I hope you have a lovely Saturday! Whatever you get up to, don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!  

11 comments:

  1. I used to send cards to family that chose not to talk to the rest of the family. Just my way of letting them know we are thinking of them. Never heard back from one of them (husband's sister), but I did my part. The other was our youngest daughter and it eventually paid off after many years, now we text and talk when we visit the mall. Keep sending those packages. It is a lovely sunny Saturday, temperatures below 0 Celsius, and it is to snow overnight and into tomorrow. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I just strive to do the right thing and have faith that one day all things will be well again. It is very cold here today! Hope you are having a great weekend! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I have read all the 'Three Pines' book by Louise Penny and enjoyed them. I look forward to seeing the series, although they've changed the plots a bit. But Gamache is still an honorable man in both. A character to enjoy following in these times of chaos in the world. Based on Louise's husband, who is no longer with us. It's good to be reminded that there are decent, ethical people around us. When I think of older, 'simpler'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, "simpler" for sure. I will have to read those books. If they are better than the series, then they have to be good! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Sorry that got away from me before I was done! When I think about my childhood, when we could leave our old bikes on the lawn and not worry that someone would steal them, I also have to remember the greater amount of prejudice against all minorities, against people with different preferences - who were good people just different from the majority and how women were treated as second class citizens - something I experienced personally - not being allowed allowed to take woodshop class because it was only for boys, all the school funds being spent on boys sports and none on girls sports, being fired from an electricians job by a manager because I was female even though I had experience ...the good ole days were not so good for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree not everything was the way it should have been. Perhaps we could take the best of both and end up with an ideal way to live? xoxo

      Delete
  4. We just watched Three Pines..Im thinking of renaming our home lol as we have three pines right in front;)Louis Penny lives in the townships..here in QC..a great author.I like Alfred Molina..funny I always thought in reading her books that Gamache was more French.It wasn't a very riveting series I found but good.I guess he's just very bilingual like me lol..After you mentioned Meghan and Harry I watched 1..I don't know how i feel so much controversy.I know in my heart Diana was the most honest and real and good:)
    I just went to the post office asking her about flat rate..makes sense..still not reasonably cheap though but certainly better than packing up on our own where the prices are exhorbitant.I did my mailing I love it.But had to limit sending gifts in the mail.We have been blogging for yrs ..people are so generous..but I can't reciprocate all..:(..and that makes me feel bad so I had to..pause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that Harry was traumatized by his childhood and losing his mother as he did at such a young age. I don't blame him for wanting to distance himself from it all, but at the same time, perhaps he could have achieved it in another gentler way? The British press is horrible though. They have no scruples. None whatsoever. I do feel that Meghan has a lot to say about everything, right or wrong, and he pleases his wife. But nobody knows really but those two. I do feel in some ways that if you really want privacy you wouldn't be making everything so public. I am on the fence! No worries about Christmas things! Most people are very happy with a card! I know I am. It is nice to be thought of! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Saying "Thank you" and "please" seems to have gone almost entirely by the wayside where we have been for a few decades. SADLY...because I see it as part of what makes relationships work. I wonder, Marie, REALLY, how we are better off now than when we were young?? I cannot think of anything. I would prefer to live more spartan, and no internet, no cell phone, etc in exchange for better relationships with people. Because I miss those days. Face to face far better than long distance or not seeing folks in person. Yet, today, the young seem to prefer such impersonal ways. Sad. I am glad to have the internet for one reason: at least we, folks like you and me and others like us, have at least this relationship. Truely, if we had more local folks to be with more often, there really would not be the time to do this online. I so miss my kin long gone now...so much so. And all the gatherings that made up my childhood. It was THE BEST part really, of my life to this point. How does one describe the feeling of being loved and accepted by a great many of kin, all in one spot even? That is what my first 14 years were, before we moved far away to another state. Nothing was ever quite like that again. Never. Nor will it be. I think the powers that be in the world have done things so that we will not be as well supported by our kin, distant and all. That is my thoughts at least. And I am one of those who love books...the real ones on paper, not just on a screen!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are probably positives to take from both eras, I guess. Heaven will be bliss when we get there. I, for one, am looking forward to it, but not in a rush to get there all the same! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Staying in touch with your family (& friends) is important…we only get so much time with them…keep sending cards and packages, maybe things will change for the better…at least you can feel confident that you tried…and your heart knows what to do.
    Have a good Sunday. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!