Friday 30 December 2022

How to spend a day . . .

 



I decided to take yesterday off.  I work pretty much seven days a week most weeks and so I thought I deserved a holiday, and I took one! Oh, I know, I just enjoyed a holiday over Christmas with my family, but what harm could a few more days do!

I thought I would get ever so much done around here.  I spent the whole day puttering pretty much, or at least the morning. I cleaned out the bread box and threw some stuff out to the birds. I had accumulated some stuff while the family was here, and it was stale, so the birds benefitted from that. I heard no complaints.  Some of the cakes and things were wrapped and put into the freezer.

I vacuumed. The cats are very hairy, so I am always vacuuming. I ordered a pair of those pet grooming mitts to see if it will help. I do brush them, but I am not sure the brush takes off much hair. I think the mitts might do a better job. We will see anyways.




I made myself a frozen mac and cheese for my dinner (Stouffers). I don't know why I buy them. Impulse I guess and because it is always nice to have something in the freezer for when I want something quick but don't feel like cooking anything. 

I remember back in the day when I thought a frozen Stouffer's entree was the height of sophistication!  I can remember buying them at the Save Easy in Wolfville when I was a very young bride. I can remember thinking that this creamed chicken thing was very tasty. What did I know?  Not a lot really! Frozen pot pies were a favorite thing!

In any case I do like their Turkey dinner with the mashed potato and stuffing.  Sized just for one person. I like turkey and never tire of it. 


 



After lunch I went to Cindy's.  I have been thinking of taking Danielle Donaldson's new course in 2023 and we both got some paints for Christmas, so we were going to do a paint afternoon which we have not done in a while. I brought over one of Danielle's books so we could do an exercise from it.  WE had fun but I don't think either one of us was really happy with our butterflies. Mine need a lot of work done to them.

I may rethink the course.  I am not sure I have the time to devote to something like that.




I came home, fed the cats and then decided to play for a bit on my game.  I managed to ride my horse all the way to the cabin and was told to take cover in the shed. I think I have done that, but I mostly just shuffled around in the snow looking for the shed. The important thing is that I am getting to know the controller and what it does. Games these days are a lot more sophisticated than they used to be! I think that once I get the hang of it, I will really enjoy it.

I unboxed all of my calendars in readiness for Sunday. Usually, every year my brother makes a family calendar with all of the birthdays etc. on it, but this year he didn't. I will miss his calendar. It was always filled with family pictures, etc. and I really enjoyed them. I think we are all missing his calendar, but now he is retired, he probably needs to watch his pennies more. Don't we all!

I managed to get a telephone Doctors appointment made to renew my prescriptions and managed to get one for today, so that was good.  I was pleased about that.

I got a letter written and stuffed into the mailbox.  Then I decided to take my shower early because I was tired.  Did that and then sat down to enjoy a salad for my supper. I had picked up one at the Super Store a few days ago, just a small one. Cobb Salad.  I needed to eat it before today. So that was my supper.

I felt all holy for having a salad for my supper, but I figured since I had eaten that Mac and Cheese for my lunch, I better pick something a bit healthier for supper.





And then I started to watch the Series about Maxine Carr on BritBox.  It was only a couple of years after I had moved over to the UK when two ten-year-old girls (Holly and Jessica) disappeared in Soham in the UK.  It ended up being the School Custodian. His girlfriend/fiancée Maxine Carr was charged with Perversion of Justice for making false statements about having been with him on the night they disappeared.  She served a short time for this but was probably one of the most reviled women in the UK. Since her release from prison, she has been protected, given a new identity, secret location, etc.  I ended up binging the first two episodes, and then it was time for Everybody Loves Raymond and bed.  

I am such a creature of habit.  For having taken a day off from work, I didn't really manage to get a lot done, did I?

Oh well, some days are just like that!

A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
  ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*The prayers we weave into
the matching of socks,
the stirring of oatmeal,
the reading of stories,
they survive the fire.•。★★ 。* 。
~Ann Voskamp•。★★ 。* 。 






I didn't really cook anything yesterday but am sharing my Banana & Golden Syrup Loaf recipe today from the English Kitchen. It's been a few years since I baked it, but I remember it being very good. When you have ripening bananas in the house you can't go wrong with baking a banana bread!

I was a bit saddened yesterday to read of the death of Ian Tyson. I used to have an album of his many years ago and often drove by his ranch in our travels in Alberta. Another Canadian institution gone. Sigh . . .


Have a great Friday!  I can't believe there is only two days left in this year. Hasn't it flown by ever so quickly!  Whatever you get up to be safe and don't forget!
 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   




9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you got a lot done for a day, Marie! Seems most days are taken up with many little tasks and the mundane...
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! My party animal days are long since gone! haha! xoxo

      Delete
  2. A well deserved day off. Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Linda! Hope you had a great New Year! xo

      Delete
  3. Hello Marie! I think your day sounds like time well spent…a luxury to just piddle around! I too, have that luxury…one that is never taken for granted…how blessed are we?? I know you enjoy your day, whatever you do…♥️…happy almost New Year…xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year V! I agree it is a luxury! xoxo

      Delete
  4. As long as you enjoyed your day, Marie, that's what's important. We all need unregimated days to wind down and relax. That was sad about Ian Tyson passing. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the end of an era for sure. Love and hugs and Happy New Year! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Huge fan here of Gordon Lightfoot as well and I loved Ian and Sylvia too. I am sure I got a lot more done before the Internet as well! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!