Wednesday 18 May 2022

Wednesday this and that . . .

 

  

It is hard not to notice the way the countryside is greening up and blossoming into life here in the Valley.  It seems impossible that it was only just a few weeks ago and the branches of the trees were laying stark and bare against the backdrop of pewter skies and now each branch is covered with a flush of green budding leaves and blossom is springing up everywhere . . .  people have gardening fever and it shows, as plant pots appear to pop up seemingly over night. April showers really do bring May flowers.

I have been enjoying the tulips in my neighbor's gardens. Such a riot and variety of color.  Jane who lives down the end of our street and who was the first to greet me upon my arrival to the neighborhood has been working diligently on her garden and it is just beautiful. She has a raised bed along the edge of her drive and a variety of plant pots which she has filled with pansies and the like. She lives in an end house and I had noticed she has what looks like composting units placed along the side of her place. She is a very keen gardener and nature lover  . . .  and bird watcher.  I really admire her zeal.  I am in awe of it actually. I wish to be more capable like that.



We have had some beautiful weather as of late, with lovely warm temperatures and I have noticed each time when I visit my sister's the difference in the lilac bushes. with each day of sunshine the leaves unfurl more and the buds are growing even larger, looking more and more like the lilacs that they are becoming.

Mom loved the lilac bushes. There is a really large one next to the front deck. She loved to sit in her chair and look out at them from the window.  I do so love the smell of lilacs myself. If I could, I would plant a lilac bush in my garden.  I know they only bloom for a short time, but for that short time they are a little taste of heaven on earth. 

I am sure that heaven is bounded by white picket fences which never need to be repainted and everblooming lilacs hang in deep purple clusters all over it. 


 


The grass around my sister's place is loaded with white and purple violets.  Whenever I see violets I think of the quote from Mark Twain about forgiveness . . . "Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds upon the heel which crushes it."

I am quite sure that heaven is filled with meadows covered  with rich carpets of white and purple violets . . .  

Oh that heaven in my mind is a wonderful, wonderful place  . . .  


 


I had dinner yesterday across the street at my friend Glenna's.  She had invited the missionaries over for a meal and they are not allowed to be indoors alone with a single sister according to the Missionary rules.  It might seem silly to some, but it is for their own protection. This means that the single sister always has to have someone else accompany them. Lucky for me however, as I got to enjoy a meal and some spiritual  encouragement with some very good people. 

I had suggested to Glenna on Sunday that she do a cold plate. She is the Relief Society President and always on the go. She thought that was a great suggestion and so we dined on sliced cold meats, potato salad, coleslaw and sliced cucumbers and tomatoes. I had baked some biscuits and made a pie to take over.  It was very enjoyable, however socially distanced we were (for safety) . . . t'was just nice to be in the company of others.  I didn't really eat much as that time of day (suppertime) I don't like to eat much in preparation for going to bed later.  I have gastric problems if I go to bed with food undigested in my stomach, so I tend to eat larger earlier in the day and only lightly at the end of the day.

The missionaries left armed with plastic containers of potato salad, coleslaw, cold meats, pie and biscuits as we were not able to eat it all and well, young men have hollow legs. They were pleased. They only get so much money a day to spend and its not a lot. They really do rely on members feeding them. This money has to pay for the gasoline in their cars, bus tickets, etc.  And if there is a week where they don't get a lot of meal invitations, then leftovers are always more than welcome.

We are a Ward which is heavy on numbers of single older sisters . . . so they don't get a lot of family meal invites.  The Senior couple which is serving here tries to have them for supper whenever they can, which helps a lot. 


 

This morning I have my appointment finally with the Doctor at the Primary Care Clinic attached to the hospital.  I am dreading it in a way . . .  worried I guess about the news from my latest blood tests.  I have tried not to dwell on the possibilities because really worry does not change anything.  Instead I have been trying to make as many changes as I can diet wise . . .  cutting way back on sugar, salt, carbs, etc. Perhaps too little too late, but will be will be.

I had never really thought about my liver before or the implications of having a sick one. Oh, you think about things like breast cancer, or bowel cancer, lung cancer, stuff like that, but you never really think about the liver.  Or at least I hadn't.  I know a few times in bending over or twisting myself I would get a really sharp stabbing pain like I had pinched something inside and I wonder now was I damaging my liver?  I remember the nurse practitioner who I had seen once about 9 years or so ago after having had some blood tests done had said something about my liver  . . .  she said it was to do with the drinking thing . . .  I informed her that I did not drink alcohol and never really had done.  She just shrugged and it was never pursued.

Clearly there was no problem in the intervening years as it has never since been discussed until now.

I suppose with my friend Anna passing from Liver Cancer in December last and Glenna's husband passing from fatty liver disease, I am putting the cart before the horse.  In any case, I am a bit anxious this morning to be sure. Cindy is going to go with me. She can help be my ears. 



My friend Jacquie called me the other night. She was all excited. She said they have the Cubii Jr. on sale on the shopping channel and it is a really good price. You need to get yourself one. She has been singing the praises of hers to me for quite some time now. What it is is a compact seated elliptical machine. It is a mini elliptical that includes 8 resistance levels and is designed to help you burn calories, improve mobility, and increase strength while you sit.  

She uses hers all the  time.  I went and had a look. It looks quite compact and I ended up buying one as the price was really good. You can also pay for it in six smaller payments over a period of time.  She says she uses hers off and on all day.  

Every little helps. I am hoping that it will help with my mobility, circulation, etc. We shall see.  It should also fit right under my desk so I can use it while I am working, etc.

I wonder what the cats will think of that! 


 

When I first sat down here to write this morning the sky outside was a brilliant blue and it looked to be a sunny day. It has since clouded over and is not looking so promising as it was. But who knows, things can change in an instant. Checking on the iPad it looks to be a mix of sun and cloud today with very little chance of rain, so we shall see. 

I have been really flummoxed this week trying to change the location on my iPad. It still has me being located in the UK and it giving me grief.  It should not be so hard to change your location.  I have a few active subscriptions on it, ie. Apple TV, an Abide App and Google cloud storage.  I was told that I had to cancel all my subscriptions first before I could change my location. You would think that sounds easy right?

The problem is with the cloud storage. That I need to downgrade to a free subscription and with that I needed to get rid of tons of stuff, which I have done, but now they are telling me I have to wait until the subscriptions I have paid for have run out.  Which means the Abide app in particular which was paid up until the 14th September.  So does that mean I cannot change my location on my google account until then?  Grrr . . . it should not be so difficult to change your location.  Why does everything have to be so complicated?

Maybe when my brother comes down he can help me.  Here's hoping. I know he doesn't like to spend his vacation time helping people with their electronics, etc. so I hate to ask him.

And with that I best leave you with a thought for today as I need to get ready for the Doctor, etc. I hope to be able to get to my comments later today! I have fallen woefully behind. I am so sorry for that. I have read them, but not been able to respond.

A thought to carry with you  . . .  

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.I've found that there is always 
some beauty left . . .
in nature, sunshine, freedom,
in yourself; these can all help you.
~Anne Frank   •。★★ 。* 。




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Air Fryer Baked Potato Wedges.  Quite simply delicious.  


I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday. I am going out to supper with my father and his friends later today. I am looking forward to that. Building memories.  Whatever you get up to today, don't forget . . . 

═══════════ ghೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒghೋ ═══════════ ‎
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!   


6 comments:

  1. Fun times Marie..enjoy every moment..Hope all is well at doctor's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! So far so good! Plus Cindy came with me and we went on a road trip afterwards. It was a very pleasant day! xoxo

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true Elizabeth, but I came away feeling much better than I did before I went. I will need to go for a scan, but she didn't seem overly concerned. She said if I hadn't been contacted within six months for the scan to get back to them so they could jiggle it along. Doesn't seem too worrisome anyways! Hugs! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hello ! I too, wish I had the energy to ready ‘dig in ‘ and garden like a pro, I seem to only pay attention to my garden when the weather is mild!…not when the plants need it! Ha! I send best wishes for a good report today at the doctor and for another delightful dinner with your dad and friends. Good luck with the ‘cloud’ thingy, it should not be so difficult !! Best, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good V! Not entirely out of the woods, but it doesn't seem to be as urgent as I was afraid. Thanks so much or your best wishes! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!