Monday 9 May 2022

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard


A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.  

 

Being able to go to church yesterday morning, partake of the sacrament, listen to the talks, sing the hymns and fellowship with the saints.  My lesson went well and at the end we each got a bunch of Daffodils. It was lovely.  I am so grateful to live in a country where I have the freedom to be able to worship my God in any way that I can and in peace. I know that for many in the world this is not an option. I hope I never take my freedoms for granted. 




After church I came home, changed my  clothes and then went to Cindy and Dan's.  We then drove to the cemetery to check mom's grave, visit with her and leave some flowers.  It is so beautiful there.  The graveyard is at the base of the South mountain and overlooks the valley. 




While we were there we also left some flowers on our Aunt Freda's grave and our Grandmothers and Great Grandmother's graves. Seven generations of our family are buried in that cemetery.  I am so grateful that we have this opportunity to go and see where our ancestors are and to think about them in a special way and to remember the ones that we were actually able to meet in a special way. 

The ground was covered with wild strawberry blossom and violets.  The birds were singing and for once it was not frigid.


 


We had fried chicken from Mary Brown's for supper last night and it was sooooo good.  I thought Cindy deserved a night off!  She cooks for dad and Dan every night.  Mother's day is a great excuse for taking a night off from that. When we had finished eating and were taking our plates into the kitchen, guess who had taken up residence in the empty bag from the shop.  Mom's cat Pumpkin.  She just loves to get into bags and boxes.  She's so funny. Mom would have loved this (after getting over her initial annoyance at Pumpkin for being on the stove that is.)  Pumpkin doesn't like eating people food, but I am sure she was enjoying the residual aromas of fried chicken in the bag.  




Meanwhile poor old Gary was sitting on the little microwave table begging for treats. He loves his treats.  He is getting really old now. I think Cindy said he is 18.  He is very vociferous. He meows and meows.  Mom always loved Gary. She used to say to me on the phone, Gary is shy. She used to give him little bits of her buttered toast. 




Not wanting to leave anyone out this is my sister's cat Jazzy. She was found under a bush outside their house, abandoned. She is actually coal black but the sun shining on her made her fur look brown. She is the prettiest cat. Her tail looks like a bit silky feather duster. She's very shy and doesn't come out much when other people are around.  She's really cute though. Such a tiny face and so much fur! 



 
I have to show you this because it made me smile. I looked over and here was nutmeg sleeping in the basket. How on earth he can be comfortable like that is beyond my understanding, lol.  He does make me laugh. 



And Cinnamon was trying to catch a fly on the outside window.  if she sees even the smallest creature moving, she is on it. She's a hunter and very quick.   


And because this seems to be all about cats this morning  . . . 




My cousin's three newest kittens.  The dark orange one is the male she thinks. That is the one my sister is having . . .  little Mac. He's a cutie.  He looks like he has the same markings as Nutmeg has.  Kittens are so sweet. 

Its a beautiful morning out there this morning. The sun is shining, the blackbirds are pecking in the grass, the chipmunk has been here begging for nuts and I can hear the birds singing.  The frost is melting on the rooftop across the way. God is good.

A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.The ultimate measure of a man
is not where he stands in moments
of comfort and convenience,
but where he stands at times
of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.•。★★ 。* 。 




Nothing too awfully exciting in the kitchen today.  I cooked some drumsticks in the air fryer the other day and they were lovely. Crisp skinned and juicy inside.  I rubbed them with a tasty rub before cooking. Air Fryer Chicken Legs

I hope that your week ahead is filled with a multitude of small and wonderful things.  Be happy and be blessed. Don't forget! 

═══════════ ghೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒghೋ ═══════════ ‎
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!   

4 comments:

  1. Fun to see all the kitties in the family. You had a lovely visit to the graveyard to visit your mom. Enjoy this beautiful spring day. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cat cuteness. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im glad you had a nice Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a lovely weekend! Happy new week to you Marie…time is passing so quickly…enjoy every minute. xo, V

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!