Saturday 14 May 2022

All things nice . . .

 

I have a small blue kettle,
A little homely thing,
And when I put it on for tea
It always starts to sing.
It makes me think of little fields
And hills all fresh and green,
Of tiny streams that slip along
Their mossy banks between.

It has a note of wistfulness
Like flutes, all silver clear --
Perhaps it was the piping of
Some fairy trumpeter.
It sings of quiet hidden pools,
Of clouds and summer rain,
Of grey waste of winter seas,
Spring in the fields again.

Bird-song and eventide . . . and still,
Deep places of the earth,
All come to me and sing again,
Beside my glowing hearth,
I hear the piping of the lark,
The sound of hurrying wings --
Here in my room . . . they whisper in
The song my kettle sings.
~Edna Jaques, The Song my Kettle Sings
My Kitchen Window





I have been enjoying the hummingbirds all week. I was the first on the street to put my feeder up but I see now a few others have as well.  I had worried it might be too soon, but within 24 hours I saw one at my feeder. The cats are obviously very excited about seeing them. 





They jump at bugs which land on the windows, etc. Anything that moves. There is a squirrel without a tail that has been visiting. He gets quite bold and comes right up to the window. They really love that, but I am not so fond of it. Squirrels can be very destructive.

There were three baby red squirrels in the birdhouse that Dan took up to the Animal rescue. They reckon they were about 6 weeks old or so and just about ready to go out on their own I guess. The neighbor sets traps for rats and things and so they figure the mother must have gotten killed in one of his traps.  Nature can be quite sad at times.  The beautiful balances out the sad however, and these three youngsters will hopefully be alright. 


 



I started a new book yesterday.  It is about the first female missionaries in the church. It is based on the real lives of Lucy Jane (Jennie) Brimhall, Amanda Inez Knight, and other early sister missionaries. This story offers a glimpse into the Church's early missionary work and into the faith and fortitude that have come to characterize the tens of thousands of sister missionaries who have followed in the footsteps of these pioneering women.  I love novels which are based on true life and on history. The author used diaries and journals of these early women missionaries. I think they must have been very brave women to have done what they did at the time that they did it. (1898)  The first of their kind and into an environment which was much more harsh and unkind than it is today.  People back then had very strange notions about the women of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Many thought that they were prisoners and chattels of unrighteous men, living in abject poverty.  They had no idea that a great many women in the church were encouraged and given great opportunities to become well educated and cultured. Women in the church are still encouraged and helped to do so today. 



Not sure if you remember when Sister Gregson (now Allenbach) from when she was serving with us in Chester. We were on our missions a the same time.  She is now in Poland along with her husband, her brother and her soon to be sister in law where they are doing humanitarian work with the refugees from the Ukraine. They went over at their own expense with suitcases filled with things for the refugees and have been working their butts off in service since they arrived.  From her IG Account:

Today we woke up jet lagged but anxious to get to work. We met at the local LDS church to get in touch with @reachhumanity who have been here for a few months. They gave us a tour of where we could help in the immediate area and then just told us to get to work!

Today we bought Valentina & Ludmilla each a nice suitcase to carry their belongings. Both of their homes have been completely destroyed back home.

Then we found Oksana, Polina, and Marina (who gave the tightest hugs ever) and were able to buy them groceries and luggage.

Derek helped a family with 5 kids get groceries as well.

The video is showing the mom and baby center that we refilled because they had nothing left. The Polish volunteers were emotional as we kept bringing more and more supplies. They are tired and their hearts are heavy due to the lack of supplies they had to offer.

The need is unreal and we feel so humbled to be here trying to make the tiniest impact. Thank you all so much for your donations. We wish we could share the hugs and love we’ve received so far with all of you.
 
You can read and see more on her Instagram account, and if you are moved to donate to help the cause you can be assured that 100% of what you give goes directly to refugee aid.  

It is so heartwarming to see young people who are being such good examples of the Savior's love to others.  I really loved serving with Kennedy when she was in Chester.  Such a lovely young woman. 




I finally got my art that I had bought from Eva Koleva Timothy framed and hung.  It looks really nice.  I love Eva's work. There is so much meaning in each painting.




This one is entitled "Grace."  And if ever anyone was in receipt of Grace it was and is myself.  It is a constant reminder to me of God's Grace and the difference it has made in my life, especially over these past few years.  Poured out abundantly in a multitude of ways.  There, but for the Grace of God go I. 




This second one is entitled "Born and Carried."  I was literally carried over many months and this will serve as a reminder to me that I am never alone and that when I feel like I cannot move another step forward in my journey, or my pain, my sorrow, my suffering  . . .  there is one who has already borne it all and who knows exactly how I am feeling. He can, will and does carry us when we cannot carry ourselves. 

Just a part of inviting things into my home which inspire and uplift me and which bring me joy.  I am truly blessed.



I did not get out to get any herbs yesterday. I am picking up my sister this afternoon and we are going to go together to get some, a planter and some dirt.  I don't want a huge variety. Just perhaps some thyme, basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary  . . .  we will see what they have.  I plan on putting it in a large planter by my front door.  I get a lot of sunshine out there most days. They will be nicely sheltered.  And in the winter I won't have to worry about the planter being destroyed by the snow.  My back yard really got hammered last Winter.  The best part of today will be doing it with my sister. Its always the best part of any of these little jaunts. 



What makes a house a welcoming home, a haven?  I think about that a lot. Home is a place that when you are away from it, it calls to you, beckoning you back. A place filled with love and peace and harmony . . .  comfort. All Dorothy wanted in the Wizard of Oz was to return "home."  'The Wind in the Willows' Mole, enticed to set off on a wild adventure, began not too long after to long for "that little curtained world" left behind.  Many of us have a home like this somewhere in our hearts. 

It takes more than a loaf of bread to create a home which is gracious and comforting to those within its walls. Its about harmony and comfort. Nothing has to be posh, it just has to say welcome, come in . . . be at peace. Love lives here.  A place of harmony. Clean and tidy . . .  uncluttered . . . but not so tidy that people are afraid to sit down. There should be a chair that invites one to sit and read, maybe even a whole corner . . .  a comfy reading corner. Comfort . . .  that is key.

It should also reflect "you." People should recognize you and who you are in all of it . . .  a reflection of your interests and loves . . .  a glimpse into your heart.  Warm and life-filled, with a pulse and a rhythm.

I will be glad when I can feel comfortable about putting out my niknaks again. At the moment I am too a-feared they will get broken . . .  but hopefully soon.  MY hands are itching to create.


There is a part of me that longs to make another doll house.  Perhaps not as fancy and expensive as the last one.  We shall see what happens. Perhaps that is a project for next Winter.

I am so pleased with my little home.

And with that I best leave you with a thought for today  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Each day is a different one, 
each day brings a miracle of its own.
Its just a matter of paying attention
to the miracle. ~Paulo Coelho
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Almond Joy Chia Pudding. This was absolutely delicious and it is no sugar, low carb, diabetic friendly.  A pudding anyone can eat and enjoy.


I hope you have a beautiful Saturday filled with nice things and people and blessings. Whatever you get up to along the length of your day, don't forget  . . . 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!       

 

10 comments:

  1. A doll house would be a lovely project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post about home, Marie. When I was in the hospital those 5 weeks, I longed for home. Enjoy your outing with Cindy. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. East West Home is Best Elaine! I am sure you must have missed your home and Larry so much. I was so pleased when you could finally go home. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hummers are such fun to watch. A pot of herbs sounds lovely for you, just pop out the door and snip what you want. Have a lovely Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda! I love watching the hummingbirds. That brings me a lot of joy! xoxo

      Delete
  4. You’ve made such a delightful home for yourself. A herb garden will bring you such joy! Enjoy your day with sister. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much V! We had a lovely time together. We always do! xoxo

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elizabeth! Yes, we all have our own trials to overcome for sure! The pudding was fabulous! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!