Monday 23 May 2022

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard


A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.  


 

 
Yesterday I was set apart in  new calling at church. I am now a counselor in the Presidency of the Young Women's. This means I will no longer be teaching in Relief Society. I am sad to be leaving Relief Society but I am excited about what this new calling will teach me about myself and the ways it will help me to grow.  It is a calling I have had before in the past when I was living down in Kent and working at the Manor.  Things have changed a lot in Young Women's since then so it will be another learning curve.

Our church has auxiliaries for all ages. There is the Primary program for children, then Young Men's and Young Women's for the youth (12 to 18) and then the adult programs for the grownups (Relief Society for women, Priesthood for men.)  Every member of the church falls under an umbrella of care and learning.

Because we have no paid clergy, each member of the church receives a calling, or a job as it were. You don't have to accept them, its a choice, but most people do.  These are opportunities for us to serve and to learn and to grow and stretch.   I have enjoyed every calling I have ever been given and accepted.

When you accept a new calling you are set apart and blessed by the laying on of hands to be given whatever it is that is needed to be able to do that particular job and honor that particular responsibility.  I think it is a very beautiful thing. 





Being invited to Cindy's for supper on Sundays, well any night of the week really. Just getting to spend time with my sister and family. I love them all so much.  Its nice to be around them and enjoying their company.  I love that she thinks to include me. I need to have them over here more I think. 

Cindy has made great strides in her rabbit. She has the ears all sewn on and is ready to start putting things together.  I have not gotten any further than cutting it out the other day. I will probably have to lock the cats up for an hour or so in my bedroom one day, so that I can get the machine stitching done. 




I have been looking at these miniature kits on Amazon. You build tiny worlds from scratch yourself. Apparently they come with everything included, with the exception of the building tools, tweezers, glue, etc. I am thinking about getting one, but perhaps I need to wait until the cats are older. Right now they want and expect to be a part of everything I do, so it might just be an exercise in frustration for me and for them as I try to keep them out of the process.  I do miss my doll house however.  In any case I have plenty to do to keep me occupied at the moment. It is just an idea for me to be thinking about  . . . 




Its hard to believe how quickly everything has greened up. It seems in just a week of warmer weather all the leaves have popped out on the trees and the lilacs are in bloom. Cindy had a nice bouquet of them in her dining room yesterday. They smelled so beautiful.  I love lilacs. They are only here for a short time, but while they are we are richly blessed with their color and smell. 




Its apple blossom time here in the valley! We live in an area here in Nova Scotia where lots of apples are grown. My first husband's family had orchards.  If you get off the main roads and into the countryside, you will be greeted with oceans of apple trees in bloom. There is even a festival each year called The Apple Blossom Festival.  They haven't been able to hold it for a couple of years but apparently they are holding it again this year, although probably scaled back from years past.

It was always a big deal when I was growing up, with parades and all sorts.  Each town would have a princess and the Queen (Queen Annapolisa) would be crowned at the ball on the Saturday night.  




Its been a very big deal here in the Annapolis Valley for many, many years.  In fact the town I live in, Middleton, is considered to be the heart of the Annapolis Valley. It is our claim to fame.




Its hard to believe but I have been living in my little home now for over a year.  I am still very happy to be here and enjoying every moment of my life. I was worried that I would be lonely and there are times when I do feel a bit sad about all that happened, that is only natural . . .  but for the most part I feel very content and settled. I love my little home.  I love my cats.  I love my life. I am blessed.



 

These two little furry companions of mine. They are great company.  Nutmeg is often found next to me wherever I am sitting.  He will periodically reach out and touch me, or put his paw up to me, flexing his fingers in a "high five" and I "high five" him back. Its really cute.  Whenever I am doing anything, they want to be a part of it. It can be a bit of a nuisance at times, but I just remember that the alternative is to be completely alone and I would not trade their company for anything. 


 


This is their home. I love them very much.  I would not have it any other way. 

My life is a mix of all things pleasant and comforting at the moment. I still do not have enough hours in my days to do all the things I would like to do, but I am enjoying every minute of them.  I try to stick to a schedule otherwise I wouldn't get as much done as I do get done!! My days have a way of escaping from me!  But its like I tell my dad, the world won't stop if he goes to the mall later for his breakfast in the mornings, and mine won't stop if I don't get this or that done in the time frame I set for myself.  Whatever. I have only me to please really and what's the rush on anything.

Its falling a gentle rain this morning.  Its Victoria day here in Canada, so a long weekend bank holiday. Nothing is open.  It seems funny to me that everything is always open on Sundays  . . .  the Lord's day, but come Victoria day, etc. nothing is open.

And with that I will leave you with a thought for the day . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.Give your gratitude space to grow,
and you will see your whole world change.
~Steve Maraboli•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。 

 


In the English Kitchen today, Fish Finger, Chips & Beans.  I don't really have anything brand new today, and this is an old favorite.  I have a special way of dressing up a tin of baked beans.

I hope your week ahead is filled with lots of small and wonderful things. May your cup runneth over! Don't forget! 

═══════════ ghೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒghೋ ═══════════ ‎
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!   

6 comments:

  1. Your home is lovely..porch..door ..geraniums..Home sweet home:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique, This is a photo from last year. I still have to get my planters for this year. I want geraniums again though. I love them! xoxo

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!