Monday 7 March 2022

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 




"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard


A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best. 


 
(source


We are living in a world that is all too often very unkind.  I think it has become even more so since the beginning of this Pandemic, or  maybe I have just noticed it more.  People seem to have lost their filters.  They say whatever they like to whomever they want to say it, whenever they want to say it, without any thought as to how cutting or hurtful or damaging their words might be. People have become very self centered and selfish in many respects.

But there are just as many kind people out there as well. The only difference is they speak with a softer tongue and walk with a gentler step.  Their voices get lost in the tumult of the other ones.  I think it is important that we don't allow their voices to be drowned.  We need to seek out the kinder, simpler, more loving ones, ways . . .  voices . . . . and pay heed to them rather than to the others. Don't give unkindness a foot hold in your life, or a toehold in your door and heart.

When the loudness threatens to drown out the meek, turn off the loud. 




My heart breaks at all of the images and news coming out of the Ukraine at the moment  . . .  at the thought of all of the suffering that people are going through.  It is so sad.  It is an opportunity for the rest of us to step up and do what we can. My heart has been uplifted by seeing rows of empty children's strollers being left at train stations and the borders of the Ukraine for the women and their children who are escaping the war. My heart is uplifted by all the reaching out that is going on by others on the behalf of the Ukrainian people.  I, myself, cannot do much physically or financially, but I can pray and I am praying, as I know we are all. We live in a world now that is acutely aware of the suffering of others.  We must do whatever we can to alleviate the suffering, even if all we can do is to pray. I believe in the power of prayer.  We may feel helpless, but we needn't feel hopeless.  


 

Robins in the snow  . . .  a sure sign that Spring is well on its way.   This time of year looks so mucky, the snow so dirty.  The roads here where I am are full of pot holes. There is said to be two seasons here, laughingly, Winter and pot hold season.   I don't think I have ever seen as many pot holes as I have seen in recent weeks and some of them are really bad.  You have to dodge them as you are driving.  So far thankfully I have done no damage to my car.  Count your blessings where you find them. 

Spring is on the horizon. 

 


I haven't seen any here yet, but I know they will be seen now in the UK. I used to love seeing the crocus coming up and the primrose, the daffodils  . . . so cheerful after the long Winter.  

I am so grateful however to be back here in Canada, over a year now.  To be near my family.  To be able to talk to my sister every day and spend "real" time with her often.  To hear a knock on my door and for it to be my father just popping in to see the cats.  To be able to talk to my brother often.  To be in almost daily communication with my oldest son and daughter and for facetimes with my middle son and his family. 

I am grateful for old friends that I am renewing acquaintances with here in Canada. Not in person yet due to Covid, but hopefully soon.

There are many things I miss about the UK, many people.  It will always hold a huge place in my heart and I am grateful that I got to live there while I did, to see the things that I did, to experience the things that I did, to make the friends that I did.   I will always have a heart in both worlds. 

 

Music and the Spoken Word.   This is a program I watch and listen to every Sunday. It always fills my heart with the good feels.  It started as a radio program in 1929.  The Choir at Tabernacle Square and Tabernacle Orchestra of Temple Square (formerly Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra).  I was very blessed to be able to attend it in person at the Tabernacle when I visited Utah back in 2009 and that was a wonderful experience.   I usually listen to at least one program every morning and it really gets my day off to a great start. In a world where all the bad voices threaten to drown out the good, being uplifted with good music and thoughts and voices is a very good thing.



 


The opportunity I have had over the past year and a half to tap into the happiness within.  I never thought I would be happy again, but I hoped that I would.  It was a struggle, sometimes a daily struggle, often an hourly struggle, sometimes even a struggle just by the minute.  I still have my moments that are filled with sadness, but they are fleeting.  I discovered that the happiness, the joy was always within me, and there for me to draw upon.  It wasn't found in other people, or in things, or even in places . . .  but deep within myself.  I carried it with me.  I am at peace with others and with myself.   I have discovered that it is possible to feel and to find joy, even in the midst of our sorrows, and our losses . . . and that it is this joy that helps us to bear them and to overcome them.

Sometimes you need to lose yourself in order to find yourself.  


 
(source


I can say with every ounce of my being that I am grateful for the hard and rocky path that brought me to where I am now.  My God met me in the hard places and did not abandon me.  I learned to rely on Him in a way I never had done, and He gave me the strength to move forward.  He did not remove the wilderness, but He provided a well. 

Life is good.  I never thought I would be able to say that again and to know it is true  . . .  to feel that.  But here I am and life is good. I hope I never get tired of sharing that goodness with you, and I hope that you never get tired of reading about it.


Sweet Cinnamon
Now that is contentment . . . 



A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.The joy that we feel has very 
little to do with the circumstances of our lives,
and everything to do with the focus of our lives.
~Russell M Nelson •。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。



 
In The English Kitchen today . . .  Mississippi Pot Roast.  This is truly amazing. One of the most delicious pot roasts I have ever cooked.

I hope that you have a wonderful day and week, filled with lots of things which bring you joy and peace.  Along the way don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!       




8 comments:

  1. You fought for your happiness..going through a lot and you won:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think anyone of us could do what I did. Its not easy for sure, but somehow we muddle through it! It beats the alternative! xoxo

      Delete
  2. We need to start praising the good people instead of the other kind. Really mild yesterday which led to so much snow melting, but rain/snow/ice rain mix today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Linda! The noise gets all the attention! We need to praise good people. We really do. This time of year is a real mixed bag of weather for sure! xoxo

      Delete
  3. It's always good to look back and count your blessings, makes the whole world a little brighter ! You hav been blessed over and over and have so much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much to be said for having a "place to land" when life overwhelms a person...so glad you did!! We are hoping our place opens up soon so we can get this next move done with. But timing is everything and so often we simply cannot know what is best...or at least I feel so. Blessings on your continued lovely life, Marie!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never tried of reading your words! Happy Monday, V

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooops! Never TIRED ….not tried. 🤦🏼‍♀️ Duh. Sorry, V.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!