Tuesday 17 August 2021

The Simple Woman's Daybook . . .

 


FOR TODAY, August 17, 2021

Outside my window ...

Its cool and calm. The sun has not long since been up.  Its 11 degrees out there this morning and I have already walked to my post box and back. It is supposed to go up to 26 today. I don't mind hot days when combined with cooler nights.

I am thinking ...

Occasionally I get an e-mail/comment/message asking me to explain what happened all over again.  I am sorry but I just do not want to rehash what happened again and again. If you want to know or need a reminder,  you can go back into my archives from November/December 2020. Rehashing the events is painful for me and counterproductive, and very much not where I am at now. I am in a good place now and I don't want to backslide into sadness. 

I am looking forward to ...

Thursday when my babies come home! Today my sister and I are going to PetSmart to pick up what I need in the way of supplies. I have been losing sleep worrying about if my house is kitten proofed enough! 

I am thankful for ...

Faith, family, friends . . .  

In the kitchen ... 


Easy Baked Mac and Cheese.  This is so simple. You just stir some things together in a casserole dish, cover and bake in the oven for about half an hour.  Add some cheese, stir again, bake for a few minutes longer, top with toasted panko and serve.  Easy peasy!  A delicious small batch recipe.

On my "To Cook" list ... 


Food 52.  The most famous cake on the Amalfi coast. Looks delicious!  Its a hazelnut sponge filled with an almond stuffed cream.  Looks fabulously tasty to me! 

One of my favorite things ... 


My living room.  I just love it. 

I am wanting to create ... 


Miss Mustard Seed, watercolor tutorial/study of Berthe Morisot's "on the cliff." 



Melle Blossom.  Easy crochet dish cloths.  Free pattern.  Love the bright colours. 



The Whoot.  Crochet Hydrangea.  Pretty. 



Ravelry, Theodore the little bear.   Cute! 


Redwork embroidery. No source. Just eye candy. Love it. 

I am reading ... 


Gap Creek, by Robert Morgan 

There is a most unusual woman living in Gap Creek. Julie Harmon works hard, "hard as a man" they say, so hard that at times she's not sure she can stop. People depend on her. They need her to slaughter the hogs and nurse the dying. People are weak, and there is so much to do. 

She is just a teenager when her little brother dies in her arms. That same year she marries Hank and moves down into the valley where fire and visions visit themselves on her and where con men and drunks come calling. 

 Julie and Hank discover that the modern world is complex, grinding ever on without pause or concern for their hard work. To survive, they must find out whether love can keep chaos and madness at bay. With Julie, Robert Morgan has brought to life one of the most memorable women in modern American literature with the same skill that led the Boston Book Review to say that he writes "with an authority usually associated with the great novelists of the last century." 

 In this novel, Morgan returns to the vivid world of the Appalachian high country to follow Julie and Hank in their new life on Gap Creek and their efforts to make sense of the world in the last years of the nineteenth century. Scratching out a life for themselves, always at risk of losing it all, Julie and Hank don't know what to fear most--the floods or the flesh-and-blood grifters who insinuate themselves into their new lives. 

 Their struggles with nature, with work, with the changing century, and with the disappointments and triumphs of marriage make this a powerful follow-up to Morgan's acclaimed novel, The Truest Pleasure. 

I have only just started this book. 


Dreaming about ... 

 

Patchwork quilts  . . . 

 

Spindle beds  . . . 

 
(source

Flower sprigged dresses  . . . 

 

Maybe next year  . . . 
 

 

Blueberry tarts  . . . 

Something to watch ... 



Cooking with Paris, Netflix.  Good for a laugh. 

Makes me smile ... 


This is so true . . . 

Corners of my kingdom ... 


Waterfall in Margaretville.  Photo by my sister in law.

A thought to carry with you ... 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Do something today that your future self
will thank you for.•。★★ 。* 。 

And that's my daybook for this week  . . .  
  

⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆

  ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆   
 

  




✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.• ╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░  
 

 
  

I am way behind on my comment responses, blog reading, etc.  This is a super busy week. I promise to catch up!!! Have a beautiful day and don't forget!  


═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═════════     


And I do too!     
   




5 comments:

  1. Your Miss Mustard Seed rendition looks amazing.As far as I am concerned she is an amazing do it all perfectly.She does everything.What an accomplished young woman.
    I dont blame you for not wanting to rehash.
    It's all there and you're not there anymore..
    You are light years ahead.
    Have a great fun day shopping for C and N:)Maybe you need another.CNN:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your life is about to change big time with the addition of two kittens. And nice they can keep each other company. too. I can hardly wait to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Marie! Love, love, love today’s ‘thought’…..
    Enjoy a happy day in your sweet living room. xo, V

    ReplyDelete
  4. If someone asks about your past, u can tell them that u choose to live in the present. You don’t need negativity in your life, u only want to stay positive and be happy Marie!
    U don’t need your life cluttered up again bc u are doing better than ever! Your even walking to the po, that’s exercising and getting healthier! Don’t listen to anyone that wants to put u down bc you’re doing great! Look at all u have accomplished so far! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of kitten-proofing - Be sure and get a scratch pad or two. It might not be a bad idea to get a small squirt gun pistol as well, or something of the sort. A quick squirt will discourage bad behaviors, such as climbing on the furniture or scratching table legs. Also a good reminder (from a long-time cat mother) if you are going to give wet food, get a can lid at the pet store, they usually have them in a variety of sizes. I give a third of a can of Fancy Feast to my babies daily. Here in the states, that is about 22 cents a day. It's more of a treat. I also feed them in the evenings, because if you do it in the morning, you will never be able to sleep in. I also give a few treats at bedtime and that seems to satisfy them. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!