Tuesday 24 August 2021

The Simple Woman's Daybook . . .

 

 


FOR TODAY,  August 24th 2021

Outside my window ... 
Its overcast and very humid. I think we are expecting some rain later in the day. When I was a child we used to have wicked thunder storms in the summertime.  Haven't experienced one of those in years.

I am thinking ... 
17 new Covid cases here in Nova Scotia as of yesterday since Friday. Sadly, I don't think this is ever going to go away. 

I am looking forward to ...
Seeing all of the autumn colours. The vivid reds and oranges and yellows. Its been a while. 

I am thankful for ...
Vaccinations, masks, sanitizers and common sense. 
 
In the kitchen ... 

 

Air Fryer Onion Rings.  Sized for two. I think I am getting the hang of this thing! 
 
On my "To Cook" list ... 



Little Sweet Baker.  Bakery Style Blueberry Streusel Muffins. These look very yummy! 
 
One of my favorite things ... 


Its a Maritime thing. Made right here in the Maritimes. 
 
I am wanting to create ... 



Michaela Bates on Ravelry.  Heat in bloom. Love this. Not free but not expensive. 
 
 

Stitching Together.  Wrap Me in Diamonds Crochet Scarf. 


All Free Crochet.  One hour slippers. 
 


Winding Road Crochet. Scrap Bag. 
 

Maria's Blue Crayon.  Chunky Ear Warmers. 
 
 
I am reading ... 


 

Gap Creek, by Robert Morgan 

There is a most unusual woman living in Gap Creek. Julie Harmon works hard, "hard as a man" they say, so hard that at times she's not sure she can stop. People depend on her. They need her to slaughter the hogs and nurse the dying. People are weak, and there is so much to do. 

She is just a teenager when her little brother dies in her arms. That same year she marries Hank and moves down into the valley where fire and visions visit themselves on her and where con men and drunks come calling. 

 Julie and Hank discover that the modern world is complex, grinding ever on without pause or concern for their hard work. To survive, they must find out whether love can keep chaos and madness at bay. With Julie, Robert Morgan has brought to life one of the most memorable women in modern American literature with the same skill that led the Boston Book Review to say that he writes "with an authority usually associated with the great novelists of the last century." 

 In this novel, Morgan returns to the vivid world of the Appalachian high country to follow Julie and Hank in their new life on Gap Creek and their efforts to make sense of the world in the last years of the nineteenth century. Scratching out a life for themselves, always at risk of losing it all, Julie and Hank don't know what to fear most--the floods or the flesh-and-blood grifters who insinuate themselves into their new lives. 

 Their struggles with nature, with work, with the changing century, and with the disappointments and triumphs of marriage make this a powerful follow-up to Morgan's acclaimed novel, The Truest Pleasure. 

I have only just started this book. Its really good! 

Dreaming About ... 


Bumble bee hair pins  . . . 

 

Heart Shaped Cookies  . . . 

 

Garden Tomatoes and Mozzarella  . . .  

 


Country Roads  . . .  

 
(source
 
Toasting Marshmallows  . . .  its been years and years  . . . 

Something to watch ... 


BritBox.  Time starring Sean Bean and Stephen Graham.  Excellent.  

Makes me smile ... 


I Dream of Jeanie  . . . loved this show when I was a child . . . 
 
Corners of my kingdom ... 


Sambro Lighthouse.  Source unknown. 

A thought to carry with you ... 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Whatever's good for your soul.
Do that  . . . ° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 
 
And that's my daybook for this week  . . .  
  

⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆

  ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆   
 

  




✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.• ╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░  
 

 
  

I am way behind on my comment responses, blog reading, etc.  This is a super busy week. I promise to catch up!!! Have a beautiful day and don't forget!  


═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═════════     


And I do too!     
   



6 comments:

  1. We watched Time last night..EXCELLENT.
    Started nine perfect strangers I had read the book can't stand it it seems to me casting is way off and Like Martha watching Nicole's face not move is eerie..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait for the second episode of Time, but I am a huge Sean Bean fan. What channel is nine perfect strangers on? xoxo

      Delete
    2. Botox. Her face is frozen from Botox. I don’t know why women do that to themselves. It’s not attractive I. The least.

      Delete
  2. I love a good thunder storm, too. And I love the Sambro lighthouse. Those autumn colours can't come soon enough. It promises to be another hot, humid day. Stay cool. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you about the humidity Elaine!! It seems that there are only two options. Cold as heck or hot and humid! Love and hugs always. xoxo

      Delete
  3. I’m loving all the crocheted things esp the scarf! My Mom use to crochet a lot b4 she got arthritis in her hands. I remember she made me some purple and wte sleepers, but don’t remember if they were knitted or crochet. I had a bag like that but it was colorful and a skirt that had diamond shape colors with each row a different color. I loved that skirt but didn’t wear it much bc I stupidly told someone where I bought it and her and her friend wore that skirt every week after! I didn’t want to be twins with them bc they had quite a reputation! One day some guy said I look like them with that skirt on! I was mortified and told him I’m not a scumbag! So I only wore it at home after that! Never told anyone else where I bought something after that, which was out of town bc I didn’t want the same look a like outfit on again. I had a job so that I could buy my own clothes and not ask my parents for money when I was in high school.
    I love the beautiful lighthouse! B4 my nephew Dave went to heaven he went to many lighthouses and took pics! He died to young bc I was a teen when he was born!
    Stay safe and keep cool Marie!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!