Monday 21 June 2021

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard


A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.  

 


I was reading Even This, by Emily Belle Freeman last night in bed and she was talking about finding sand dollars on the beach, and how the ocean is her favorite place to pray.  I wondered to myself.  What is my favorite place to pray?  

"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing."
~1 Thessalonians 5:16-17

I tend to pray right where I am at, and I tend to have a constant prayer running through my head that grows and continues throughout the day as it goes along. Oh, sure, I have dedicated prayer sessions, but I do pray constantly. If a person's name pops into my head, I will say a little prayer for that person. If I experience a tender mercy, etc. I say a little prayer of thanks. Not all of my prayers need to be or are formal prayers. I tend to think of prayer as a continuous conversation with my Heavenly Father. 


 

She also asked "What do you need God to be?"  That question has been running through my mind all night.  I am not sure I know the answer to that, or that it is a definitive answer.  My immediate thought was I need God to be present.  And by that I meant I need to know that He is always there, at all times and in every situation.  And I am happy to say that I do feel His presence most of the time.  But who I need God to be actually changes with my circumstances and with whatever is happening. Sometimes I need Him to be more than present.  Sometimes I need Him to be a God of action, other times I need Him to be a God of forgiveness.  And then there are other times when I need Him to be something completely different . . .  father, teacher, forgiver, help-mate, burden-sharer, miracle worker . . .  I guess I need God to be many things and all things, but mostly I just need to know He is there.

What do YOU need God to be?  Its a thought provoking question for sure. 
 
 

From Heavenly Fathers to earthly fathers.  I am so grateful that my father is still here and that we got to spend some time together on Father's Day.  My sister cooked a beautiful tasty meal.  I baked a pie.  Dad was in his glory.  Its too bad my brother could not be here.  I know he is longing to be able to come home and spend some time with Dad.  It will happen.  I hope and pray that it happens. My daddy was the first super-hero in my life, and he's been protecting me, or at least trying to ever since.

 

Family. It is everything to me. This past week I have enjoyed watching all of the fledglings coming forth with their parents.  They are so fun to watch.  Learning how to fly, find food for themselves, stay safe.  Co-incidentally this is also the season of graduations, when our children graduate from high-school, ready to begin new chapters in their lives.  High school graduation is a bitter sweet time. You hope and pray that you have given your children wings and knowledge strong enough to protect and keep them in the new chapter of life which awaits them.  You want them to fly, but a part of you also wants to keep them tethered even though you know that it is better for them to fly.  For them, they are on the cusp of the rest of their lives, ready to make decisions that will, for the most part, determine what the rest of their lives will be.  You pray that they always make wise choices, even if intellectually you know they will not.  We act, we fall, we get up and we act again.  Its all a part of growing and strengthening.  

 

Pie. One of my many weaknesses that I pray daily to be able to overcome  . . .  I fear I am a lost cause when it comes to pie . . . and potato chips  . . .  and French fries . . .  and chocolate . . .  and so many things.  All involving food. It is a battle I wage daily. 
 
 

Rhubarb . . .  love the stuff.  I need to buy some rhubarb crowns to put in for next year. 

 

Fiddleheads. I saw the first ones I have seen in a very long time in the grocery store on Saturday.  They are not something I ever ate when I was growing up and they are not something I have actually ever eaten, but I have always wanted to try them. People love them. I have heard they taste a bit like green beans. Maybe one day I will try them. 

Life is filled with abundance at the moment. My cup does runneth over.  I am blessed continuously from the windows of heaven, or maybe I have just learned the art of finding joy in small and simple things.  Yes, I think that is it.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *The flower that blooms in adversity 
is the rarest and most beautiful flower
of all. ~Mulan•。★★ 。* •。★★ 。* 




 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Grilled Steak Sandwiches.  Delicious!  (I know I always say that, but its true!)

I hope your week ahead is filled to overflowing with goodness.  Your day also.  Whatever you get up to, don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too.




6 comments:

  1. We love watching the bird families too. I had lots of rhubarb this year, even gave quite a bit away. I’ve never had fiddle heads either, but my friend from Nova Scotia tells me they are delicious. Some much needed rain for us today. Have a good Monday,

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are blessed to have your father to celebrate with. Mine has been gone several years now. I do have some wonderful memories to hang on to of Father's Day in the past. They keep me going on the tough days. Hope you too have a wonderful week ahead. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiddle heads grow in my secret garden:)I can't say I am thrilled about them lol.I love looking at them..but to eat..not thrilled..
    I don't remember celbrating Father's Day.I remember buying my mom cards and gifts..It's so long ago.. things escape me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We ususlly have one feast of fiddleheads when they are in season. Their flavour reminds me of spinach a bit. With butter, salt and pepper, delicious. I just put a blueberry corn bread in the oven. Have a lovely week. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this post is a thought provoking one. What do I need God to be? I often think if Him as a parent that I's sharing my life with. Sometimes, as I pray I like to think that my head is on his lap aa I am kneeling and that I just want to share with Him all this going on in my life. Usually these moments are when my life is overwhelmed. I loved your thought on this.
    I think it is the best ever to read about your times with your father. Enjoy every precious moment. I would love more than anything if my father was still here. I miss everything about him. I do hope brother can be there soon.
    I do think we can learn alot from watching birds have their little ones. I love how protective and watchful they are over their little ones. Nature is an incredible sign of a loving Heavenly Father.
    Have a beautiful week sweet friend! HUgs~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photo of your dad and siblings….sweet smiles, memories.
    Have a happy new week. xo, V

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!