Wednesday 26 August 2020

Wednesday this and that . . .



Here's your sweet lavender,
Sixteen sprigs a penny,
Which you will find, my ladies,
Will smell as sweet as any.

So goes an old London Street cry. Some days I wish we still lived in the age of street cries . . . every so often I imagine in my mind what that used to be like . . . to hear people walking by the house yelling out their wares. What a fabulous cacaphony of sound! There are many other things about that era I would not wish to live however, so I'm happy to be born when I was!

You will often see lavender referred to as Old English Lavender, but in reality, it's really a Mediterranean plant brought to these shores by the Roman's more than 2,000 years ago, to perfume the water in the baths that were so very important to them. In fact, that is how it got it's name . . . from the Latin word "lavo" . . . meaning "I wash." 
 
 
 
(source)

The lavender in our garden is slowing down now . . . it's scented stalks drying out . . . but just a few weeks ago it was covered with bees, busily collecting the nectar. Have you ever tasted Lavender Honey? I have, and it's most delicious. Monks of old grew lavender, both for the bees and the honey, but also for all sorts of medicinal purposes . . . it being said that  
 
"Flowers of the lavender comfort the brainses very well." 
 
Nowadays these flowers are still dried to be used in lavender bags or potpourri . . . to add fragrance to our homes, or distilled to produce lavender oil. We even cook with it. I have a bottle of pesticide free lavender in my spice cupboard even now . . . and a small pot of lavender sugar. 
 
Our lavender bush out front now is getting rather sad looking. It still blooms profusely during it's season of joy . . . but it is rather overgrown now and needs to be replaced I think . . . or cut right back . . . I'm not a gardener so I'm not altogether quite sure what we need to do with it. Perhaps I should look it up. 
 
(our cottage in Kent) 
 
Our cottage in Kent had a lovely huge bunch of lavender growing in the back garden. I used to love sitting at the picnic table watching the bees at work.  
 
 
 
At the Manor itself, there was an Elizabethan Lover's Knot garden out front which was planted with lavender. It was so very beautiful when the lavender was all in bloom . . . it was so very beautiful even when it wasn't in bloom! It was just plain beautiful. I sometimes miss that very pretty environment that I got to work in . . . although I have to say that I don't really miss having to work for them . . .  
 
 
In all truth, none of it was really worth the price I had to pay for living and working there.  I have PTSD from all I experienced in that toxic work environment, with night terrors etc. Other than that, it was quite a once in a lifetime experience to be sure and there were a great many aspects of the job I did enjoy such as being able to stretch with and explore all of my culinary ambitions.  I am really quite proud of the work that I did there when all is said and done.  For a humble girl from podunk small town Nova Scotia, I did me well. 
 
We are still being battered by Storm Francis. I am not sure how long this is going to last but its pretty wet and windy!  Poor Mitzi didn't get any walks yesterday and I am not sure if she will get any today! Probably not if what I am seeing outside our dining room window is anything to go by! 

And with that I best leave you with a thought for today  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
Kindness comes in many forms
but always from the heart.•。★★ 。* 。 
 
 
 
Baking in The English Kitchen today . . . .  Vanilla & Blueberry Breakfast Cornbread!  Its delicious served warm, split, buttered and drizzled with honey!
 
Have a great day. I hope that you are able to carry God's love with you all the day through today! Bless you all, for you surely bless me. Don't forget! 
 
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
 


And I do too!   
 

 
 

9 comments:

  1. The world seems full of those who will not be pleased!! I am sure those ungrateful former bosses miss at least some of your delicious food...you are a great cook!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am sure I was very hard to replace, but then again if you have enough money you can buy just about anything, bar the things in life that really matter! Thanks Elizabeth! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Lavender, along with roses and poppies, are my favorite flowers. The smell is intoxicating. I've had my share of horrid bosses -- I feel for you. We have a break today in the humidity we have been having here in NY. Tomorrow its supposed to be humid again but we'll see -- autumn is not far away! Enjoy your day despite all the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain has cleared now Mary and the air smells like rain and rose petals. We will be enjoying the roses I am sure into October or later. Happy day to you also! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Marie, so sorry to hear about your PTSD after your 8 years working at the manor. You certainly paid a very high price for the few benefits you received from working there. I saw your comment on Susan's blog. Sure hope you win. I'm so sorry to hear of your sister's most recent loss. She has suffered more than enough. I found your lavender musings lovely to read. Take gentle care. Hugs and love, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you get to a point where you just want to shake your fist at the heavens and say enough already! Pick on someone else. It is her daughter I feel really bad for. They are only very young. I don't hold out too much hope. I doubt I shall win, but it would be nice! Love and hugs always, xoxo

      Delete
  4. THose Manor gardens were something else..I prefer the cottage:)And I know the food was stellar!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three full time gardeners 365 days a year Monique! The Estate was huge and the gardens were quite beautiful. We took care of our own. Todd loved it so much there. xoxo PS - I like to think the food was stellar!! I was told I was the best chef they had ever had. I will take that compliment.

      Delete
  5. Yum! The cornbread looks delicious. I need to try this one. All your recipes are so good.
    I loved all your thoughts on Lavender! It is a magnificent bush. I didn't know a lot about it until I read this today. Thanks for sharing it all.
    I'm sad about your PTSD from your work environment. I can relate a little. I loved being a nurse, but some of it was sad. I worked in an ICU off and on and that was pretty traumatic. I then did Hospice too.
    I do hope that sweet Mitzie can get out soon.
    Sending love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!