Sunday 30 August 2020

A This and That Kind of a Day . . .


I have a very poorly doggie here again this morning.  I knew she was not feeling too well last night because she didn't want her normal 8 pm treat.  We watch The Gilmore Girls every night at about 8 pm (we are so predictable). As soon as she hears the music she gets all excited for her Gilmore Girls Treat which is simply a few cheese wotsits in a small bag that she can have the fun of digging out. I know she is very spoiled, but it is what it is.  She also did not come upstairs with us.  Normally she comes up and sleeps next my side of the bed all night.  She also gets a gravy bone before bed.  I give her half of one and Todd gives her the other half. She loves those. 


They are only tiny, but she loves that bedtime snack and it was definitely not like her to miss it  Also earlier in the evening she kept barking to go out. In, out, in, out, in, out . . . .  

This morning she has not even sniffed her dentastix (she gets half a medium one each day to clean her teeth), nor has she eaten her breakfast.  She has however thrown up once, and is now sleeping on the sofa.  

She was drinking water out of her pool yesterday, even though I told her not to.  I wonder if that has no gone well for her.  In any case, Todd is emptying it today and putting it away.  Just in case. 

Its always so worriesome when your furry family members are not well.  



  

Over 10,000 anti-lockdown protesters gathered in London yesterday at Trafalgar Square to protest  against lockdowns and vaccination programs. No masks. No social distancing. Apparently there were quite a few taking part throughout the world.  They believe the pandemic is just a hoax perpetrated by the World Health Organization and Governments in order to subdue and take control of the people.

What are they . . . .  crazy? 

I wonder if they have an answer to just what it is that is causing all of these deaths worldwide.  Or an answer to why Governments would bring down their own economies for a hoax.  Perhaps they would like to have one on one conversations with anyone who has lost a loved one to this virus, loved ones who have had to die alone without anyone to hold their hand? 

This behaviour is so irresponsible and puts the lives of everyone at risk.  Their actions are prolonging things.  Causing surges in the virus.  Making a mockery of those of us who have followed the rules in an attempt to bring this crazy virus under some kind of control.  What will they do when our health care system has been brought down, unable to cope with the numbers of our sick?? How will they feel when they are the ones fighting for their lives and no ventilators are available, or hospital beds, or care workers, etc.? 

I can tolerate a lot of things, but uttery stupidity combined with a total lack of respect for others always makes me angry. 

I feel the same way about people who believe that the Holocaust never happened and was a hoax, or that the earth is flat.  Come on  now . . .  



I spent a great deal of time yesterday working with my son to make some good changes to the food blog.  I am in the process of being accepted by Mediavine as one of their food blogs.  They take their bloggers really seriously and I have had to do things like change the size of my font, the format of my writing, etc. It will be well worth it in the long run I believe, and its been really fun working with my son at this.  

I am really hoping that he will want to start doing the occasional post with one or both of his boys for on the blog as well.  He thinks its a good idea, so we will see what happens. It can be the "family" business. His youngest son wants to be a vlogger when he grows up. This could be good practice for him. 


Some children have already gone back to school, but I know in Canada and in this country the majority of children will be going back this next week. My son's boys are going to be having a very adapted way of learning this year, with staggered classroom hours and numbers, much online learning, etc.  My oldest son's youngest son is quite anxious about returning to school, and I think all of them are actually a bit anxious about it and I don't blame them. I would think that any parent at this point would be quite nervous about it and what might happen. It must feel a bit like playing Russian Roulette with their loved ones lives. 

As a Grandmother, I am nervous about back to school.  I am glad it is not my choice to make because I know I would have a very difficult time sending my kids back to school. I am afraid I would want to opt for home schooling, but at the same time I know I would be rubbish at it. 

My brother and his wife home-schooled their four girls right up to their last few years in high school and they did a brilliant job with it. You need to be really dedicated and very organized in order to do it successfully.  It is hard work and takes a lot of planning.  I really applaud anyone who can do it and do it right.  My brother's four girls are all very accomplished and intelligent and all have gone on to secondary education. One has a great job as a graphic artist, one is a nurse and the other two are still in full time education. 

(Cloisters of Magdalen College, Oxford) 

My sister and I were brought up right on the edge of the women's movement.  Although we were greatly encouraged, and in fact expected . . .  to get a high school diploma, that is where any encouragment ended.  Aside from that, the only thing we were encouraged to do was to get some kind of secondary training that might keep us in work until we got married to a man who would then take care of us. The idea of us ever going to University or having "careers" was never even contemplated.  Those eggs were all put into my brother's basket because . . .  he was a man and was going to have to take care of a family one day.   

I took secretarial and I have never really worked as a Secretary.  I took Chef's training in my early 40's. My sister did some book-keeping/accountancy courses later in life and works part time at that now, but for many years she worked as a fitter for a construction company, making doors and such. Very physical labour. 

Our careers for the most part were basically raising families and keeping homes, and the years I spent doing that were some of the happiest years in my life. Being a homemaker brought me great joy.

Our parents did the best for each of us that they could.  They did what they thought was right. I will always be grateful for a childhood where I was safe, well cared for and loved. 

I feel that I have accomplished quite a lot despite having got a late start in life for that, and I am proud of all of it, and I am proud of my Sister and who she is.  My parents did the best that they could for us and raised three very good, kind and caring people. There is nothing wrong with that. 


We all be good people,
and that is because we had a set of really good parents.
 

And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day . . . 


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
sometimes its better
to refrain from deep introspection
and just allow yourself to be.• ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •


 
In The English Kitchen today  . . .  another small batch recipe  . . .  Sweet Almond Bread Pudding with a Blackberry Sauce.  Delicious! 
 
Have a wonderful Sunday. It is quite cool here this  morning, but the sun is shining and so far there is nary a cloud in the sky.  Whatever you get up to don't forget! 
 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
 
And I do too!   
 



10 comments:

  1. Poor doggie...they really need care like babies, don't they? Have you seen the latest from the CDC? They now say that only about 6% of the death cases were actually from the Covid. Might be near that in Britain too. We with health issues ALWAYS should be more careful not to catch things, plus do all we can to shore up our immune systems...this will not change after Covid goes either. Nor should it have been otherwise before. I heard that one country had almost no cases...they said they all just washed their hands a great deal...hmmm, that was something that so many here in USA forgot they ever knew. It was getting so risky going out to eat etc as you saw a lot of horrid germ stuff in bathrooms. So we all needed the wake up call. I do not think the full story is out yet either, Marie...everyone might be very surprised at why the extreme rules put out by govt. But I am hopeful that what I have heard as the real reason is true...the world will be a much safer place eventually if it is. We rarely leave the house anymore either. I do shop some, but order in things so much as we can. Hubby only sits in the car. We do eat out in our favorite little Pho place every so often. We are not near others and the staff are masked. We do NOT want them to go out of business and I think all restaurants are nearly gone. So sad!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the scariest thing about this virus Elizabeth is that they know pretty much nothing about it! It all seems guesswork to me. Love and hugs. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Well it is good to know that it is not only our country that is having an issue with protesters. I am glad I am tucked in the country away from the it all. I do believe covid is an issue as the college in the next town has been in a week and has 9 positives.
    good luck on your food blog I do visit it once and a while.
    hope your dog is feeling better soon.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope she feels better soon..that is exciting your Mediavane etc..like a shot of adrenaline in these times.Sweet son🙏3 of our Littles are back in school..one tomorrow..
    First football game yesterday in the pouring rain ..only the youngest ..the school of the big boys are still analyzing.

    So much to think of..
    I would say you are extremely accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really hoping it will work out to being mutually beneficial for both of us! Scary for the littles to be going back to school! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Hope your baby is feeling much better. What a worry for sure. It is a cozy world when anyone can think of this whole virus thing as a hoax. We've got to take it seriously, so we can stop the spread. We can get through this if we work together. Take good care and hope you have a wonderful Sunday. A bit cooler here , it's a nice break from the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I don't think that we will see any great improvements until people really start taking this as serious as it really is! ove and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  5. Poor Mitzie! Hope she is on the mend. Such a worry for you and Todd. I think people who refuse to wear masks or refuse to believe the coronavirus is real do not have loved ones suffering from the virus or dying from it. Such good news about Mediavine and the possible involvement of your son and grandson. You must be so excited. I just bought the October issue of Victoria, so lush with autumn awesomness. Can't wait to read it. Is it available in England, Marie? Well, here it is Monday, soon, the start of another week. Take gentle care. Hugs and love, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine! Ohh, I always loved Victoria magazine Elaine. No, I am not able to get it over here. I used to buy it years ago. It was a real favourie of mine. I cannot believe we are at the end of August! Its crazy! Love and hugs always, xoxo

      Delete
  6. I feel so sad to hear that your Mitzie isn't feeling good. I know we be come heart sick when our Sammy is struggling with something. He will be 12 years old in October and he is slowing down. I can't imagine our life without him.
    You really described the protests and riots well and I agree with every word you wrote. It is really awful here and then all the political and election stuff going on makes us wonder where it is all going. What makes it even more difficult is I have a Daughter in Law that is into the conspiracy theories and will soon attend a protest in Orem, Utah against masks. They planning on burning them. I just can't believe that people won't wear masks for others. Love your neighbor is a foreign thought for sure. I feel sad about it all. I love their family and I love her; however, she does have some mental stuff going on for sure.
    I'm excited about your food blog. I think you have an awesome one. I love that your son is helping you with it.
    My grandchildren are back in school with masks and distancing However, I think the distancing isn't the best. Thus far there have been some outbreaks of the virus in their school district; so I don't know how that will go. My granddaughter, Sariah that has been living with us just returned to Utah State University and already they have two dorms that have cases. This is really concerning. Meanwhile, some of my grandchildren are doing work on line and then I have a daughter who has home schooled for years.
    I always just wanted to be a homemaker and mother too. I pretty much got to do that; except for a few years during the raising of children, I worked as a nurse. I did go to BYU's nursing school and happy I had that to use when I did have to work. I loved being a nurse. The best is just being a Mom.
    Sending hugs your way to you two!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!