Saturday 15 August 2020

All Things Nice . . .

(source

 Today I am flooding my page with all things that are nice, because in the light of what we have been going through in the year 2020 to date, we could all use a little bit of nice.   


  

Mitzie hasn't been feeling really well most of this week. It may seem crazy, but she's my baby. It was ten years ago on my Birthday that she came to live with us. She was so tiny, only 8 weeks old. She was so brave, leaving her mother and siblings and coming to live in a strange place, but ours was a mutual love affair right from the beginning.  This week has been so hot and miserable.  I bought her a swimming pool. It didn't cost much, less than a tenner. It arrived yesterday and our next door neighbor helped us to blow it up with her car lighter blower up thingie.  I wasn't sure if Mitzie would like it or not, but she jumped into it right away and went back a few times to enjoy it. It made me so happy to see that she was happy and enjoying it.  Yes folks, it is truly the simple things in life which bring us the most joy.  




You know how I have often spoken of the house my ex, children and I built many moons ago and how much I loved it. I found a photograph of it this week. This is it!  What a labour of love that house was.  We built this together from the bottom right up to the top.  My mother's friend George put the rock garden in at the front.  Mom bought all the plants for it and George did all the donkey work. When I think about it now, I remember thinking back then he was a pretty old guy to do that, but I am actually older now than he was then! Funny how old doesn't seem to be so old when you reach  and pass it!  That house had the most beautiful kitchen. Custom built cabinetry, built specifically to my own design. Those were some of the happiest years of my life with my baby chicks all around me, my lovely comfortable home and a best friend living an arms throw away. 

I guess Life has lots of pockets of happiness in it. If you can look at each of them and say, those were some of the happiest years of my life, and there are LOTS of them, you are a very blessed person.  And I am. 


In a quiet nook amongst the hills, 
where great forest trees interlock their branches and form deep shade, 
a little stream takes its rise. 
It springs out from among the rocks and goes rippling over the stones,
only a tiny thread of silver at first as it begins its way towards the great sea.
Other streamlets join it as it flows, and it goes on
gathering and increasing in volume,
until it becomes a river, bearing commerce on its bosom,
and emptying at last into the broad ocean.
~J R Miller, Home Making 

(Source)  

Once upon a time, in a land faraway   . . . 

When I was a child I believed in fairy tale endings.  The Prince on the white horse would ride in to the rescue and everyone would always live happily ever after.  Life taught me that's really only true only in fairy tales . . .  or it it?  Happiness is a perspective and a choice we make. Each day of our lives. Sometimes the Prince on the white horse is nothing more than your attitude towards the rocks and potholes you run into along the pathway.  Happily ever after is ultimately a choice we make and really up to us. I don't believe there is any such thing as a charmed life.  Everyone faces struggles and challenges from time to time. 2020 has been, and continues to be a great struggle for many people.  The ghostly fingers of the pandemic have scratched themselves across the blackboard of everyone's lives. Nobody is immune. Do you have enough? If you do. You are blessed beyond measure for many do not.  Having enough is a form of happily ever after. 


   


If one searches externally for elegance one might 
search in vain. Instead, create the world 
you want to live in. 
~Unknown  


  

  
(source)   

Quality over quantity 

A handful of perfectly ripe berries brings us much more joy than a bucket-load of  not-quite-there-yet berries. 




Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. If then God so clothe the grass, which is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith? And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind. For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things. But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you. Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
~Luke 12:27 - 32



Is there someone you haven't heard from or spoken to in a while?  Why not take a few minutes today to pick up the phone or shoot them an e-mail just to say you were thinking of them in the nicest possible way.  What a mood lifter that would be!  For you and for them! 


  

When I look at the years in my life I can clearly see that it has been made immeasureably better through the sharing others have done of their gifts with me. You may not think you have a gift, but everyone does.  Some people's gifts are not as obvious as others. You may not be a great painter, or singer, or actor or writer, but perhaps you have the gift of making someone feel good about themselves, or being a good listener.  Gifts shared are gifts multiplied an hundred fold.  That reminds me of the parable of the talents . . .  



I was lucky enough to have seen the Eiffel Tower when I was about 4 years old. It was shrouded in pea soup fog. My mother had a old photograph of me standing in front of it. You can barely see the feet of the tower or make me out. I have often wondered through the years why she kept such a photo, but now I think I know. It was a memory, shrouded in fog or not. It was a precious memory for her, and now for me.  I had always hoped I would see it again, unshrouded in fog. Somehow I don't think that is going to happen now, but how lucky was I to have seen it at all! 

And with that I will leave you with a thought for today  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
Mere colour can spread to the soul
in a thousand different ways.
~Oscar Wilde  •。★★ 。* 。 



I small-batched one of my favourite recipes.  Zucchini Coffee Cake, with the flavours of browned butter in its batter and its streusel, and its warm baking spice flavours, this cake spells winner/winner! 

Have a great Saturday! Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
 
And I do too! 






10 comments:

  1. That would have made me excited seeing my doggie enjoy a pool..Well done..If ever there was a summer for pools here 2020 is ..was it..
    so hot and humid.

    Some people just work at being not that nice to us..even if you were to chat..the drama would return..trust me.

    Unbelievable.

    Your home is so similar to the first home my parents bought when I was 10..except reverse...raised bungalow..bedrooms to the right living room to the left kitchen as you walked up straight ahead.

    :)
    Have a good weekend..


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun watching her enjoy it!! I think you are right some people are just difficult to get along with. We are who we are basically and a leapord does not often change its spots. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Forgot to mention the Eiffel tower was a bit of a disappointment to me..the base is flooded with merchants of all sorts..well it was 2 yrs ago..they never show that in pics..;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, sort of like the money changers at the temple in the bible. I would not like that! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Happy to see your doggie in her pool - I so hope she feels well again very soon. It's so painful when our furry friends aren't feeling right.
    And the messages in your post today are so inspiring - thank you. Also love the photos of those green peas in blue and white dishes and the doves.
    Hoping you have a healthy,happy week-end,
    Mary












    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary, I hope that she is feeling a lot better today. SO far so good, fingers crossed! Happy healthy weekend to you also! xoxo

      Delete
  4. I love your all things nice page.. Truly a lot of nice things to think about in your life. I do have all I need and that is a blessing in more way than one. I'm not hungrey, I've got a home, I've got clothing. There is truly nothing I need. I'm way to blessed to become stressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, like you I am also one of the blessed! xoxo

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad Mitzie is feeling better. Loved hearing about her new pool and seeing the picture of her enjoying it. It must have been difficult for you to leave the house you built. It's lovely. Lots of nice things for us all to be hankful for. I'm going to make your zucchini cake. I'm feeling better, Marie., thanks. My sciatica has eased up a lot and I am able to get some sleep. Wishing you many pockets of hsppiness. Hugs and love, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of all the heartaches I've experienced in life Elaine, that was one of the most difficult. I hope you enjoy the zucchini cake! Its really good be warned! I am happy your sciatica is easing up! Yay! Love and hugs, oxoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!