Saturday 15 May 2021

All things Nice . . .

 
(source

I may have to get me one of those accordion type of clothes dryer thingies so that I can hang my wash outdoors sometimes.  I will miss the smell of line dried wash I think. 

In any case I thought it would be nice to give you a small glimpse of what I have been doing so far in my new place.  I am not finished by any stretch of the imagination, but its a start. 
 



My little corner of the world at about 6 this morning. The sun is up, not a cloud in the sky and I hung up (or should I say my sister) the hummingbird feeder yesterday.  I haven't seen one at it yet. It may take them a while to find it.  Over in the UK there were no hummingbirds.  I really missed them!  I am looking forward to becoming reacquainted with them! 

 

What's in a body anyways.  Miss Piggy, her head is all I need to enjoy her presence in my home. She looks quite comfortable sitting where she is don't you think?  I need to get a new frame for Eileen and Tim's wedding picture. The one I had was all glass and quite broken.  I may look for one today at the drugstore.  They have nice giftware in there. We'll see. 

 

A few of my treasures on another shelf.  A wee painting from Monique that I adore and my Jemima Puddleduck from Elaine.  They, too, look very comfortable there. That is a metal enameled candle holder I had gotten from the Swedish home supply place before I left to come to Canada.  


 

This lovely bowl is living on my coffee table. I got it at Winner's in New Minas once last Winter when we had gone to Michael's. It was only $7. I fell in love with it and hummed and hawed about buying it, but now I am happy that I did. I love it. 

 

This was my one indulgence. Its a rocker-recliner, swivel chair. It cost more than the sofa but I still got a deal on it, and I know I will spend a lot of time in it. My blanket I crocheted over the winter looks nice there and will keep my toes warm next winter. Yes, that's the shawl I crocheted for my mother the last Winter she was alive.  Its like having her here to hug me and say there . . .  there  . . .  

I bought that cheap floor lamp on Amazon. Its my only lamp in the house, but boy does it ever give off a lot of light.  The shades are plastic, but you don't notice until you touch them. 
 
 

And a little chair to curl up in.  Right now it holds the three dolls I managed to bring with me. But I am hopeful that one day it will hold a wee grandson who lives very near by.  Hope springs eternal.  Buying this wee chair was an act of faith on my part.  That little stool in front was a small wooden stool that my son Doug made in Industrial Arts when he was in Grade 7.  I tole painted. I am happy it made the trip.  It is a family heirloom . . . 

 

When I bought my Susan Branch Calendar last year, little did I know that it would be May this year before I could hang it up and that I would be hanging it up in Canada.  Life is a funny thing.  Home Sweet Home. 
 
 

Another of my purchases.  Its not white, but why quibble when the price is right. A floor model and at less than half the price of a new one. I was very fortunate that my old Ward back in Chester was able to sell some of my furniture, etc. there and I had some money to buy myself new furniture.  The man at the Home Hardware in town was an angel and gave me really good deals on everything, even my washer and dryer. I managed to be able to buy everything for less than what I had budgeted for and still had a bit leftover. 

 

Not quite as big as the sideboard I had in the UK, but it is enough for me. That tray on top lifts off which is cool. Another floor model.  That is a wee postcard that my father got in Sardinia when he was there with the air force one time, working on Canadian aircraft. He brought back two.  They are flocked. My sister surprised me by putting one in a mat so I can hang it up once I get a frame. I love it. LOVE it!  It is a painting of a woman in the costume of Sardinia.  My friend Jackie surprised me with that salad bowl on the bottom shelf and that is my old tin coffee pot from the UK.

 

The room looks a bit sparse at the moment, but the bed is very comfortable. I don't have curtains yet, but I did buy some single sheets to make some.  I like that everything looks so tidy without stuff to clutter it up. 
 

The view from the dining room looking down towards my front window. I think things are coming together very nicely. I cannot wait for my bright braided carpet to arrive.  It will pull things together very nicely I think!

 

And finally, this is where my television will live when I get it.  Its a tv stand with a built in electric fire. Another floor model. It will also give off some heat on really cold days in the winter.  Some of my art I have waiting to be hung up. A few waiting for frames, but it will be a while before we can go to Michael's again.  That's probably a good thing! 

And so this was a tiny little glimpse into what I have managed to do so far. It doesn't look like much, but surprisingly it has taken me a while to get everything together and in it's place. I do love the spartan look of it.  Fresh and uncluttered. I will gradually work my personality into it a wee bit at a time. 

The lockdown here is set to continue on into June now they say. Yesterday we had 171 new cases. That doesn't sound like a lot, but for a tiny province like Nova Scotia it is a lot.  Lets hope they are able to bring it under control.

I am having my sister, Dan and dad over for supper tomorrow night. My first meal in my new home. I am looking forward to that! It will be fun! I haven't entirely made up my mind what I am going to cook yet, but will be going to the grocery store early this morning and make up my mind then.

In the meantime I will leave you with a thought for today  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
For what it's worth,
its never too late, or in my case,
too early, to be whoever you want to be.
There's no time limit, stop whenever you want.
You can change or stay the same, there are 
no rules to this thing. We can make the best
or the worst of it. I hope you make the best
of it. And I hope you see things that startle you.
I hope you feel things you never felt before.
I hope you meet people with a different
point of view. I hope you live a life you
are proud of. If you find that you're not,
I hope you have the courage to start
all over again. ~F. Scott Fitzgerald
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。 

A bit long, but I loved this. 
 
 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Hermit Cookies. I small batched the recipe to make just 15.  Delicious!

Have a wonderful Saturday. Be happy. Be blessed, and enjoy something nice.  Don't forget along the way! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!



 





21 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tour! Looks fabulous! You are doing a great job putting it all together. Enjoy your beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new home looks wonderful Marie, love the chair, afghan and your Mom’s shawl. What fun shopping for your first dinner party. Enjoy the beautiful day. Our lockdown has been extended till June in Ontario too. As long as it works and gets the. number of cases down it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Linda. I am wanting now to put some plants outside, but we will see what happens next. They say to leave the garden the first year so you can see what is already there! I'm with you, lets stay locked down and be obedient to that so that we can get the number of cases down and manageable! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Love your new home, Marie. You have everything so nice. Your colourful rug will anchor everything. Your first dinner party, how exciting! All you need now is that furry little companion. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs and love, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elaine! Yes, a furry companion will be next on my list, but I do think I will wait to find just the right one! I will know it when the time comes! You enjoy your weekend also! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  4. It's looking great.So happy for you..Love that fireplace/etc..that blanket looks like one of mine I am sure yours is better crocheted..The thought of you having your family over is such a great thought.I can't believe how far you've come.Seems to me life will be far better here..And it's all YOURS.
    Not just seems..it's a knowing..and that red car..I mean come on..I really am discovering a new person here.
    Good for you.
    Keep us posted on the menu..
    Marie you never had this much independence back in Chester..Kudos.Buhbye back there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Monique. I KNOW I will be much happier here and have much more independence and freedom! I feel like I have been let out of a cage! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hi Marie,
    I love your home, lovely. I pray all good things for you my dear.
    Hugs and prayers always.
    Bev.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bev! Your prayers and hugs mean a lot to me! Stay safe and happy! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely home Marie. So happy for you and the emerging renewed joy and contentment that is fully yours to embrace after such unimaginable upheaval... and all accomplished during a global pandemic no less. Remarkable. Well done you! May the blessings continue.

    Especially love the picture of your beautiful Jess taking pride of place above the sideboard <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jen!! I was talking to my dad this morning on the phone and tell him how light it feels to have the specter and weight of the last months lifted from my shoulders now and to finally be entering into the light at the end of a very dark tunnel. I love that picture of Jess. I wish I had one of Mitzie to go with it. I will have to see if I an find an artist to do me one. They would be lovely together. xoxo

      Delete
  7. Your nwq home looks wonderful and slowly but surely adding your own touches will make it yours. So glad you a doing so well. I love your electric fireplace. I'd never seen one like that before. A new rug will brighten up the room for sure! Relax and enjoy your new place !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pam! Its a dedicated tv table/fireplace, so the television will go perfectly on top of it and there is space for a dvd player, etc. as well and the remotes can fit inside the doors along with dvd's as well. Furniture that is not only functional but pretty also! xoxo

      Delete
  8. Looks to me like you have made quite a bit of progress rather quickly really...glad you are having fun putting it all together!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elizabeth. I have a ways to go yet, but I will get there! xoxo

      Delete
  9. What a lovely job you’ve done, putting things together, getting settled! It all looks so delightful. I’m so happy for you. I can just imagine your family enjoying your yummy dinner around that dining room table, talking and laughing....charming. Wishing you many happy cozy days to come.... xo, V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much V! It is far from finished, but I am enjoying every minute of the journey! I see much joy and yes, happy cozy days to come! xoxo

      Delete
  10. Oh, that is a wonderful thought Becky. I know I think of mom every time I see a white feather. Its like she is saying hello to me. Thanks so much for your sweet words. Happy Saturday. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have already accomplished a lot of decorating in your new home, and it looks pretty, as I knew it would when you apply your artistic touch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dear Marie, I love all your furniture and your decorating items too. I like the clean look. This year after Christmas, I didn't put back a lot of stuff I had in the past. It looks nice to not be cluttered. Of course, a little clutter is floating back in. I am just so happy for you. I love the small chair you got and your cute items on it. It's just all looking so nice.
    Big hugs for you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!