Wednesday 23 December 2020

Wednesday this and that . . .

(source)  

Small busy flames play through the flesh-laid coals and their faint cracklings o'er our silence creep like whispers of the household gods that keep a gentle empire o'er fraternal souls. . . . Many such eves of gently whispering noise may we together pass."
 ~Keats, to his brothers

I woke up about 2 am last night to go to the loo and I could see that Christmas Star out of the top half of the window in the bedroom I am sleeping in. I was pleased. We hadn't been able to see it on the night before that as it was too cloudy and overcast. Seeing it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. The last time this happened was 800 years ago. I am not sure how they know these things, but somehow they do.  One can't help wonder if it was not this same planetary phenomena that brought the wise men to the Saviour all those many years ago . . .  it was some sort of planeary phenomena for sure. 


Stars, Chrismas, light  . . . these things just seem to go together. A trinity of goodness and warmth. I know for many this is a very difficult time of the year and that many struggle to find the light.  I am so grateful that I am not one of those. I have always loved this time of year, even in times of struggle. A half glass full person I especially like to ponder on and think about my blessings and opportunities,  of which there are many. The Spirit of Christmas is the spirit of light and of love.  The Christmas spirit is the Christ Spirit, and I am so grateful for my belief and faith in Christ. Especially this year.  I am very grateful for a heart that is able to see the hand of God in my life, even during my lowest moments.


I took this photograph from the side window in the living room yesterday morning.  There was what we thought was a deer eating in the brush.  Then we saw a white flicker of another tail and knew there was more than one. They blended very well into the environment. A Doe and her yearling/fawn.  Such a precious sight. All mothers love their children. Such a touching sight. Your heart cannot fail to be moved at such a thing. Are we not all mothers at heart?  I think so.

I have seen them across the road moving in the trees behind Bonnie and Bob's over to Mrs Crow's. But I had not yet seen them in this yard. According to my sister there has sometimes been huge groups of them moving through this yard.  The river is across the way just down the hill from those properties so this appears to be a popular crossing point. 
 
Nature is so wonderful. This is where you can truly see the workings of our Heavenly Father. In nature . . .  animal, flora, fauna . . . the earth. Beauty to be found in even the most diverse of locations. 

 
We ventured out to the shops yesterday to get a few bits.  I was surprised that they were not overwhelmingly busy such as they would have been in the UK. Mind you this is a very rural area in comparison so that probably makes a big different. Had we been further up country it might have been quite different.  WalMart was fairly busy.  

I saw a woman pushing a cart around with her mask hanging over one ear.  Technically I suppose she was wearing a mask, and I don't like to make judgements on others, but I did steer clear of her as much as possible.

The other weekend I picked up a turkey for Christmas. We had read in the grocery flyers about this special kind of turkey being on offer and we had wanted to get one of those, but there were none, so I had picked up this one.  Then on Monday we had seen the turkeys we had originally wanted in the store. We did not pick one up, but then in retrospect, we thought perhaps we best go back and get one. Bourbon and Butter infused. It sounded good. 

My sister usually gets given one at work, but when she had been in there on Monday, no turkey, just a gift certificate for a shop in her card.  We decided to go back yesterday and get one of these special ones and that's what we did.

We had not been home long when the phone rang and it was her work saying they had a turkey there for her.  hahaha  Now we have three.  We are blessed. And I am one of the few in this family who actually likes turkey.
 

Dad had called me while we were in WalMart. He wasn't feeling very well.  He was quite dizzy. He has been on anti-biotics for a bladder infection, at least four courses of them, recently.  He had bad vertigo, but we checked his blood pressure three times, his temperature and his blood sugars. All were reasonable. We were quite concerned. He did not want us to take him to the hospital. I think he was afraid that he might be kept in and that's not anyplace anyone wants to be at the moment.  Cindy made his bed and tidied up a bit. Dad and I chatted and Cindy made him a sandwich for his lunch. We made sure he had water, and that his phone was nearby and a book to read. We also got mom's walker for him with a promise that he was not going to go anywhere, not even to the loo, without it.  

He was very tired and looked pale.  But he was determined to stay at home.  Then he did drive to Cindy's for supper and home again afterwards.  He called when he was home and in bed and now this morning he says he is feeling much better. I am so grateful to be here and with him at this time.  This is a blessing I never got to enjoy with my mother.  This is the silver lining of my cloud. 

 

All is pretty much in place now. There is not a lot else for us to do.  I am so very grateful to be living in a place at the moment where the virus is pretty much under control and we are reasonably safe. We have enough to eat and drink. We have each other.  Things are not perfect, but they are reasonable and comfortable. So far our family is untouched and safe also. May it be ever so.  My brother and his family are on lockdown in Ottawa, my sister's family in London, Ontario. My children and grandchildren are all thankfully in the Maritimes, which is doing very well during this Pandemic. We have always been pretty isolated here from the rest of Canada. I am so grateful to now be in this bubble.  Some might say luck and timing, and maybe yes it is partially that.  But I like to think of it more as having been directed by the Lord on what and when to do what I had to do. So grateful for that. 

Presents under a prettily decorated tree are nice.  Christmas foods and goodies are nice.  But what is even nicer is the spirit of Christmas and that doesn't come in a package tied up in a bow. It lives in our hearts, and is there on tap, ready to be enjoyed 365/7. You can't give it to anyone. It is something they need to find within themselves. There is no secret to its discovery. Its a choice we make. And some days it is harder to make that choice than others. It is a feeling of peace, hope and comfort that is priceless and yet free for the taking.

I know I am a very blessed person to be able to avail myself of it. I wish everyone could.

A thought to carry with you . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛
I am the Christmas Spirit— 
I enter the home of poverty, 
causing palefaced children to open their eyes wide, 
in pleased wonder. 
 
I cause the miser’s clutched hand to relax
 and thus paint a bright spot on his soul. 
I cause the aged to renew their youth
and to laugh in the old glad way. 
 
I keep romance alive in the heart of childhood, 
and brighten sleep with dreams woven of magic. 
 I cause eager feet to climb dark stairways 
with filled baskets, leaving behind 
hearts amazed at the goodness of the world. 
 
 I cause the prodigal to pause a moment 
on his wild, wasteful way and send to anxious love 
some little token that releases glad tears—
tears which wash away the hard lines of sorrow. 
 
I enter dark prison cells, 
reminding scarred manhood of what might have been 
and pointing forward to good days yet to be. 
 
I come softly into the still, white home of pain, 
and lips that are too weak to speak 
just tremble in silent, eloquent gratitude. 
 
 In a thousand ways, I cause the weary world 
to look up into the face of God, 
and for a little moment forget 
the things that are small and wretched. 
 I am the Christmas Spirit.•。★★ 。* 。 
 


In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Perfectly Cooked Prime Rib.  Deliciously simple.

Have a wonderful Wednesday. I can't believe tomorrow is Christmas Eve.  Stay safe, stay happy and don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
 


And I do too!  
     
 
 




11 comments:

  1. So glad you have so much now..family..love..companionship..food..happiness..♥YAY.Yay.Yay.Love the fawns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully you are all doing well and keeping safe there. Here is scary with the virus going around like wild fire. You do have a lot to be thankful for this year !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be safe, healthy and happy is an extra special blessing this Christmas Pam. So thankful! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are all ready for Christmas. So glad you are near family and in such a nice area. I love your posts because they are so positive and you see the blessings in your life. That is a gift. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Deb! Merry Christmas and all the best for 2021! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Worried about your dad, Marie...having those issues ourselves. We have learned that sometimes we do get dizzy and unwell...and often we need to drink more water. Esp. when taking antibiotics!! It is hard to remember to drink enough. I have seen some special marked bottles on other blogs that help a person keep track of how much they drink. We here have an insulated bottle and one plastic see-thru that hold maybe 3-4 cups each...so we know we need to drink at least 2-3 of those a day...it helps us keep track. We do not get as thirsty as we should...part of getting older. Take care...glad you are there to help keep tabs on dad!!
    HUGS, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully he was feeling a lot better yesterday Elizabeth! Being here is an extra special blessing. xoxo

      Delete
  5. So glad your dad is feeling better, Marie. It's a bit scary when older people don't feel well. I think it's magical you saw the Christmas Star. It was too cloudy here. And you have three turkeys. No one will go hungry at your house. Funny how that happened. Christmas Eve tomorrow. I'm going to read Susan's book. Have you read it yet, Marie? Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to see the star again last night Elaine! So beautiful. I have not read it yet no! Love and hugs to you and Larry. xoxo

      Delete
  6. I think you must be in a lovely area to be able to see the two stars and to have deer in the yard. I do love all of God's creations.
    I think it is fun that you have three turkey's. Lots of leftovers for sure.
    I do hope that your Dad is doing much better. It is sweet that you can be with him and watch over him too.
    I am happy to read of all the blessings that have come your way with this move. I think it is awesome that all of your family is doing well too.
    I do love the spirit of Christmas the best. I love the Nativity and reading Luke 2 and all those kinds of things best of all.
    I love Christmas music and it brings me great joy. The joy of giving is sweet too.
    May you have a lovely Christmas Eve day!
    Sending loving thoughts and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!