Monday 14 December 2020

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 

 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard  
 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.  


We picked up a Christmas arrangement yesterday and went to visit mom's resting place.  It is a very well kept cemetary. op99999999999999999m,  (Jazzy agrees.)  I hope mom likes them. Gone but never forgotten.
 
 
Sunday meetings and lessons via zoom. Where would we be without them. I am so grateful for the technology which enables us to be able to stay in touch this way even if we can't get to church or our meetings. I had been waking up in time to still watch the one in my Chester Ward, but unfortunately the last few weeks I've not woken up in time.



Dan's been kidding about wanting a truck for Christmas, so I got him a white truck Christmas ornament. (Very similar to the above ornament.) Its nice to not be on my own and to have family to joke around with.  
 
 
Its nice also to have family to spend time with, doing things which bring us all joy and help to pass the time away. I had not played Yahtzee in years. It was fun. My sister won. No surprise there. She is really good at games and things. 
 

One thing I have always loved each year is sending out Christmas Cards. I always spend a lot of time picking out just the right card for the right person. I am afraid this year they will have to be e-cards, but I hope they are received with the spirit of the intention I have in sending them. I just can't/haven't the way/means to do them this year like I had in the past. Part of Christmas which I really love is being able to stay in touch with friends near and far and to remember them in some tangible way like sending a card. 

 
I love to watch the Nativity every year. Our children's Sunday school from our church Ward in Chester always put on a Nativity each year.  I think they have filmed it this year, so I am hoping to be able to watch it on line. We had a huge primary/Children's Sunday School. There were easily more than 45 children. It should be quite nice. 

 
One thing which I always really enjoyed each Christmas in the UK, was the Christingle services at the Church of England churches.The service has children in mind. The children all make and present their Christingle and songs are sang in the dark with the only light coming from the candles on the oranges. This service tends to be an evening one so that the candles can be really effective and atmospheric. Although Christingle is to help children understand Jesus, adults are also encouraged to participate in the service by carrying their own Christingle.
 
A Christingle is a symbolic object that represents Jesus and the light he brings to the world through the Christian faith. The orange represents the world. The blood of Christ is represented by the red ribbon around the orange. The sweets/ fruit stuck into the orange with cocktail sticks are meant to show the four seasons as well as the fruits of the earth in substance. 
 
 The Christingle as a whole is meant to show Jesus being the light of the world in the Christian text. Christingle literally translates to ‘Christ Light.’ It is a beautiful Christmas Tradition.  Usually all of the children are dressed as biblical figures as well, shepherds, angels, etc. 

 
I love this. She is such  smart woman.  I have never read anything she's written without it resonating in a profound way with me. 

I am so grateful for all the small and simple things in my life which serve to remind me that I am not ever alone and am always loved. 

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
Remember to take care of yourself.
You can't pour from an empty cup.
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。 
 
 

I am sharing  my mom's Peanut Butter Fudge in the English  Kitchen this morning. It wouldn't be the same at Christmas without it.

I hope your week ahead is filled with an abundance of small and wonderful things.  Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!   





















            


9 comments:

  1. Despite being raised in the Anglican Church I have never heard of Christingle. Thank you for sharing this lovely tradition with us. It is the small things we remember and cherish like you giving Dan a truck ornament or me giving Larry a tin of sardines ornament because he loves sardines. Enjoy your day, Marie. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of it until I went to the U.K. Elaine! It was one of my favourite things to attend at Christmas. The spirit was always beautiful and the children’s excitement palpable! Love and hugs! Xoxo

      Delete
  2. You have settled in perfectlY..he must have loved his gifts and you have many lovely times ahead of you.At last..yousaw your mom's resting place and have adorned it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It ia often the small things in life that mean the most!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are home now where you're loved and meant to be!
    You'll be around all your family again after the pandemic is gone! Now your just minutes away from your younger daughter, so sooner or later you will see her and your grands! For instance, taking a walk or in the grocery store, it's called faith and it will happen, but everything takes time Marie!

    My Mom has always made pb fudge like that, but now she makes us make it. Lol.
    She taught me the method of putting some liquid in a glass to see if it was ready, so I never used a thermometer for that kind of fudge.

    My Dad use to go hide some for him in the upper cabinets and when we got bigger, he would hide it in his sock drawer. I don't know why bc he would always share with us {5 kids} when the other fudge was gone. Then my Mom would make more if my Dad asked her to!

    I think I will make some of their fav pb fudge for them with a few other treats I'm making and put it on my porch, so my brother can pick it up for them.
    Can't see them right now, just like Thanksgiving! This quarantine just sucks!!!

    Have a fantastic week! ❤



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much J! I loved reading your fudge memories. My dad kept butterscotch wafers in his sock drawer. It would be such a treat when he shared one with us! Like you I am getting sick to death of Covid. Xoxo

      Delete
  5. It is lovely to put a Christmas wreath on your Mother's grave. I wish I could do that. We did see my parents graves this fall; which was lovely.
    Zoom is such a blessing in our lives. I love that we can attend church meetings. I did watch one of your in Chester on Zoom when you gave the link. It was a missionary's fireside.
    I love the truck ornament you gave Dan; its adorable.
    Roger and I need to play some games; you are inspiring me.
    I'm trying to get Christmas cards out and I hope to do some today. I do love the old vintage designs.
    I think it is awesome if they have a Nativity with the children over zoom. I wish our area would try and do something like that. We are still so quarantined and the primary can't ever meet. I like the Church of England celebration; that's awesome.
    I'm glad you know that you are never alone and I am happy you can be with your family this year.
    Sending love and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!