Saturday 28 November 2015

How To Spend a week . . .



 photo 64328_506495496078425_214501617_n_zpsc94806e7.jpg

Our week began as it usually does with us going to church on Sunday and attending our meetings.  I cannot imagine not having church to go to on Sundays.  It is such an integral part of our lives.  I know that it is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is our cup of tea and there are so many good things about it . . .  the partaking of the sacrament and reflecting on our covenants and lives . . .  the listening to the talks, (which I always really enjoy. Seriously.) then it is the Sunday School  Lessons and also Relief Society and the things we share there.  It is being together with a family of like minded people, the adults, the children, just everyone.   The rest of the week . . . we must live in the world, and lately it has not been such a nice world to live in, but on Sundays we have the opportunity to know and feel like a part of a large and loving family of believers.  We get to recharge our spiritual batteries.  There is nowhere else I would rather be on a Sunday morning.

Sunday afternoon I always call my mother.  It is always so nice to hear her voice and to catch up with the going's on of the previous week.  I would call her every day if she would let me, but I know that would be a huge intrusion into her life so I content myself with once a week and treasure it for what it is.

We spent the evening quietly, reading, reflecting, discussing.  We had several large talks to read over and study before the meetings coming up on Wednesday and so we did.


 photo 45549_507293572665284_823474924_n_zps7c9ac89a.jpg

ha ha  I could not resist using this photo.   Monday was our P-day, or Prep Day as it is commonly known.   We tidied the house,  did laundry, shopping, etc.  I got the cards ready to mail to my grandchildren for Christmas.  I still need to do the big people's cards.  It was our Doug's Birthday, so I spent part of the day reflecting on how much I love him and times we have spent together and who he is as a man and saying special prayers for him.  I always say special prayers for my family members on their birthdays.  I know I pray for them every day . . .  but Birthday prayers are extra special, because they are extra special.   I love them all very much.

Monday evening is usually Family Home Evening, but we had someone we especially wanted to spend some time with and visit and so we did.  They appreciated it.   We did too.


 photo 580388_506572156070759_321408732_n_zps484a03dc.jpg

 Tuesday I spent the morning getting ready for the special meeting we were going to in Manchester on Wednesday.  In the afternoon I went to Costco with Sister and Brother Johansen to pick up a few things.  Todd and I don't have a Costco membership and so I can only go with people who do have these memberships.  It was great.   I LOVE Costco.   I love to see all that they have there and to pick up a few bits that I need.   I like Skippy Peanut Butter.  I can get it via Amazon, but it's almost £8 for the big jar, which is like $16.  At Costco I can get it for £4.  I picked up two of those and two apple pies to take on Wednesday.  I paid the same for one apple pie what it would cost me for a bag of pecans from the Grocery store.  I was supposed to bring Pecan Pies on Wednesday, but . . .  cost prohibitive, and so I bought two apple pies instead.  And they are good apple pies too!

And yes . . .  I did have a hot dog and a drink, and I ate the whole thing.  Mind boggling.  I hadn't intended on eating the whole thing, but before I knew it, it was gone and it tasted really good.

We spent Tuesday evening getting ready spiritually for Wednesday.

 photo 12309601_10206642688497901_8495919654745662203_o_zpsh70a65ll.jpg

Wednesday we went up to Manchester for our special Thanksgiving Meeting with all of the missionaries (Senior Couples, and Elders and Sisters) of the Southern part of the Manchester England Mission.  It was great to see all of the other Senior Couples again and also to see a LOT of the junior missionaries we had not seen in a while and catch up with them!  There were special talks and special trainings and we were fed spiritually by our Mission President and his wife, the Ulrich's.  I always get so much out of listening to them.  We were also fed spiritually by a member of the 70 President  Johnson and his wife.  It was great.  The best part however was hearing from the young Missionaries and all that they had gotten from the three talks we had been asked to read and ponder on prior to going.  These young people and their insights amaze me.

 photo 12247851_10206642685057815_609604219694547436_o_zpsklbmmykx.jpg

They are really exceptional young people.  Of course there was plenty of tasty food to eat as well.  A Thanksgiving dinner catered by the Mission.  It was great!

 photo 12314614_10206642679537677_5610361556849924956_o_zpsdm65arrv.jpg

It's that cheeky chappie, the frog whisperer Elder Johnson!  (on the left.) Can you believe he is going home to his family on the next transfer in two weeks time!  I know!  EMM will miss him!  He will be going back to school and taking engineering.   It was so good to see him.

 photo 12273526_10206642679577678_1285090605797019159_o_zpszwxqrbml.jpg

It was great seeing all of the missionaries.  We really enjoyed every minute of being there.

 photo 12304131_10206642680697706_2541138030205033844_o_zpsewglkf5n.jpg

Music and song, spiritual food . . .  and plenty of tasty real food.

We experienced a miracle on the way which started off as an annoyance with the Sat Nav sending us all around the houses.  That really annoyed me.  I couldn't understand why she was doing that, but in the end we realized it was because there had been a bad accident on the motorway.   Now I know that the Sat Nav wasn't the miracle, because that is what they do.  The miracle was that we actually listened to her and did what she told us . . .  because normally if we think we know better than she does, we ignore her.

When we got home I said to Todd . . .  hmmm . . .  it looks like something has been leaking out of the car onto our drive . . .  oil or sommat.   He didn't think so.


 photo DSCN4212_zpsyqcirlmf.jpg

Thursday was the special Thanksgiving that Sister Johansen and I prepared for our District Missionaries in the Johansen's apartment.  I spent the morning prepping for that.   Todd spent the morning discovering that our car all of a sudden had no oil in it and filling the oil resevoir.   He took it to a mechanic that we use and discovered that yes . . .  we had a bad leak that would need fixing pronto.  The worry was that because of the age of our car the part for it might be impossible to find.  (not to mention the funds)  This was a huge concern because as Missionaries we need a car, and secondly . . . we are living on a basic state pension and there is not a lot of money.  This would requite a huge step of faith, but as you know faith always precedes the miracle but more on that later.  (We did find out that they could get the part necessary to have it fixed . . .  and we made an appointment to have this done, knowing that we would have to raise a large sum of money by Monday.)  In the meantime there is Thanksgiving to celebrate.

I made a cheese ball (see above).  It was delicious.   I also did all the side dishes . . .  the vegs, the stuffing, etc.   Sister Johansen did the turkey and the desserts.


 photo sisters Gregson and Holmes_zpsgr2zgwm6.jpg

Sister Gregson (Utah) and Sister Holmes (Canada/Uganda) decorated the tree and dressed the table for our dinner.  Love these two special gals.


 photo DSCN4214_zps9pwitqxk.jpg
(Elder Judd(Utah), Elder Singsam (New Zealand), Sister Holmes standing, and Sister Gregson)

Nibbles and laughs before dinner . . .

Ohh, I forgot to say that just before Todd and I left to go to the Johansen's, Sister Johansen called me to say that Ron (her husband) had put the turkey in earlier, but forgot to turn the oven on.   DUH!  It was okay.   It got cooked in time.

What would Thanksgiving be without a hiccup or two!


 photo DSCN4216_zpshxa9ozbu.jpg
(Elder Hollingsworth(LasVegas), Sister Holmes, Elder Loloeisi New Zealand), Sister Gregson (Elder Singsam hiding) and Elder Judd)

I love spending time with these special youngsters.   Whether it is teaching, or learning, or doing service, street displays or breaking bread together.

 photo DSCN4218_zpsya8el3yj.jpg
 (Elder Rayner, Sister Gregson, Sister Holmes, Elder Singsam, Sister Johansen, Elder Hollingsworth, Elder Judd and Elder Loloeisi)

Can you remember what it was like trying to get a photograph with everyone smiling, looking at the camera, etc. when the kids were growing up????  Yep, impossible.


 photo DSCN4220_zpsmyuuzmpl.jpg

NOTHING CHANGES! No matter how old they get.  It is impossible, lol.  Someone is either looking away, or pulling a face  . . .  or interestingly enough, not there.


 photo DSCN4222_zpsoeemapzk.jpg

But we kinda got there in the end.  Elder Judd!  Why???  He always pulls a face.


 photo DSCN4219_zpsshhtthk5.jpg

I don't think he can help himself, lol.  Nevermind.  The food was good.  The company was great.  We all have a positively, spectularly, lovely time.

 photo DSCN4221_zpskkjhinko.jpg
(Elder Rayner is pulling a face in this one.)

Yes we did and our lives are so blessed by all of these fabulous people.  Best Thanksgiving ever.


 photo DSCN4223_zpskp9locyg.jpg

As designated photographers Elder Johansen and I are not in any of these photos, but our full plates are. lol   That's what I like.  I'd rather see a plate than myself . . .  lol . . .  and you know why don't you.  It's because of too many full plates,  Ahem . . .

Enough said on that front!

 photo f5f377c59f25df882ec9e45387d2af3e_zpsutqi7uik.jpg

Yesterday we had Missionary Flat Inspections to do.   We were a bit worried having to drive to them because of the car and the oil problem, but we bought a HUGE container of oil and got in the car and went anyways.    We got them done and we got back home safe and sound. Now all we have to do is to get the car to church and back on Sunday and then to the Garage to have it fixed on Monday.

And this is the biggest miracle of all.


 photo 83a5ad1f66345a360e562052884bfb88_zpsc97uv6w8.jpg

Through all of this worry with the car I have been holding in my heart the promises which are given in 1Nephi 3:7

"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."

From the very moment we were called to go on a mission this is the scripture which I have held in my heart and clung to.  At first I can remember thinking . . .  "I don't know how we are going to be able to do this on a limited budget as we have to live on, with the extra petrol costs etc."   but amazingly enough, that has not been a problem.  Although our Mission President told us that they would help us with the petrol if we needed the help, we have never had to ask once.   We have always had exactly what we needed to get by financially and other wise.   And then this week, with the car  . . .  how would be be able to come up with the money we needed to fix it.  And right up until this morning, I have been praying that somehow we would be able to get enough . . .  but at the same time I said to Todd  . . . Faith precedes the miracle.   We are on the Lord's errand and He will provide.  If you are willing to go and do what He requires, even though you may have to go right the edge, He will always provide a way to do what He is asking of you.

And . . .  He has.  We now have more than enough to pay for the car.  God is good, and I can testify to you that if you are willing to do all that He asks and to act in faith . . .  all WILL be well.

I don't know how it works, I only know that it works.  Diligent prayers are always answered and sometimes in the most surprising and amazing ways.  Acts of faith are always rewarded, but first you need to act and exercise that faith.  God is waiting to show you how very much He loves you and shower upon you the blessings of Heaven.  Our theme at the meetings on Wednesday were centred on aligning our will to the Father's will, and the great rewards that come to us from doing so.

These challenges that are sent to us in life, I have come to learn, are actually opportunities for growth and for change.    I do believe that this is the greatest lesson I have learnt so far on my mission . . . learning to love and to find joy in the challenges set in front of us. Life can be so amazing if you allow it to be and open your heart to the wonder of it all.

 photo 444ed500ee48beaa255965c8d5cee781_zps83993d21.jpg

There is not a lot in the Kitchen today, with the exception of a compendium of Christmas Cookies to inspire you to get baking. 

Have a wonderful Saturday no matter what you get up to.   Above all don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!


3 comments:

  1. What a week!!!
    Your cheeseball was so festive..I cannot believe how much busier you are now;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad all worked out for you with the cost of fixing the car. Hope you have safe journeys till it gets fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Monique! It will get busier still I think, especially in the new year. It's good. Very good. I love it! xoxo

    Thanks Pam! God is good. Have a great weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!