Monday 11 November 2013

Small and Wonderful Things . . .




 photo SMALLANDWONDERFULTHINGS_zps0c49db7e.jpg

  "The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.

 photo d1ea58564287220789bb904d20538df6_zps5d2da8e5.jpg

I found this recipe for English Toffee Bites over at Shugary Sweets.  I think they would make perfect little gifts for the girls at church that I like to give a gift to each year as a thanks for all that they do for me.   What do you think?  Would you like to get a little box of these sweet delights?   Not a lot of money to go around this year, but I was thinking a sweet little treat might go down well.

 photo 76712d9a4115fcb52158e2f86ba2a24f_zpsa1163520.jpg

They may just look like words scribbled on a scrap of paper, but they are rules for a happy life.  Be kind, work hard, stay humble, smile often, stay loyal, keep honest, travel when possible, never stop learning, be thankful always and . . . love.   A person could never go far wrong by living these things and trying to embody them each day of their lives.  Simple things to do . . . huge rewards to reap.

 photo 1395194_421519947947857_1492477096_n_zps16a093e0.jpg

 "The world is full of people looking for spectacular happiness while they snub contentment."
~Doug Larson 

I am grateful today for a contented heart. One that finds joy in simple pleasures and things.  This picture makes me think of my maternal grandmother.  She died when I was six years old, but I can still remember the way she smelled and the way her lap felt and the peace I felt in my heart as she held me and sang to me.  I am grateful for those memories.  They are most precious to me and I am so glad that I will see her again one day.  I feel her with me, even now . . .

 photo SDC16298.jpg

Baking partners that help to remind me that everything is always better when it is shared.   Oh she does make me smile.   I love her so . . .

 photo 6babf0645cb89a662288c2c0eefb70be_zpsaad9c73e.jpg

"He loved her, he loved her, and until he'd loved her she had never minded being alone."
~Truman Capote

Anniversaries.   Today is ours.  Todd's and mine.   Thirteen years.   And I have never been happier or felt more loved.   Today and yesterday and tomorrow.  It is nice to feel loved all the time and to know it is eternal, not just til death do we part.  Normally we go to the Temple on our anniversary, but it's not open on Mondays.  So instead we are going to take ourselves off into town for a meal together and then go to the Temple on another day.  I love this man with all my heart, this other half of me.   We go together like peas and carrots.  I like that.

I had a bit of time yesterday to do some art . . .

 photo CopyrightforElderPeterson_zps87e3c011.jpg

One of the missionaries had asked me a while back to do a piece of art for him based on this scripture.  I finally got it done.   I hope that he likes it.

  photo copyrightgirls_zps357e000e.jpg 

I have been taking an artcourse from Tascha Parkinson and this is a study I did in pencil crayon on pastel paper.  I like the way it turned out, despite my having coloured on the wrong side of the paper!  Duh!  I am especially fond of her hair and her eyes. 

And that's it for today . . . except for a thought to carry with you. 
 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ•.¸¸....•´¯`•♥•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥ ♫
"In prosperity our friends know us,
in adversity . . . we know our friends."
~John Cherton Collins

 photo SAM_1764_zpsec713756.jpg 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . French Onion Dip.  Delicious and easy!  (And NOT from a mix!)

Have a beautiful beginning to your week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!