Monday 4 November 2013

Small and Wonderful Things



 photo SMALLANDWONDERFULTHINGS_zps0c49db7e.jpg

 "The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.

 photo MarynHalloween2013_zpscda4f122.jpg

Ferocious little green dinosaurs on Halloween.   I think they are just the bees knees, don't you?  Apparently she had talked about being nothing else in the few months prior to Halloween.  I see so much of her mother in Maryn.  Those few hours I got to spend playing with her on the day I flew back to England last spring were so precious to me.  We had such a great time and I hope that she got to know me even a little bit.  I treasure that memory in my heart.

 photo cutestbluemonsterever2013_zps4391553d.jpg

I must give equal time to Blue Monsters!  Cameron is such a sweet little Blue Monster.  He can come and spook my house any time!  He has the most beautiful blue eyes.  I know I am a bit biased, but I think I have adorable grandbabies.

 photo AMCHalloween2013_zpse3e4e0dd.jpg

I love my daughter very much.  She is a great wife and mother.  I always knew she would be.   From the time she was a very little girl she excelled at everything she set her mind to being or doing.  I can remember her in Elementary school being very upset and distraught one day because she had gotten a few spelling mistakes.  I told her that it was ok not to be perfect.  As long as she tried her best that was all that had mattered.  She always worked hard at her school work, and in sports.  She never caused her father or I any concern.  She was a good girl.  We could always trust when she went out that she would not get into any trouble.  She graduated highschool with honors and won scholerships and bursaries to University, where she also graduated with honors with a Nursing Degree.  Since then she has worked as an RN at a prestigious children's hospital, for the most part in Oncology and has been taking her Masters over the past few years.  It takes longer when you are raising a family as well as working, but I know she will do it in the end and do it well.  She is married to a lovely man and they are a sweet, sweet family.  I hope that she knows how very proud I am of her and how much I love them all.

  photo 2ce24c314587fd44f2f52b5048b2e5a1_zps3daa0aae.jpg

I know I live far away from them now, but my family is the most important thing in my life.   I hope that I won't always have to live so far away from them.  From the time I was a little girl, all I ever wanted was to be a wife and a mother.  All of my children are counted as the greatest blessings in my life along with Todd.   It was a priviledge for me to be able to bring them up and not a day goes by that I don't think of each of them at least a bazillion times, or pray for each of them at least a bazillion times.  At the end of the day the family is the single most precious gift we have been given here on earth by our loving Heavenly Father and when we leave here to return it is our families we will bring with us.  Families are eternal and I am grateful for that knowledge and truth in my life.

 photo ace80816ec0c4761d96223befbccf3ca_zps34d8eb01.jpg

Not on my watch, or if I can help it.  I had a beautiful dream on Saturday evening.  In my dream everyone in my family was in this big beautiful house.   Literally everyone was there . . . mom, dad, sister and brother, nieces, nephews, children, grandchildren, Todd . . . my whole family.  It was such a vivid and a very special dream.  The house was beautiful and had stained glass windows, and we were all together.  I think this was a little glimpse of heaven . . . .

 photo 969154_10100265264136289_1026742696_n_zpsbabc474f.jpg

We may not always see eye to eye, and we may disappoint each other from time to time.  We may not even always like each other but there is a thread of love that is woven through a family that nothing can break.  It is the strongest thread ever . . .

  photo AmandaMarynandTomSept2013_zps745bcfe5.jpg

It is the story of us.  Who we were, who we are, and who we are becoming . . .

 photo 1006079_10153150388400234_1804666063_n_zpsc2f59f60.jpg

It begins with two people who love each other and it grows and it grows and it grows . . .

 photo 252156_10150732602245158_696915157_20090117_1544606_n-1.jpg

It is forever and always.  It is happy times and sad times and all things in between . . . 

 photo get-attachmentaspx-3.jpg

It is the old and the new . . .

 photo SDC17840.jpg

Togetherness, no matter what no matter when . . .

 photo SDC17850.jpg

It brings us great joy.  It is a living, breathing thing, which expands and expands and is . . .

 photo TonyandChildrencropped.jpg

Quite literally everything to me.

 photo DSC_9249.jpg

I am eternally grateful for my family.   They are a blessing to me.

 photo DSC_9235.jpg

A thought to carry with you through today . . .

Nobody cares if you can't dance well.
Just get up and dance.
Great dancers are not great
because of their technique,
they are great because of their passion.
~Martha Graham
  


 photo SAM_1630_zpsf9b72c67.jpg 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . . Brat and Spud Autumn Warmer.   Deliciously simple!

I hope that you have a Monday filled with many small and wonderful things!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!