Tuesday 1 October 2024

A Day Book . . .

 



FOR TODAY, October 1st, 2024




OUTSIDE MY WINDOW ...

The colors are brilliant. As you can see. What a difference in just a week as compared to last week. Simply beautiful. It is garbage day as well, but it's not raining. Occasionally it is a dry garbage day.  There is no rain expected in this area until Saturday. 



I thought you might also enjoy seeing a view from the other direction towards the start of the street.  I am surrounded by beauty for sure!


I AM THINKING ...

What a time I had yesterday. I needed to go to the store to pick up a few things.  As I was backing out of the garage, my car grabbed the shelves on the right hand side of the garage and brought them all down with a huge crash. My next door neighbor popped out of her door like a cuckoo clock to see what was the matter.  I was able to reassure her that I was okay.  (A bit shaken, but okay.)  My car was pretty okay as well, despite cans and bottles falling onto it. It does have one scratch which needs seeing to.  Some broken jars, dented cans and the shelf is unusable and sitting out by the road for fall cleanup. I put my father's ironing board that he had given me out as well as it was missing a rubber foot on one leg. I had replaced it a couple years ago. Cindy came over to help me clean everything up. I gave her the ironing board cover which was pretty much brand new. So was the ironing board for that matter, except for the missing foot. It made the board really wobbly and  so I never used it and I am pretty sure that dad never used it. The ironing board disappeared almost as soon as we put it out, but we never saw anyone take it, lol  I am so grateful for a sister who is so helpful.  Ready and willing to drop whatever she is doing to come and help me out in a sticky situation.  Whatever would I do without her???  I dread to think. Whether she likes to think of it this way or not, she has been one of God's greatest blessings in my life.


 

I AM ALSO THINKING ...

It is probably not a smart idea for me to keep my food storage out in the garage, but where else can I put it?  I don't have a lot of room here in the house for it.


Crispy Shredded Chicken Tacos


IN THE KITCHEN ...

Crispy Shredded Chicken Tacos. These are quick, easy and delicious.  A wonderful mash up of taco-quesadilla-nacho.  Ready to dip and fill as you wish.  I really enjoyed these.



ON MY "TO COOK" LIST ...

Grandma's Honey Muffins. From Taste of Home. These look really good. Simple and uncomplicated.



 

LOOKING FORWARD TO ...

General Conference this weekend. Twice a year the leaders of my church and all of it's members worldwide get together for a conference which is telecast on YouTube for those who cannot be in Salt Lake in person.  We are treated to wonderfully inspiring talks from our church leadership, both male and female. I always come away from it inspired and uplifted. It is a time I really look forward to.  They are held the same time every year in the Spring, and in the Autumn.  I feast on their words for the six months in the middle. They have helped me with a lot of the emotional and spiritual trauma in my life. You will be able to access them and or find out more about them here. There are far worse ways to spend a weekend.


 

Remembering the beautiful Croissants we used to get on the Ferry over to France as well as the beautiful ones we got in France. They were phenomenal.  No croissant ever tasted better.  The French do them the best in the world.




SOMETHING NICE ...

Newcomb's Wildflower Guide. Cindy had one and I liked it so much that I got one for myself. Invaluable when it comes to identifying wildflower and or/sketching them.  A wonderful tool. I had a book of English Cottages when I was in the U.K. with line drawings and sketches. I so wish that I had brought it back with me. I have been unable to find a copy since.



THIS I KNOW TO BE TRUE ...

We are compensated for all of our sorrows in time  . . . it can sometimes take a lifetime, but it will come. I have no doubt of that.


I AM WANTING TO CREATE ...


 

Cute hats for Blythe dolls  . . . 




Scrap Afghans  . . .  Janie Crow.  A real work of art.



Chunky Tree Garland  . . .  Delia Creates




Crochet for You.  Five Minute Stars. 


 


Matchbox creations  . . . 



 


OH MY GOODNESS ...

If there was ever a place to find fairies, this would be it  . . . 


 


LOVE, LOVE, LOVE ...

What's not to love?  So sweet . . . 






I AM READING ...

Everyman's England, by Victor Canning


A classic travelogue that brilliantly conjures 1930s Britain. In this series of pen-portraits of England from the 1930s, Victor Canning ‘evocatively captures the pattern and color of English life’ (The Bookseller), from Cumbria to Cornwall. Canning’s heart-warming and humorous observations of sleepy villages, pastoral scenes and busy industries are a delightful time capsule into life in England during the interwar years. ‘What does the word England mean to you? To all of us England means something different, and yet I think there is for every man and woman some little corner which is more England than anywhere else…’

It is an entertaining and fascinating read.  

"It was at this inn that I got, for a ridiculously small sum, a lunch which more than ever endeared me to Wharfedale, for after a man has had a morning full of beauty there is no better cap to it than a lunch which in itself is a thing of beauty. There was a rich, dark soup which was not only hot, but full of the flavour of vegetables, then turkey with thyme and parsley stuffing, roast potatoes, Brussels sprouts, a fruit tart with a crust it was a shame to break and a joy to eat, a portion of Wensleydale cheese and a cup of as good a coffee as you could expect in England."

It is a re-read. I did read it a number of years back and recreated a meal that he had described in the book on my EK page.  It was delicious.  You can find that post here


THINGS I LOVE ...


 

Good chips  . . . . 


 

Paris  . . . . 


 

Homemade Custard Creams  . . . 



 

Pears  . . .  in any way, shape or form.




 


A Club Sandwich  . . . . 





SOMETHING TO WATCH ...

Nobody Wants This on Netflix.  Love. Love.


A THOUGHT TO CARRY WITH YOU ...

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.Not all positive change
feels positive in the beginning.
~C.S. Lewis  •。★★ 。* 。


And that is my daybook for this week!  Thanks always for being here!


  ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆

  ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆ 




✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•
*¨`*•. ╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥╬
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ 


Have a beautiful day!  Don't forget!  

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   







8 comments:

  1. Glad the shelf did not cause even more havoc..oyoyoy..My girls are watching that show..They like it..they have warned me its not for their dad..a real chiflick lol.I am not crazy re KB so I am ok..maybe I will sneak a peek..;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty grateful I didn't end up with a broken windshield or a huge dent in the car! That really is a chick-flick kind of a show. You might like it! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Not the way you wanted to clean out the shelf in the garage, glad you are okay. A scare for sure. I will check out that Everyman's England book, looks interesting. The fall colours are gorgeous by your house, We are due for some rain overnight, probably not a lot, and then the temperatures start to cool down. Have a good Tuesday, whatever you get up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right Linda! Thankfully nobody and nothing was hurt (not much anyways!). I think you will enjoy that book. Its really entertaining! Happy Tuesday to you! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Those views from your house are picturesque Marie 😍
    Quite a grey and rainy day here today in England but love autumn this year all the same.
    I made your suggested all time favourite gingerbread this week and it is lovely, the addition of the stem ginger was surprisingly enjoyable ( I wasn’t completely sold initially 😉)
    I’m going to make your ‘ Worlds best gingerbread cake’ again and see what my verdict will be 🤭
    Thank-you for whittling down your favourite for me ❤️

    Faye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! It really is a very beautiful place to live. I do miss England, but I cannot be in both places and with family is where my heart belongs. I am so pleased you enjoyed the gingerbread and I predict you will enjoy the gingerbread cake as well! Yay! Thank YOU! xoxo

      Delete
  4. I hate days like you had...but as we age, it seems to catch us sometimes...I hope you can replace some of those shelves and use a few screws to attach them to the wall in studs so they will stay put!! I have shelves with canned goods etc in the 2nd bedroom...not ideal...but they are kept at a better temp and will last longer.
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that's just me Elizabeth. I liken myself to that character from the Charlie Brown Cartoons, Pigpen, who has a dust cloud following him everywhere he goes. That's me! I am used to it. Excitement and drama seem to follow me everywhere! lol xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!