Friday 25 October 2024

Dear Neighbor . . .

 

 


ESTATE LANE, NS
cool and overcast

Hello my online neighbors,

My beautiful invisible friends.  Thank you so much for coming to visit me this morning/today. I really do appreciate you. This is something many of you have been doing for many years now, and I want you to know you are an important part of my life. You have seen me through my highs and lows over these many years now and I have always felt your love and support, your prayers as it were.  They have always been so very appreciated by me. Although many of us have not met in person, our hearts have touched and for that I am grateful. Kindred spirit friends of the best kind. 

I am always fond of saying that every day may not be a good day, but that there is something good in every day. Yesterday was not a good day, not really.



Myself about six, my brother one, my sister three
We are sitting in my father's Easy Boy recliner
About 1961


Yesterday, my baby brother got the news that he has cancer of the kidney.  There is no happy way to receive news like this. My brother is a very fit, 64 years old. This has come as quite a shock to us all. Two years ago, they had noticed something on a part of his kidney which showed up in tests for something else. So, this year he had an ultrasound, and a recent MRI. So now he is going to have a CT scan to determine if there are one or two masses. If there is only one, they will remove the mass, if two, they will remove the whole kidney.  I am hoping that it will be the best-case scenario and that it will have been caught in time enough that it has not spread anywhere else.

My brother has always been one of my greatest supporters. Always. He is a kind, kind person who has always been out there helping a lot of people, but he has been especially helpful to my sister and I through the years. 

When we were teenagers and smoking the wacky tobacco, he would follow us to make sure we did not put ourselves in any danger. He has been there with his love and his prayers always, and sometimes his pocketbook.  He is just a good, good person, and of all the people that I know, he does not deserve anything like this.

But then again . . . who does. This is not something that anyone deserves, and it is something that happens to good people all the time.

As I was praying in bed last night, the words came to me, "Fear not, be believing."

We live in an imperfect world.  Bad things happen to good people all the time. We are all met with challenges. Some worse and scarier than others.  I believe it is the way we meet these challenges which matters most.  It's okay to cry and to be afraid sometimes, but we mustn't stay in the tears and the fear.  We have to believe that we can beat and overcome whatever comes our way in one way or another. Standing still and wallowing has never been a viable option.  I would ask that you all join me in prayers for our baby brother and his wife/family, both to have the strength to get through this massive challenge, and for healing.  Be believing.  He can and will get through this.  And we can help him along the way.

My brother who has so selflessly helped so many through the years now needs our help.  The gift of prayer is one of the greatest gifts that you can give to another. I firmly believe that. All will be well.


 

They say you learn something new every day.  A bit earlier on I decided to make myself some toast. I had a loaf of really nice grainy bread that was a bit past its sell by date, but it looked perfectly okay.  It also smelled okay.  I popped it into the toaster.  When I took it out of the toaster I noticed funny looking spots on it, that continued to grow and evolve as I looked at it. Mold.

Who knew?  This morning, I learned that the heat from my toaster could expose mold in my bread and actually help it to grow.   What was hidden very well from my eyes, was suddenly dramatically exposed.  I am so grateful for being able to see it.  

I hate the taste of mold. I am so glad that I noticed it before I started to eat it.


 


The day that my sister had tested positive for Covid, I had spent a good part of the day closed up in my car with her. Thankfully I did not come down with Covid myself, but I did have a few moments where I felt like I was getting something and took an Emergence-C. I did test myself several times, and all were negative.  Yesterday Cindy stopped in and as she was leaving my neighbor across the way stopped to say hello with her wee doggie Peanut. She said something about having had a bad cold. 

I felt guilty because on the day that my sister had come down positive, before my sister told me she was positive, this same neighbor had been on my doorstep for some reason that I cannot remember.  We did chat for a few minutes outside my door, and I found myself wondering yesterday if I had unwittingly passed some germs on to her.

I will probably never know for sure I guess.


 

The leaves are coming down fast and furiously now. My back yard is full of the golden leaves of the maple that is there.  Like a beautiful gold carpet.  All of these leaves that appeared as small sprouts in the spring and that did such a great job of shading my back yard all summer dancing with their strength in the summer breezes . . . they have been busy showing me over these past few weeks the strength to be found in letting go. The beauty of letting go.


There is a lesson there I am sure.  They have let go and they will lay on the ground and become one with it, eventually nourishing and strengthening the very tree that gave them life. They will become a part of its giving birth to new leaves in the spring.  And the circle of life will continue.

Change can be beautiful in all of its forms.


 


Cindy and I have plans to go shopping today.  I have a list of things that I need to get. I have been putting it off all week.  Each day I think I am going to go and then my day gets away from me and I don't.  I decide . . . I will go tomorrow and then tomorrow comes and the cycle repeats itself.  Today I will go however because I need to. I need milk and flour, and I have no fresh vegetables to eat or fruit other than apples. I also need to do something with them.

I am thinking I will do another video tomorrow. I have not decided on the topic yet but I have a few ideas mulling through my mind.  One thing is for certain, I am not able to pause any video and whatever I chose to do will have to be done in one fell swoop, until I can learn how to do it otherwise. I will keep exploring and learning and eventually I will get it. I hope.

I did get some fabric cut out this week and so maybe I will even get some sewing done this weekend. Hope springs eternal as they say. I do not know how I managed to get all the things done that I did when my children were growing up. I had so much work to do in the home and somehow it all got done and I still had time for sewing and crafting. So much so that my sister and I had enough wares to take to craft sales. What has changed?  It defies my knowing.   My days seem to evaporate at the speed of light. I am no sooner getting out of my bed in the morning than I am crawling back into it at night and in between not a lot has occurred with the exception of what has to be done.

I do not believe I am the only one who experiences this. It seems to be a common complaint

And with that I will leave you with a thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.°I will practice coming 
back to the present moment,
not letting regrets 
and sorrows drag me into the past
or letting anxieties, 
fears, or cravings pull me out.
~Thich Nhat Hanh  ° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ 



Oven Roasted Candy Roaster Squash



I finally got around to cooking that new and different squash I had picked up at the marker. Oven Roasted Candy Roaster Squash.  This was a simple way of preparing it that really helped to bring out its natural sweetness. I am sure it would work with any winter squash.


I hope you have a great Friday my special online friends. Near or far, stay safe, be blessed, be happy and don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 

⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   












21 comments:

  1. My brother received a kidney transplant 18 yrs ago..He just had another transplant somewhere else:( My dearest friend is burying her 16 yr old grandson tomorrow..:( A couple we know are going through cancer now also.All around..there is suffering it seems no matter the age.I am sorry for your brother and you..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique. There is so much sadness in the world, one scarce knows where to begin. I am sorry for your friend. Such a hard thing to cope with. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hoping today is a better day than yesterday. Positive and healing thoughts for your brother, such challenging times for him and his family. Hope you and Cindy get out for shopping today. Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Linda. It is very much appreciated. xoxo

      Delete
  3. DEAR on line friend, , I will be praying for a good outcome for your brother. May the dear Lord provide good care for him and give him healing. Life is a surprise everyday, but we have to deal with them the best way we can. I have found out that as we age we do every thing a bit slower, I don't do anything quickly any more. Good shopping to you. It's wonderful you can go with a sister. Love, Ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pam. I do so appreciate all of your prayers. I think you are right, we are just getting slower at doing things as we age. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Sending the most positive thoughts for the best possible outcome for your brother. Please take extra special care of yourself during this stressful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. We appreciate all of the positive thoughts. xoxo

      Delete
  5. We are praying they will find the cancer contained and be able to remove whatever needed for your brother!! I have always worried my husband might get cancer, not because he smoked but because in his Navy years esp., while on a sub no less, there was plenty of 2nd hand smoke he was exposed to. One of my aunts died of lung cancer...she never smoked but her card playing buddies did.
    As to covid, we are positive we got our 2nd case of it (while staying home and away from everyone as our daughter picked up our groceries and handed off over our patio fence to me, we got it via the city water) and we had run out of our bottled spring water; it was more than difficult to find enough, so I had been filtering the water with the tabletop kind...obviously not enough). There is no way to NOT be exposed anymore...so no reason to blame yourself if your neighbor fell ill...we all go so many places where we are exposed to all kinds of germs.
    Take care...try not to worry, as hard as that is!!
    HUGS, Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elizabeth. Much appreciated! I have always worried about lung cancer since we grew up in a home breathing in our mother's second hand smoke. And then of course my sister and I smoked as well once we hit our teens. I am so grateful that I quit when I did, but I still worry the damage was done. I was saying to my sister today it is hard to believe that it is almost five years since we started sanitizing everything, hands, carts, groceries etc. We probably should have been doing it all along. There is only one grocery store in our area that still provides sanitary wipes for the carts. Shame on the rest of them! Hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  6. Dear Marie, the Blessings of Almighty God, Creator of All That Is, are upon your brother now, through prayer and Christ Jesus! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie, I was at the grocery store yesterday, and saw the ordinary sliced breads had gone up to a range of 5.99 to 8.99 for each loaf. I declined to buy, and while checking out I mentioned how awful the prices had climbed. I suggested that everyone just bake biscuits from now. Now I think I will also bake water bread, which is so easy to do, as it is only water, salt, a dab of sugar, and yeast, and enough flour to hold together. Let rise, and bake. They can keep their pricey (and moldy) bread. Trimming mold off bread and eating it is not a good idea. The mold spores are invisible (as you noticed), and they go throughout the bread. Drinking water out of the tap is no longer as safe as it was. I boil my drinking water for ten minutes. Let cool. Then pour it through a paper coffee filter, which is fitted into a sieve, and so on into the pitcher. I'm praying for your brother. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cost of bread is extortionate for sure, and when it goes moldy as fast as it does its even more appallling! I have never heard of water bread. I will have to look it up! Your prayers are very much appreciated. xoxo

      Delete
  8. Praying for the very best outcome for your dear brother. A word of encouragement, six years ago at age 66 I found out quite by accident that I have only one kidney, born that way the doctor said. It is very possible for one kidney to do the work of two for a lifetime. I hope this can bea positive thing to have in the back of your mind. With Christian love, Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers Mary Ann. Much appreciated. How strange that they found that out by accident! Thank you for the encouragement! xoxo

      Delete
  9. Oh, Marie, what a shock for your brother and your whole family. I'll be praying for the best possible outcome, and that his guardian angels will be gathered around him especially close during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Marie, such scary news about your brother. Praying that he will have the best possible outcome and the best possible care. It’s not that uncommon to be born with just one kidney and live a long and healthy life. Try not to worry. Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for your brother Marie. Stay strong in your faith xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Marie,
    I will pray for your dear brother. So many have told me of cancer lately, too many! I was praying for a friend who was just told that he had stage 4 lung cancer and this morning when I woke up, the words "Steady On" were in front of my eyes. "Steady On", it almost sounds like a something a ship captain would say at sea, doesn't it? Perhaps in the storms of life, I was being reminded of this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saying prayers for your brother🙏.
    You could do a video of you preparing something, such as Making Scones Part One and a follow up video of of you pulling it out of the oven when it is done, such as Making Scones Part Two. Thus, two separate videos for one cooking session, no need to bake scones twice. Post them both separately on You Tube

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!