Wednesday 28 February 2024

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 


Yesterday was one of those days when you could almost believe that Spring was here, even though intellectually you know that it is not and the calendar tells you there is still a few weeks to go.  The sun was shining brilliantly and there was not a cloud in the sky. Even this morning we are wallowing in temperatures that are well above zero.

Yesterday the smell of Spring was in the air. With the washed blue of the sky and that brown good, wet earth beginning to show at the edges of the lawns, everyone had an extra spring in their step. (no pun intended.)  People were throwing the windows open to let in some fresh air and hanging their blankets on the lines to air them out. 

I found myself wishing I had a line to hang my blankets on.  I fear it would be quite impossible for me to have a clothesline however. My back garden is too small and there is no where to anchor one that would not be in the way of the men who come to mow.  Lord knows they don't need an excuse to do any poorer job than they do already.  And of course that big  maple tree right in the middle of it precludes the option of having an umbrella type of clothes line.

I may get myself a wooden air dryer however that I can just stick out there for some of my smaller articles. One that I can fold up and store in the garage when not in use.


 

We were all relieved yesterday that dad's keys had been found.  I slept the sleep of the dead last night, in peace.  A full eight hours, which is highly unusual for me. I went to bed at 8:30.  Dad, I hope, slept better as well.  He says that he did. I do hope he has learnt his lesson and will not be leaving his keys in his front door again.  It was very kind of the paper boy to put the keys where he did.  It restored my faith in mankind. For a time I was thinking about how despicable it was that someone would steal my father's keys like that, him being very elderly and all.  To find out that it was meant to be  something else entirely made me feel both relieved and ashamed at the same time!

I don't think any of us slept very well night before last.  Except perhaps for the paper boy. lol


 

They were having the opening ceremonies for the games  last night (in Alberta where Tim is). Eileen was going to watch them on her tablet. Apparently there was a link on Facebook.  I was too tired to stay up and watch. I will have to wait until she gets up to ask her how they went and if she was able to see Tim or not. His mother is out there with him.  I think Eileen is a bit jealous that she could not go, but in reality, I think she would have been a bit in the way. I remember what it was like visiting her when she was participating in the Internationals in Sun Valley Idaho that year (2009) and I know how hard it was to see her.  They were kept so busy there was not a lot of time for socialization.  I told her in the kindest way possible yesterday that this is Tim's time to shine and about him, not us.  We should be proud of him and wish him the best and let him glory in the experience. He will have lots of tales to tell when he gets home!  I hope that he does well and I know she does too, even if she would like to have been there with him.


 

She had checked her mail yesterday and there was naught in it but Tim's T4 slips for the Income Tax.  I don't suppose they get much post really. All of their family, pretty much lives very close to them. I used to write her when I lived in the U.K. but of course there is no need for that  now, and I suppose most people communicate via social messaging these days.  All of their friends also live locally.  It is exciting though when you get a letter in the post.  Maybe one day I will write her a letter and send it to her, even if I could just message her on line.  That would be a bit of a surprise for her. Perhaps pop it into a humorous card or some such.

I did not get any mail at all yesterday.   This week has only been fliers and junk mail.  Sheila next door mentioned that to me as I was checking my box yesterday, about how the post had only been fliers and junk mail.  I know she must get lonely, being a widow of only a few years.  She is used to having someone to share her time with her.  I do see cars there visiting her quite often, but that is not the same as having someone to live with.

Myself, I don't really get lonely.  Oh sure, sometimes I do feel a bit sad that I did not achieve the type of success in my love life that would have allowed me to have someone to end my days with, but I don't feel lonely.  I keep my life fairly busy and am occupied much of the time.  


 

All of our holidays are coming one on top of the other this year.  There was Valentines day and now very soon it will be Saint Patrick's Day and very soon after that it will be Easter, which is very early this year. The shops are filled with things for both holidays and it is difficult to know which one to indulge in. Eileen says that Tim's dad spoils them with lots of Easter goodies and they go there for Easter dinner.  That is a good thing, not the Easter candy (which neither one of them can afford to eat) but for the family celebrations. Tim's family has always been good to them in that way. They never get invited to her dad's and of course I have not been there through the years. Plus I cannot accommodate having both of them overnight in the same way.  I will probably have them over for a meal at some point during Easter. Maybe on the Monday. 

It is hard to feed Tim. He is very fussy about food.  There is not a lot that he eats.  I expect his mother is used to it, but I am not and I don't like having to cook separate meals for everyone. For me it is much easier just to take them out to a restaurant and then he can have what he wants and we can have what we want. Not quite the same as a homemade meal however. 

I think Dan is wanting me to cook Easter Dinner this year, and I will. It will be the usual ham.  I love Easter Ham even though I know I should not.  

Yesterday Eileen and I popped to the shops as I wanted to pick up some things to make something (Grape Nuts Cereal) and they had already roasted, hot hams for purchase, at $18 a piece and they were not that big. I found myself wondering, who (in this community) has the money to spend on that! And they were not very big either.  The mind boggles. They did smell awfully good though.


 

Normally today I would have been joining my father and Hazel for supper at the Big Scoop, and I would have gone and brought Eileen, but for the fact that I have an appointment at the lawyers at that time (they like to go early) to sign my will. Finally.  I finally called them a week or so ago wondering why I had not heard anything. Apparently they had sent me the proofs in November. I did not get them.  I am not sure why. Anyways, they sent them again and I had a look over the papers. My brother had a look over the papers. I sent them back with amendments and today I am going to sign them, and pay for it as well. (the hard part, lol)  At least I will be able to have peace of mind as far as that goes. Now all I have to do is to buy my headstone and pay for my funeral, etc. Then it will all be settled for the most part. 

My father doesn't want a funeral. We will probably just have a small memorial thing with just close family in attendance. I feel that we should mark a loved one's passing at least in some small way.  It just doesn't seem natural to do otherwise. I do know that a lot of people are not having funerals any longer.  For dad, there would not be a lot of people who could attend.  He doesn't have many friends now, at his age, its mostly just family and other than Cindy and myself, most of his family lives elsewhere. He has only one brother and one sister still alive and they are not well themselves.

On my, funerals. What a morbid topic.  But it is something that we all must think about.  With that however, I best leave you with a thought for the day. It will soon be time to cycle with my sister and I expect Eileen will soon be waking up! Plus I have a cat pawing at me looking for attention. I'm not sure what he wants but it is very distracting.


A thought to carry with you  . . . 


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.At the height of laughter,
the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope
of new possibilities.
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
~Jean Houston
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 




 In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Three Ingredient Lemon Meringue Pie Smash.  Seriously simple and incredibly delicious!


I hope you have a beautiful Wednesday.  Whatever you get up to, don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

9 comments:

  1. We have a notice on our mailbox for addressed mail only. As we have to walk down a long driveway and across the road, we got fed up with going just to get junk mail. Now if junk mail is left, I give it back to them! I'm a miserable old git!!! A rainy/thundery day today. The air definitely feels and sounds like spring is almost here. Have a good Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Junk mail is very annoying for sure! I don't think you are miserable, just someone who knows what they want and what they don't want! Nothing wrong with that! xoxo

      Delete
  2. We don't want a funeral..in fact we want nothing..Unusual but true.My girls find that hard to believe but we want nothing.Case closed.
    I had a feeling about the paper boy:) Yay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad doesn't really want anything either. My mother on the other hand wanted the whole shebang. My Aunt Freda, when they had her funeral, they filled an extra building with the over-flow, she was so beloved and cared for. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Understandable your sleeplessness over your dad's key situation. It is indeed refreshing to hear of someone like the paper boy. These days that is rare, most unfortunately!! Have a good time with the kin!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were very relieved! Thanks Elizabeth! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Meringue Nests? But sound easy enough and delish...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to have your daughter with you, for both of you. Thanks for a charming read, you write beautifully and I enjoyed your thoughts. Good luck with the lawyer👍🏼Have a lovely last day of February!
    xo, V.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!