Wednesday 21 February 2024

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 


Do you ever have a moment that is absolutely exquisite? Such moments are rare . . . like holding a pink pearl in the palm of your hand. Happiness, I think  . . .  is being able to live those moments when they come. I had one the other  night as I looked out into the moonlight at bedtime, taking a last look around and making sure all was right in my little world. 

A pale Winter mist hung over the yards across the street and the sky was a wide meadow of blossoming stars. The air quiet and smelling of woodsmoke, the light from the street's front windows shining and casting shadows on the pristine white of the freshly fallen snow, whilst the boughs of the tall trees to the west of our street stood very dark and motionless in the background, bare arms stretched towards the sky, as if begging . . . for what I do not know . . . 

Such moments, when you are so aware of all that is around you . . . those are the moments of awareness that you want to gather into your hand and hold on to forever  . . . 

True gifts  . . .  


 


Yesterday was a cold and sparkling today and today promises to be the same. It is double digit minus cold and the sun is already waking up.  Have you ever noticed the dramatic change in light which comes about this time of hear?  It is one of my special time marks.

If I look out my back window to the East, the sun is coming up like a big yellow daisy behind the houses and trees that stand to the back of where I live, outlining everything in a dawn primrose.  Then, as I watch, a flood of ruddy light, which is different than that of even just a few days ago, washes over and flows down the street.  Banks of snow and leftover unraked leaves turn warm and pink; bare silvery branches mauve.  The whole scene is suddenly glowing encarnadined.

Suddenly these days are filled with blinding radiance with an ardent-looking warmth to the sun which makes you long to bask. Were it not for the shrewd wind, and the air like cold wine, you might imagine you were in the tropics. But this is just an early morning effect; after the sun is well up, you have just another clear and cold winter day.


 

Have you ever lost a day?  All day yesterday I kept thinking it was Wednesday, but it was really Tuesday.   I did not want it to be Wednesday, but in my mind it was. It was  not until I spoke to my sister later in the morning that I realized it  that it wasn't Wednesday, and that it was really Tuesday, and like magic, the day that I thought I had lost was returned to me.  It was a wonderful feeling. I don't know why that happens . . .  why sometimes our minds cannot grasp the day we are really on and send us lurching into the future to a day that is not yet really ours to hold.  Tell me I am not the only person who does this! 

Once I realized what day it really was I managed to get a lot of things done. Vacuumed, dusted, washed the floors along with my usual work load. I felt quite accomplished come the end of the day. I had plenty of time to do some journaling, to  ready and study my scriptures and to loll about a tiny bit with one cat on my lap and the other one staring me down from his perch on the sofa trying to will me into feeding him something, even though it was not even near feeding time.  I can only ignore his stares for so long and then I always cave.  Even if it is only to throw a few treats across the room for him to chase, which is probably why he stares so intently. He knows I will always cave and he is sure to get a tidbit of some sort.


 

On Saturday next Eileen is coming to stay with me for a week. I think she will be here until the 3rd of March.  Tim will be away in Alberta, participating in the National Winter Special Olympics.  She does not like to stay on her own and has been looking forward to coming to stay with me for months now, ever since it was first decided that Tim would be going out West.  

I cherish these times we have to spend with each other. We did go through a bit of a rough patch a year or so ago when her thoughts and my thoughts on Covid did not align.  She had a difficult time accepting my stance on masking, but we got through it.   We can both be quite stubborn.  We get that from my mom. 

Also I think, because of her learning disability, she has a hard time accepting anyone else's point of view. She sees only in black and white.  In any case, all is well and we will enjoy each other's visit for sure.  I am not sure what we will do yet.  It's Winter, so there are not a lot of places that we can go.


 

But there is nothing wrong with staying home. It is one of the nicest places to be, in my opinion. I have always been a homebody for the most part.  I do like to see new places, but I am not overly fond of the travel part of it. The process of getting from here to there. Airports, etc.  I hate them.  Too stressful. I would rather travel by train any day.  I know trains take longer, but there is something very comforting about the clickety clack and gentle rocking as they move forward.  Its a pity there are not a lot of trains left here in Canada. At least in the Eastern part of Canada.


At one time you could catch what was called the Dayliner. It went all the way into Halifax from Yarmouth which is at the most Western part of the province, stopping in just about every community along the way. Most of the dead tracks have been turned into hiking trails now and the old train stations into community buildings. Here in my town it is a railway museum that is sometimes open, but more often not.  


And I am just rambling now so best get on the way.  Cindy and I have plans to go out this morning after our morning exercise together.


A thought to carry with you  . . . 


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.The moment you notice that
you are an instrument of God,
the moment you become like a 
hollow flute, the wind will blow 
through you and there will be music.
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •



In The English Kitchen today  . . . Loaded Potato Breakfast Skins. These made a surprisingly delicious and hearty supper.  Simple to make as well!


I hope that you have a beautiful day filled with sunshine and all the things and people you love most. Whatever you get up to, don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

5 comments:

  1. You write beautifully.:) I had to look up a word;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I frequently loose a day, especially when it is a holiday. Wonderful writing today, just like a professional. I love staying home, and when I do go out I am always so glad to get home. We had a gorgeous sunrise this morning, thought it would be a sunny day, but it is dull. Supposed to get rain tomorrow as temperatures are at least 5 Celsius, if not more. Have a lovely day, especially the outing with Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those special moments you described...yes, and especially when it is snowy has that happened to me. When it is a dry snow and cold enough, that is absolutely looks like fields of diamonds, is when one, no matter how cold, hates to go inside again. Always will remember those few times I experienced that. Where we live now, it does not snow every year...just sometimes, and doubtful will ever see that here as it is very humid all the time, hot or cold. And there are a few other moments in life that we just do not want to forget...we had some of those in Jerusalem too...a very unique, special place. Never been anywhere else on earth where the feeling of peace was so strong...and safety too...in spite of the fact that there is always some chance of a terrorist. Seems the world might want to preserve that specialness, preserve it at any cost...but guess not, so far...one day...ONE DAY, it will be for all those living.
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can join you when I read your lovely descriptions, I can feel the air and see the light…very inspiring. 💜 Thank you. Happy day to you. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lost a year once. All last year I thought I was 84. Even used that age on forms I filled out that asked for my age. And then when it was almost my birthday again, my daughter picked up on my error and pointed it out. So now I am still 84 for another year, and never got to enjoy 83.
    It made me happy to read that you and Eileen are close again. I remember the rough patch..

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!