Wednesday 31 May 2023

Wednesday Witterings . . .


 

Cindy came with me yesterday and I picked up some bedding plants for my planters.  I got red geraniums, white petunias and blue lobelia. Yes, I went with red, white and blue.  I am so lacking in imagination. lol It should be nice once they get going.  I was not able to find a bird bath.

They cut the grass yesterday so everything is looking nice and trim.   I love my bleeding hearts.  They are so pretty.  

I picked up a load of ant bait traps also. I have 10 to place in various places. I know ants are not dirty insects, but I just don't want them in my house crawling all over everything and getting into stuff.



The fires continue to rage. All of the Halifax municipality has been declared an emergency.  I have friends staying at the motel across the street from me that had to abandon their home. I have not heard a peep about my daughter and her family. I am assuming they are okay and that someone would have told me if they were not. 

Fires are also burning in other areas of the province. Down in Shelburne county and now in Yarmouth county. Hopefully we will be safe here in the Valley. I am praying for everyone affected.

We need rain and lots of it.



Here in the Valley, all of the apple trees are in bloom.  This is a large apple growing region in Canada. I hope nothing happens to destroy the crop.  Like fire.  So many people rely on it for their livelihoods. My first husband's family were farmers. They had orchards. I used to pick apples for them. The worst was picking drops.  Drops were bought by Scotia Gold to make apple juice and cider with. Drops were the apples that had fallen off the trees. It was back breaking work. Stooping all day to fill up the bins. 

Mind you, all farm work is back breaking.  Farmers all work very hard. A lot of the small farms are disappearing now in favor of super farms.  It is becoming harder and harder for a small farm to make a go of it. They really have to diversify in order to make a decent living.


 

Its hard to believe that this is the last day of May. Tomorrow it will be June and we are heading for the longest day of the year on the 21st.  June also marks us as being halfway through the year. I wish time would just slow down. It seems to be passing by far too quickly.  Or is that just because I am getting old.  When I was a child a day seemed to last forever.

It is almost frightening that time seems to go by so quickly now.


 

I am going to do some baking today I think, although I haven't made my mind up yet just what I am going to bake. I haven't got any cake in the house and I do so love to have a cake about.  Its a bit more dangerous now since there is only me in the house.  I am going out for supper tonight with my father and Hazel. Marilyn isn't coming anymore. I don't know why.  She seems to have a bee in her bonnet as far as my father goes, but I am sure I don't know what it is.  Usually these types of things are something which can easily be resolved if dealt with right away. Its if you leave things to go on and fester that they become more difficult to resolve. 

I can't imagine anyone having a problem with my father however. He is about one of the most benign people about. He is very easy going and easy to get along with. He can be a bit politically incorrect sometimes and because he is deaf there is no hiding it because he speaks rather loudly, so who knows. He might have said something she took offense to.


 

"Its hard to tell our bad luck from the good luck sometimes.
Hard to tell sometimes for many years to come,
and most of us have wept copious tears over someone
or something when if we'd understood the situation
better, we might have celebrated our good fortune instead."
~Merle Shaine

Are you a believer in luck, bad or good?  The definition of luck is "success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than by one's own actions."  I think we make our own luck, good or bad and it is largely determined by our own actions or misdeeds.  Every action has a consequence. Sometimes we are at the mercy of other people's actions and that might be considered to be a bit of bad luck, but in most cases we still made a decision that put us within the sphere of their actions. I think most lives are a mix of good and bad, of sunshine and rain. We are all at the mercy of the elements and the actions of others at any one given time or another.  Or maybe I am just generalizing too much. 

I don't think that what happens to us matters so much as how we handle what happens to us.  Fight or flight?  Stand up to or give in?  Unlucky at love, or just a person who makes poor choices?

Perspective matters. Half empty or half full?  I am a half full person and it has made all the difference in the world with how I view life and get through it. It is like my "secret power" or something.


 

I wish that lilacs lasted longer.  It seems that only a few weeks ago the lilacs were just tiny buds of promise and now they are at their fullest, and soon they will be turning all brown.   I wish lilacs bloomed all summer long. I am happy that they don't bloom all year long because then we would not appreciate them half as much, but I do wish that they lasted more than just a few weeks.  

Their smell is intoxicating. I cannot stop at my sister's these days without burying my nose in her lilac bush. It smells so beautiful.


 


I may have to take some time and do some ironing today. I have a pile of it waiting for me to get to it.  I used to love ironing day at the Manor.  (Thankfully I wasn't the person who did it.)  The laundry room smelled like starch and freshly ironed linens. Terri (who was in her 80's at the time) used to spend 7 or 8 hours standing on her feet at the ironing board.  She did a fabulous job.

I wish I had an ironing lady sometimes, lol.  I love freshly ironed sheets and pillow cases. Do they even make starch any more?  I have not seen it in the store for some time.

I love the smell and feel of ironed and starched clothes/linens. I remember when I used to crochet my own doilies (haven't done that in years either) I used to starch them with sugar water.  I would soak them in it and then stretch them out/pinning them to the shape and then let them dry. Perfect if you had a doily with ruffles.



 



Does anyone have any recommendations for a good face moisturizer?  My skin is so dry that it almost looks burnt.  I can peel it. Even in my ears.  I need something.  I have been using a bottle of E45 which I used to use in the UK, but it is very hard to find here in Canada. I have special cream for my legs but don't want to use that on my face.  This only started about a month ago.  I am not sure what is causing it.  I need help.



 


Well time is getting away from me and ironically this is the exact time that it is now so I best finish this off.  I have miles to go before I sleep as they say.  

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.°Count your age by friends, not years.
Count your life by smiles, not tears.
~John Lennon  •。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。

This was on my calendar this morning.  I like it!





I baked some of those TikTok Cinnamon Rolls.  I don't watch TikTok but my sister told me about them. She said that they were delicious.  I have to agree. They are incredibly delicious. I did the small batch. They are so tasty I am still thinking about them and wanting them.


I hope that you have a wonderful Wednesday!  Be happy!  Stay safe!  Don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   


11 comments:

  1. E45 is availAble on Amazon..I have some.A-Derma XERA MEGA is excellent for xtra dry skin.Don't expect a pretty smell or a texture you will love ..but in no time your dryness will be gone..At night go to bed next day already:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some E45 that I bought on Amazon, but its not working very well. My face is almost sore now. I am wondering what has caused it. I will check out your recommendation! xoxo

      Delete
    2. I use retin a ..and sometimes my face gets dry..that latter one i mentioned is the bomb:)

      Delete
  2. The wildfires are terrible, devastating news for everyone across the country. I use Aveeno cream for dry skin, works great for me. Our lilacs are just about finished, like all blooms they finish way too soon. Enjoy dinner with your Dad tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aveeno is very good for dry skin. I have a shower wash that is Aveeno. Thanks Linda! I am really concerned with these fires. Its like Canada is burning. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Surely hope rain comes and puts out the fires...seems we hear of fires every year somewhere...but maybe this has always been the case and without the internet etc we just never knew. Have you had your thyroid checked? We have issues stemming from our thyroids so have to take a pill each morning...which helps. We find time running past very quickly too...guess its our ages now?
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not ever had my thyroid checked Elizabeth. I am wondering if it is my new bed sheets? There is a wildfire season here in Canada and usually they are mostly in Alberta and Saskatchewan, Northern Ontario. Its been a long time since we have had them in Nova Scotia. This one is devastating. Many have lost their homes. But thankfully so far, no life has been lost that we know of. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Cerave has an excellent line of moisturizers. Recommended by dermatologists. Not expensive. Available across Canada. Or the Avene line from France. A bit more expensive but excellent. Trixera for body. sunscreen sunscreen always especially for your ears !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Jane. Will check it out! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!