Wednesday 10 May 2023

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 

 


I could not resist sharing this little quote this morning. I have seen it before. I loved it then and I love it now. You know me and bees.  I am very fond of them.

I was so blessed yesterday to have two people from  my church come over and clear all the weeds out of my garden and clean it up. They worked at it for two hours and it was not overly warm out there. I know because I stayed outside with them and I was freezing.  They did such a beautiful job.  What a fabulous act of service. I felt guilty just sitting there while they did all the work, but its just impossible for me to get down on the ground like that.

I offered them hot drinks, etc. but they didn't want anything. They said if I want their help when it comes to putting in any bedding plants, or if the weeds start to build up again, just to let them know.

I was so grateful for all that they did. I was feeling quite ashamed of the way it looked. Now I don't feel too bad about its appearance, but I am a bit ashamed that I need other people to help me in this way.

But God is good and I have learned that if you deprive other people of the opportunities to do service, then you also deprive them of the blessings they get from serving others.  

I may not be able to get down on the ground and weed a garden, but there are a multitude of ways that I can help others.


 

This has to be one of the most beautiful cakes I have ever seen.  I cannot imagine the talent it took to make such a thing.  I would hate to cut into it. 

I love that we live in a world that is filled with an amazing abundance of talent and that we live at a time when it is so easily shared.  There are many bad things about this modern world, but there is so much good as well . . .  much more good I believe than bad. Dwelling on what is beautiful and good and uplifting makes a huge difference in the quality of your life. This I believe to be true also.

Yes, I am a glass half full kind of a person and I am very grateful to be so inclined.


 

I just love this stack of old tea towels/linens.  I have a few things in life that bring me immense pleasure. One of them is linens.  I love vintage looking tea towels, especially when they are made from natural fabrics such as this.  They dry dishes better than anything modern that you can buy.

That is probably why I love flour sack tea towels so much. They work well and do a great job of drying up. 

But these old tea towels, with their woven in patterns.  I just love them. Look at all the texture and the beauty of the patterns.  Just stripes, but beautiful in their simplicity.




I wanted to tell you about this natural deodorant I have been using for about a year now. I first saw the ad on Instagram and thought I would try it. It was scented with Bergamot. I love the scent of Bergamot. It is what gives Earle Grey Tea its distinct taste and smell. 


I have been a user of Secret Deodorant for years and years, but I had found that it was not doing the  job anymore.  I also didn't feel totally secure in the ingredients that they use to make it, but I didn't really know what to use in its place.  So I ordered some of this natural deodorant on a whim, just to try it.  I was very pleased, both with the scent and the performance of it. 


It also lasts a long time. I liked it so much that I ordered more and am only now just starting the second container, having finished using my initial one. It is an "extra strength natural deodorant formulated for 24 hour protection. Seaweed extracts & hyaluronic acid moisturize the skin while probiotics help neutralize odor. Made without aluminum, alcohol, parabens and phthalates."


I bought it here. Its not the cheapest deodorant, but I feel it is worth every penny spent. My first stick lasted me almost a year. It does come in other scents, and they also have body washes and other products. I am happy with just the deodorant.




I just love the way that this bed is made up. I will have to remember that when next I make my bed or change it. I do have a pretty white coverlet on my bed that I bought from Wayfair a few months after I moved in here.  My sister had this really pretty pale green one on her bed.  When I worked at the Manor the Mrs. had a cream colored one on her bed.  They are like a quilt, but there is no color in them, no colored patches, just plain fabric, but quilted in a pattern.  I love the simplicity of them, so when I saw the white one on Wayfair, I bought it. It goes with everything.  I need to get myself some pretty flowery sheets sometime. The ones I have are all white.  If I got a few patterned sets, I could mix and match. Using the patterned fitted ones with the white tops and vice versa. 

See  . . .  ME + LINENS = LOVE

I don't spend a lot of money on clothes. I am still wearing the same trousers that I have had for about 10 years now, but when it comes to things like bedding or tea towels, pillow cases, throws, etc. I have a real weakness. 


 

When I was a teenager I remember buying little bouquets of dried flowers that had been dyed pretty colors.  We had a local department store at the mall called the Metropolitan store and they had all sorts of things in there. You could get just about anything you wanted. My friends and I used to spend hours perusing the merchandise.  I used to babysit a lot and so was always earning money that I could use to buy little things like that. 

Do you remember those little bunches of dyed dry flowers? 

I would love to have a bouquet of flowers for my place.  I am not sure how the cats would react to them. Also you need to be very careful about the flowers you introduce to your home when you have cats. You don't want to poison them.  I would be beside myself if I ever made them sick. 

Perhaps the thing to do is to look for a good artificial flower that doesn't look to plasticky or fake.


 

I love this style of night gown for the summer months. All cotton, natural fabric.  Simple and yet pretty. I could make some I suppose. I wonder if you can buy a pattern like this?  This reminds me very much of the type of night gown they would have worn in years gone by.  I am assuming in those days they would have been sewn together by hand. 


I hear Blue Jays out on the front lawn. They make such a variety of sounds.  One sounds like a squeaky clothesline to me.  I can remember years and years ago when my older children were very small and my youngest son only a twinkle in his father's eye I lived in a house right at the edge of the housing development we lived in. There was nothing behind us but trees. We had a lot of Blue Jays there.  I used to fee them. I would spread crusts of bread with peanut butter and then break them up into smaller bits and line them along our back fence. I used to really enjoy watching them come to pick them up. If I was late in getting them out, they would fly in and remind me that I was late.


I have always loved watching birds. This is the first place I have lived that I haven't had much success in attracting them. Mostly that is because I can't keep a feeder full.  It seems as soon as I fill it, a squirrel or some such comes and empties it. 


My sister gets loads of birds where she is. Cardinals, Sparrows, Jays (of course), Chickadees, Cedar Wax Wings, Grosbeaks, etc.

 

What a lovely basket of shopping.  I am looking into it and wondering what the owner is cooking up. Fresh Basil, peaches, apricots, avocado, a lime, some crusty bread and some daisies to pretty up the table.  Perhaps a lovely pasta with a lush sauce for mopping up with some of that crusty bread, or some avocado toast, a fruity salad with basil and peaches.  The possibilities are endless.


 


Tonight is the night I meet my father and his two lady friends for supper.  One of the ladies has said she is not coming anymore, but I don't know why.  My father has given me her phone number and is wanting me to call her and encourage her to come out. I am not sure.  I have no idea why she isn't coming out any longer.  She likes me apparently, and my dad thought I might be able to get her to come again. I don't know. We shall see.


I am having my tires changed on the car tomorrow and so I am going out this morning with my sister to try to find a missing bolt for my winter tires at the local auto salvage place. I don't want to have to buy a whole set of bolts to replace one missing bolt. Dan will come over later to put my summer tires into the car. Because they are on the rims, they are too heavy for me to lift.  


I hope the tire change goes seamlessly.


And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day so that I can be out and about!


A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
  ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
 ˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*It is the sweet, simple things of life
which are the real ones after all.
~Laura Ingalls Wilder•。★★ 。* 。




In the English Kitchen today  . . .  Beef Teriyaki Stir Fry. Day three of using only the things I already have in the house to make my meals without going to the shops. This is not only a quick and easy dish to  make, but is also healthy and quite adaptable to what you actually have in the house to use! The teriyaki sauce is amazing.


Whatever you get up to today I hope you have a wonderful day!  Be happy and don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful you got help with your garden. We spent ages listening to and watching the birds yesterday. The orioles were back and we saw the hummer a couple of days ago. It is another lovely day, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am incredibly blessed Linda! I saw the photo of your oriole on your IG feed. How very beautiful! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Mustput a Spring in your step to have the weight of the gardens removed.Lovely.
    As is your beautiful coverlet:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Monique! It really did! I am so blessed! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Lovely linens …I too love linens! Enjoy your time with your sister and dad…so nice to have those garden helpers…and Dan!
    Happy Wednesday! xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so easy to love! The linens and my dad and sis! Dan too! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Wow, that is a most amazing cake.
    And I learned something new. I never knew Earle Gray tea was scented with bergamot.
    Love "if you deprive other people of the opportunities to do service, then you also deprive them of the blessings they get from serving others." It's a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!