Tuesday 23 May 2023

A Daybook . . .


 

OUTSIDE MY WINDOW . . .

When I first got up this morning, about an hour ago, there was a thick frost on the rooftops across the way and on the lawn, but the sun is quickly melting it away. All that is left now is what can be seen in the shadow of the garage roofs, and on any cars that were left sitting out. This will soon disappear as well. As you can see a lilac across the way is about to burst into bloom, and there is not a cloud in that blue, blue sky.  A beautiful day is beginning.  I wonder where it will take us?


 

ON MY MIND . . . 

We had a young sister Missionary in Chester about 10 years ago now, Sister Nikova. She was from the Ukraine, but she has lived in America for quite a while now.  She posted yesterday that her brother had been killed fighting the war in the Ukraine. She had posted a photograph of him in his uniform, posing with his rifle in his camouflage uniform. He looks defiant, and yet afraid at the same time.  Wars . . .  they are begun by old men and fought by the young. Every night I pray for an end to this unjustified conflict. I have not forgotten the people of the Ukraine.




THINKING . . .

This is a photograph of me as an infant. I think I must have been about nine months old here. I don't think I was what you could have called a cute baby. Not in the least, but that's okay.  I don't think I have changed much.  Oh, I am older and more wrinkled, but I pretty much still look the same.  You can tell that's me. Its undeniable.  Fresh and untouched by the world and life. Everything still in front of me. My story yet to be written.


 

I HAVE A THING FOR . . . 

Pottery jars that once held something else. What I wouldn't give to have this marmalade jar. I do have one that holds all of my measuring spoons. It once held Stilton cheese.  It came back in my boxes.  And it did not break.  I was so thankful for that! It was a tender mercy.  I look for these kinds of jars wherever I go, but have yet to find one. The one I do have is one I acquired by buying Stilton one year at Christmas, quite a number of years back. It is a treasure to me . . . 


 

FEELING RELIEVED . . .

I am feeling somewhat relieved that I haven't put in any bedding plants into the planters on my front railing yet. We have had frost so many nights. The woman across the way has to bring in her hanging plants every night.  I am torn between wanting to get some nice ones while they are still to be found, or wanting to wait until the danger of frost passes. 



I AM WANTING . . . 

A glass bowl birdbath. I have been looking and waiting.  I want a birdbath to put in the front garden, but am waiting until I have some extra money to spend.  I think these glass bowl ones are very nice. I looked at other bird baths, but the wind comes down the street sometimes quite strong and  I  don't want it blowing over or away. I think if I get one that I can stake into the ground it would be a lot more sturdier.  I want one that holds the bowl however, so that in the autumn before the colder weather arrives I can bring the glass bowl inside and store it in the garage to it will be protected against breakage.

Oh I have dreams . . . but not enough $$$ . . . Oh well, you know what they say, you have to have a dream in order to have a dream come true!



LOOKING FOR . . .

Yellow bananas.  Where have they gone. All we get down here seems to be bananas that are on the green side, but then they turn a grey yellow and not a bright yellow.  What's up with that??? I like to buy bananas while they are still a bit green, but I want then to turn yellow. Not grey. I have not seen a truly yellow one in quite a while. Grey bananas turn me off.



THE FACE OF CONTENTMENT . . .

This is the face of contentment. He is never very far away from me.  He sits nearby always, or on top of me. This was Nutmeg last night while I was watching the television. He was sprawled out next to me on the sofa, not a care in the world.  I can maul him and he is perfectly content to just be there with me. He loves the attention and relishes it.






LITTLE  MISS INDEPENDENCE . . .

On the other hand Cinnamon is very independent.  She sits away from us, but gives us loving looks. She doesn't want to be all that close however.  She is happier admiring us from a little ways away.  She does like to be brushed, but on her terms, and only hers. She is not a cuddler.

Love them both, but I do miss Mitzie so much. I think about her every day. 






I AM READING . . . 

CAROLINE, Little House Revisited by Sarah Miller

In this novel authorized by the Little House Heritage Trust, Sarah Miller vividly recreates the beauty, hardship, and joys of the frontier in a dazzling work of historical fiction, a captivating story that illuminates one courageous, resilient, and loving pioneer woman as never before—Caroline Ingalls, "Ma" in Laura Ingalls Wilder’s beloved Little House books. 

In the frigid days of February, 1870, Caroline Ingalls and her family leave the familiar comforts of the Big Woods of Wisconsin and the warm bosom of her family, for a new life in Kansas Indian Territory. Packing what they can carry in their wagon, Caroline, her husband Charles, and their little girls, Mary and Laura, head west to settle in a beautiful, unpredictable land full of promise and peril. The pioneer life is a hard one, especially for a pregnant woman with no friends or kin to turn to for comfort or help. 

The burden of work must be shouldered alone, sickness tended without the aid of doctors, and babies birthed without the accustomed hands of mothers or sisters. But Caroline’s new world is also full of tender joys. In adapting to this strange new place and transforming a rough log house built by Charles’ hands into a home, Caroline must draw on untapped wells of strength she does not know she possesses.

To say that I am thoroughly enjoying this book is an understatement. I am TOTALLY enjoying it. I look forward to getting stuck into it every night when I go to bed. I highly recommend.  It is fun to explore the story of the Little House family from the perspective of the mother and is very well written.



SOMETHING TO WATCH . . . 

I started watching Queen Charlotte, a Bridgerton story on Netflix last night. I quite enjoyed the first episode.  I confess I have not watched all of the series of Bridgerton. I started to, but never got back to it. Perhaps I should.


 

PRACTICE . . . 

Something which I have been practicing at the end of each day as I reflect on the day which has been is to reflect not only on the goodness of my days with gratitude, but also on the moments when I have faltered or failed. I trace the goodness and give thanks, but I also give thanks for unmet expectations and mistakes.  Life has taught me that some of my greatest answers to prayer have been the seemingly unanswered prayers, and mistakes  . . . they have always been learning and stretching moments, and so I am grateful for both. I reflect on my weaknesses and let them go . . . in doing so the burden becomes lighter and I am more able to become who I was meant to be. 


 

I AM CREATING . . .

I'm still working on the pillow. I have both sides done now and am about to put them together. Its exciting!

What will I do next?  Time will tell  . . . I have many ideas  . . . 



SOMETHING NEW . . .

I discovered these in the grocery store and decided to try them. They are in the International foods section and are less than $2.  I liked them so much I have now bought a second pack. Naughty me, but it could be much worse.


 

A FEW PLANS FOR THE DAY  . . . 

I want to bake a cake today.  There is no cake in the house, and I haven't baked one in week or so.  I like having cake in the house.  I also want to continue on with my organizing. I am making great headway.  I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I have managed to make a difference in even the smallest way.

Oh, at the weekend I fixed the blockage in my shower drain. I was standing in four inches of water every time I took my shower.  I unscrewed the drain cover and put some liquid Draino down it.  I left it for half an hour and then I ran hot water into it and used a plunger.  It is now draining perfectly fine.  I thought I would do that before I called in the maintenance man to sort it out.  I felt a great sense of accomplishment at having sorted the problem myself!

I want to sweep out the garage as well.  I really need to get rid of the smelly doll house. Its been in there about a year or so now and it has not gotten any better.

I also need to call about my heat pump. They have never come back to fix it and it will soon be sweltering hot and I will be needing the air con.


A THOUGHT TO CARRY WITH YOU . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.°
Now and then, in this workaday world,
things do happen in the delightful storybook fashion,
and what a comfort that is.  
~Louisa May Alcott  •。★★ 。* 



IN THE KITCHEN . . . 



Mac and Cheese Meatloaf Casserole. Oh. My. Goodness.  This was just so darned good.  I took my portion out and enjoyed it immensely and then took the remainder over to Cindy's place for them.  This was delicious. Glazed meatloaf on the bottom, creamy mac and cheese on top.



And that's my daybook for this week. Not much changes I know.  I hope that you have a beautiful day filled with beautiful things and wonder and joy. Whatever you get up to, don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

5 comments:

  1. Chilly overnight here too, 3 Celsius when I got up, been keeping the tender annuals in the garage overnight, perhaps a week or so more before planting. Well done fixing the drain. They get clogged with hair and need a clean out now and then. Hope they come soon for the heat pump, keep at them. Off to the library this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a fruitful trip to the library Linda! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Can’t wait to see your pretty cushion.My those bird baths have gone up a lot in price😳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am about to put it together, but need to sew a cushion form to put into it now! Yes, they are quite pricey! (the birdbaths!)

      Delete
  3. That was me monique

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!