Wednesday 26 October 2022

Wednesday Witterings . . .


 

Cindy and I had a fabulous time together yesterday. I left here about 9:30 to go fill up my car and then went over to hers. My flu shot wasn't until 10:20 but there wasn't much point in coming home really. I would have only been home for a short before I had to go out again.  We left her place. I had my shot and then I picked up a few Birthday Cards.  

The Chemist in town has the nicest cards. I know you can get cards at the dollar store for cheaper, but they are cheap cards. I like to send people nicer cards. To me a card is an expression of love, and my love is worth more than a dollar store card. That's just how I feel.

The Chemist asked if I wanted a calendar for 2023 when I was at the cash. You could get a wall calendar or a purse sized calendar. There are not many places still giving out calendars these days. I quite happily accepted a purse sized one. It's always handy to have a calendar in your purse.



 The town of Kentville has their display of pumpkin people on again this year.  As you drive through the town you will see them in groups all over the place.  So much fun. Last year they had dinosaurs interspersed between them, this year it is animals.  Lions, hippos, bears giraffes.  All very well done.  The pumpkin people are getting up to all sorts.

I am not sure how long it takes to put together this display but it's really delightful. I look forward to it every year, and I know that has only been two now that I have seen them, but I still enjoy them very much.

It's worth the drive to Kentville.


From there we went on up the Valley to Michaels in New Minas. With this old bladder of mine, I have to hit the loo before anything else these days.  I am finding a lot of what I do revolves around the proximity of public loos these days, and the cleanliness of them.  Michaels is hit and miss. Sometimes you go in and it's a mess, but usually it is quite passable. I always report.  The one at the Superstore in Kingston is absolutely deplorable. I will not use it.  The ones at Walmart are usually pretty good.  The one at home is best of all, and so I try to time my trips out so that I don't have to use one, if I can.

Yesterday of course, I couldn't. We were simply out too long.

I picked up a nice little four-foot lit artificial Christmas tree at Michaels. I had a gift certificate for $50 and a coupon for 40% off and so I got it for quite a nice price. I figured with the grandsons going to be here this year for Christmas, I had best get in a tree.




These new pre-lit ones are quite nice.  I remember in the old days the trouble my father had to go through every year checking out the lights for the tree. If one was out, none of them worked and so he would have to check each and every bulb.

This will be the first Christmas I have ever had any grandchildren in my home. I am really looking forward to it. It will be quite simply lovely if it comes to fruition.


 

On the way back we stopped at Forsyth's farmer's market outside of Berwick.  We usually stop at the other one (Pierce's) but it was already closed for the season.  What a disappointment the market was. We walked away with nothing and found ourselves wondering why they were even open.  What they had left was all moldy, wilted, wrinkled, withered drying out, etc. and everything was humming with tons of fruit flies and wasps.  We were both quite shocked to be honest.  It was like they couldn't be bothered to clear out the dead wood and were just leaving it there to decompose.  We both looked at each other like  . . .  can you believe this?  And left. 


 


I have to be honest and say that it left me truly wondering about their reputation as a farm market. If you cannot be bothered to keep things clean and tidy and well . . .  decent,  edible (at the very least), then I am not sure I ever want to buy anything from your shop. It really was really revolting. This was a deal breaker for me. They obviously have no pride or integrity if they can still have these things for sale to the public. I would have been ashamed and embarrassed were I them. Thankfully I am not.


 

From there we went to the Superstore. I stayed in the car at that point because I needed to go to the bathroom again and, well (see above.)  I gave Cindy my money and she went in to get her few bits and pick me up some sweet potatoes.  I didn't mind sitting in the car. I am a people watcher. I love to watch people to-ing and fro-ing.  As I watch I think about them and what their lives might be like. Everyone has a story and a purpose.  People all have good days and bad days.

I was thinking about Diane Schiffer and those little walks around her drive that she does every morning in her night clothes and her robe. How secure she must feel in and of herself to be able to do that.  It must be very freeing. I am sure her neighbors think her to be quite eccentric, but does she care?  Heck no! I wish I was brave enough to be able to do the same. I am sure it feels quite wonderful. I'm not sure the tickers of the old guys across the road could handle it, however. 😵 One of them is on oxygen already. It would probably do him in.



I do confess that lately I have been struggling a bit emotionally. It is coming up to my wedding anniversary and the anniversary of my escape back to Canada.  I know that these moments do come further and farther between however, so that is a good thing.  I just immerse myself in things I know that will uplift my spirit.  Good music. Good books. The Scriptures.  I have been reading Grace to Become by Emily Belle Freeman again. I love her books

"Hear the Word, search the Scriptures, read good books, receive the sacraments, pray; confer, for these be as so many conduits whereby the creator conveyeth grace unto the soul of the creature." 

I am not sure who Emily quoted from here, but I know this is truth. The more I do these things the more peace I feel, the more comfort. I am a covenant maker and more importantly "a keeper of covenants". 

When I make a promise or a covenant, I try my best to keep it. I draw comfort from that.

I am not sure what I will get up to today. I know I am going out for my Wednesday night supper tonight with my dad and his lady friends.  I am looking forward to that. Maybe not the food so much, but to the spending of time with my dad. Love my dad.

A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *Our hands can't throw stones
if they are busy washing feet.
Fill your days with love and service.
~Hank R Smith•。★★ 。* 。 





In The English Kitchen today . . .  Sweet Pickled Pork & Sauerkraut.  This is delicious comfort food for me.  Love it.

I hope that you have a wonderful day.  Be happy. Be content. Be blessed. Don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too! 
 

8 comments:

  1. A fun outing with Cindy, too bad about the market, Our farmers stand is closed for the season now, will miss it and chats with the lady that works there. I know where all the good bathrooms are too :) And a tree for you, perhaps put it out early so the cats can get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it a capital idea Linda! I will put it out early and get to enjoy it longer! Thank you! xoxo

      Delete
  2. You will love having the kids at Xmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gotta know where all the good washrooms are, that's for sure. You and Cindy had a very busy but fun day. I'm excited you got a Christmmas tree 🌲. You used thhe right word "escape" to Canada. That's exactly what you dif, brave girl. Just remember the good times, Marie. Love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine. You helped me to get the tree! ;-) I will not look at it without thinking of you! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  4. You and Cindy had a lovely day out. I'm going to make your slow cooker ham and sauerkraut as soon as I can buy a ham. You used the right word when you said "escaped" to Canada. That's exactly what you did, brave girl. Remember the good things, Marie. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept both comments Elaine as they were somewhat different. I hope you enjoy the ham and sauerkraut! I did, even if I ended up paying for it digestively a few days later! It was worth the rare treat! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!