Monday 17 October 2022

Small and wonderful things . . .

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best. 




Four simple jars of Mincemeat.  The British kind. There is no meat in it, just lovely fruits.  Vine fruits (sultanas, raisins, currants), candied citrus, spices etc. I was going to make my own this year like I do most years, but alas I cannot get the right peel for it. I like to chop my own peel. I guess I will have to start in January this year when citrus is at its best and make my own candied peel for next year. In the meantime, I have managed to procure four simple jars of British mincemeat.  I will enjoy using these in a variety of ways, some of which will be mince tarts.


 

We have now entered sock weather season. I am grateful for warm socks.  I actually wear Viasox, diabetic socks.  They don't give me cankles. I buy the knee socks so they keep my legs nice and warm in the ber and ary months as well.



Hot water bottles. I finally got myself one. I love a hot water bottle for my toes in the winter, or when my tummy is hurting with cramps or whatever.  You can't beat a hot water bottle. I may have to make it a new cover, however. Maybe a quilted one! We shall see!


 

I am enjoying October. It has been filled with lots of my favorite things.  Family. Friends. Great food. Loads of color. Lots of kitty cuddles. Spiritual inspiration.  Good music.  Home Sweet Home. There is not a lot about October that I don't love! 


 

Jesus and more of Him. I have been trying to pack as much Jesus as I can into each day.   I came across this quote earlier this month:  

"We no longer have the luxury of spending our energy on anything that does not lead us and our families to Christ. That is the litmus test for Relief Society, as well as for our lives. In the days ahead, a casual commitment to Christ will not carry us through." ~Sheri Dew

It was from a talk she gave in 1999. I had not been in the church long when this talk was given. I probably didn't even notice the talk at the time I had so much else going on with my marriage ending, etc. I have made so many mistakes through the years. One of which was allowing my ex-husband to teach my children and co-erce them into believing that my being a Latter Day Saint was somehow wrong.  That I was going to hell because of it.  What kind of father wants his children to believe those things about their mother?  So much damage done. 

Anyways, my Patriarchal Blessing says that I will be as a "light on the hill" to my family as I bear my testimony with courage and love. That they will begin to understand the importance of the gospel and respond to the love that I show them. I have already seen these things starting to come true. At least two of my children now know and believe that I am not going to hell.  

What is hell anyways? We make our own hells.

I have been inviting the Savior into as much of each of my days as possible, and it's been wonderful.  Listening to inspirational music throughout the day, reading inspirational material. Pondering on the scriptures. Writing in my journal about the things I am discovering about Him and about myself.  It's all good and all worthy.


 

There is nothing that a little bit of time with a hot drink and a good book can't make better. Right now, I am reading Pachinko by Min Jin Lee.  I got interested in it by watching the series on Apple TV. Its excellent. The first book in a while that has really grabbed my interest. I find that usually I start books, get only a few chapters in and then I have lost interest in them. I am not sure why that is. I used to read voraciously. I find more often than not I am revisiting books of the past that I really enjoyed and reading them over again. It is a bit like having a visit with an old and much beloved friend.




I finally bought myself an ironing board. I was using my father's and one of the feet was missing on one of the legs, so it wobbled. I don't like a wobbly board.  Hence, I did not do much in the way of ironing. I like nicely ironed pillowcases, linens, etc.  A good ironing board is not cheap, however. Now I have to save up for an iron so then I can give my father his iron back.  Not that he does much ironing, but I do need to have my own.
 

The art of puttering, staying busy.  It might not look like I get a lot done, but I do. I love to putter. I am very hyper, I think. My mind never stays too long on any one thing. I have difficulty concentrating on just one thing and so I jump from one thing to another. Things eventually do get finished in my own timely way.   But I putter.  A bit of this, a bit of that, a lot of everything.  It's just who I am.

Facetimes with much beloved family members. Daily messages.  Time spent with my sister and my father.  Time spent with Jesus. Cuddles with the kitties. A bit of cooking, a bit of cleaning, a bit of crafting. All of these things are precious to me.  I love that my days are embroidered with all of these good and wholesome things in my life. My life is rich and abundant.  I am truly blessed.

A thought to carry with you ...

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *There is a beauty and a power
that radiates from someone who
has seen dark days, and yet
chooses to be a light to others.
~Hank R Smith•。★★ 。* 。




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Chicken Enchiladas Verde for one.  Delicious. Simple.  Quick and easy as well.

I hope your week ahead is filled with abundance and loads of small and wonderful things. Along the way of the week, don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too! 
 


4 comments:

  1. I remember a few years ago when you couldn't find a jar of mincemeat anywhere. I always buy some early in the fall. We're off to IKEA. I think their Christmas stuff is out already. I want to buy some twinkle lights. Enjoy your day. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it strange that a good deal of folks think they know if someone else is going to hell? I always thought that decision was one GOD made, rather than man...guess that part gets missed. We are certainly in that same arena, though from a different religion and outlook...it is hard being shunned, especially by one's children. (Which we have experienced and still are in ways.) Seems your EX might have read the 10 commandments too...like honor your father and mother...well, where does it say only if you agree with them, to honor them?? And then there are other commandments like no adultery, no envy...etc. the list goes on...seems odd to me that such is ignored... Well, Marie, Eternity is much longer than this measily little short life...and people like your EX will not be running the next life...what a shock eh?? NO FENCES there either so far as I know...these thoughts keep us going at times too...
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pouring of rain today, we were heading to the library but will wait awhile to see if the worst passes over. I wear compression sock, very comfy. Mincement, the real kind, hard to find. Love Mr Kipling mince pies but only indulge in one now and the because of the gluten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new week! They seem to be coming faster all the time! I love ironing my pillowcases, linens ….blouses too. You’ve made a sweet life for yourself after much disappointments, enjoy it. As long as we try to do good and be good, we are on the right road.
    xo, V

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!