Thursday 20 October 2022

My Favorite Things . . .

 

A few of the things in my life which make my heart go pitter pat. Maybe they make your heart go pitter pat also!  




Bruce Springsteen. I have been a huge fan since the 1980's. I can remember my friend Kathy who lived next door to me would call me every time he came on the television so that I wouldn't miss seeing him. That's what you did back in the day before computers and cell phones. Loved him then. Love him now.  I especially love some of his newer music. 


 

Berries. I have never met a berry I did not like.  If I had to pick a favorite, I guess it would be strawberries, but only in season. I like them fresh. I like them frozen in smoothies. I like to bake with them. I just like berries!


 

Flowers. Any kind. I love them all.  When I worked at the Manor, the Mrs. would do the most beautiful flower arrangements for all of their luncheons or dinner parties.  She was very talented in that way. She would spend sometimes over 800 pounds on flowers for one occasion. (I know! Can you imagine!)  But they were always beautiful. She and the Estate manager would go into London to the flower market early in the morning and she would pick out all the flowers she wanted to use.  Every room in the house would get a special arrangement and they would all be themed.  Always stunning.


 

Violin music.  I love music in general but I do love the violin.  Chester city used to have a lot of busker violinists and I would love going in on a Saturday and listening to them. One of my favorites was Ed Alleyne Johnson.  If you click on that you can go to a video of him busking in Chester. There are lots of scenes of Chester as well. He's very talented.


Chester was one of my favorite places to live. On the weekends the streets rang with music.


 

Pretty china patterns.  I would be afraid to use them if I had then for fear of them breaking. I have never had real china. My mother never had real china. I don't think anyone in my family has ever had a real set of china. Not that I know of at any rate!  This looks as if it might be Herend.  I don't know for sure. My boss had Herend.  A different pattern and yet very similar.



Clocks. I love to hear the sound of them ticking. It is a comforting sound to me.  We had a cuckoo clock in Chester.  At first it is a real novelty, but it wears off quickly.  Too much noise, but the sound of a clock ticking is something I can live with quite easily.


 

The ballet . . .  so beautiful and elegant.



The art of Carl Larsson. He was a Swedish artist. He painted mostly his home and about his family. I love his work. 


 

Polka dots . . . I love polka dots on anything.  I just love polka dots.


 

Naked cakes. Understated. So easy to dress up.  I am not a fan of gobs of icing anyways. Plain and simple always does it for me. This is quite beautiful.

And those are my favorite things for this week.  Not a lot I know, but I am trying to get simpler and rein myself in. I tend to go overboard with most things.

I had a nice visit with Cindy yesterday afternoon. (a favorite thing) I popped over and brought her a coffee from Timmies and we just sat and visited for a short while. Then last night I had supper with my dad and his friends. I had fish and chips.  The fish was nicely done, but the chips were a bit too done.  Hazel said they were burnt. She had fish and chips also.  Marilyn had haddie bits and chippers. Chippers are potatoes cut like potato chips and fried until crisp.  Dad had a breakfast sandwich and some of my burnt chips.  I can never eat them all.  I gave him some and still had some left on my plate.  I mostly just eat the fish and the coleslaw and a few chips. I had a small bowl of soft ice cream for dessert.  A kiddies size. Just enough and it was good. (Kind of hard to mess up ice cream!)  The best part was being with my dad. Another one of my favorite things!

A thought to carry with you . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Let yourself be silently drawn
by the strange pull 
of what you really love.
It will not lead you astray.
~Rumi•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。





In The English Kitchen today . . .  Pork Steak with Mushroom Gravy.  Deliciously simple. I know I say that all the time, but it's true. I can be rather lazy. Simple always works best for me.

I hope that you have a beautiful day filled with some of your favorite things. Whatever you get up to, don't forget! 


═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!






13 comments:

  1. You have lived in some interesting places...Chester does sound inviting!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful city to live in Elizabeth. When we lived down South in Kent, I always missed Chester so was pleased when we moved back. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Love berries, but getting so expensive now not in season. I do eat lots of frozen blueberries with yogurt in winter. More rain this afternoon, but guess it is better than snow. Enjoy Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we will be getting snow soon enough! Brrr. Hanging onto the autumn days as long as I can! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Lots of favourite things today, Marie. That 'naked' cake was stunning. Have a nice day. I'm off to get my flu shot this evening. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it stunning Elaine! And it looks very simple to make! I hope it went well with your flu shot! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  4. Lots of lovely things today, as usual. Have a charming day. V.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI, Marie! I'm a first time visitor, popping in from Deb's blog "A Day in the Life." I love how pretty and cozy your blog is and I enjoyed your post. I have to admit, though, that I would not have recognized Bruce. I guess I haven't actually seen him in a while and he looks so different to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Stacy! Its always nice to make a new friend. Thank you for your kind words. I think Bruce is aging very well! Yum! xoxo

      Delete
  6. How wonderful Becky! I have some Scandanavian ancestry also. I just think his work is beautiful. I would love to live in a house like his! If you ever get a chance to visit Chester, you should go. Cobble stoned streets and filled with atmosphere. It is so expensive to ship things over Becky. I just couldn't afford it. At the end of the day it is only stuff, and at the end of the day we are none of us bringing any of it with us when we leave! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!