Monday 3 October 2022

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best. 
 

 


This past weekend was the semi-annual General Conference of the church I belong to, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I always try to prepare myself in the weeks prior to Conference spiritually so that I can get the most from them that I can.  I arm myself with questions I am seeking answers to, etc. Second talk in, BANG! All of my questions, insecurities, longings, etc. were addressed.  

"You can build a joyful happy life, because Jesus Christ is your strength."

And it continued throughout the whole five sessions that I watched.  Over and over again I was uplifted and inspired and edified. 



Fear not, doubt not, be of good cheer, let not your heart be troubled.

It's not easy to commit yourself to spending 10 hours of time in one weekend entrenched in the things of the spirit.  The world always pulls us in so many directions.  But I have discovered over the years that it is always worth every second of the attention that I give to these conferences. My spiritual battery is renewed. My faith is upbraided. My testimony is strengthened.  Questions are clarified. Prayers are answered. I am filled with hope and peace, enough to help carry me through the next six months until the next conference comes around. 




I am grateful for my heat pump this morning. First frost of the year. It went down to -1 last night, but my little house is toasty and warm. I have an appointment to have my Winter tires put on the car on the 11th. I will be happy to have that done. I am not sure what else I need to do to have my car winterized? Maybe have the oil changed?  I am not sure.  I have had it undercoated and cleaned thoroughly.  I have always left things like this up to the men in my life. It's not something I have ever really had to think about. I will have to do a google search.

Thank goodness for googling!


 


The autumn dance.  It is starting to escalate now. Leaves are changing color rapidly and dancing about. I love it. "October gave a party. The leaves by hundreds came. The chestnuts, oaks and maples, and leaves of every name." ~George Cooper






Like Anne Shirley, I am so happy that I live in a world where there is Octobers. This is one of my favorite months of the year. General Conference, Thanksgiving, Halloween.  All the colors, the smells, the sounds. It is a month that never stops giving.




Sunday dinner with the family.  I am so grateful that Cindy includes me. Its nice to be there all together. I love my family. 




It's not a great photograph, but this is my second Great Paternal Grandfather. Someone posted this photograph on his entry on Family Search.  We don't have very many photographs of our ancestors, so this was a nice discovery.





I love family history.  Its who we are. 


 

Pumpkins. I am still so undecided. It's a lot of money to spend on something that is just for a holiday . . . 






Hot buttered toast. I'm enjoying some now. To me it is a simple thing I sometimes take for granted.  To others in the world, it is a great luxury. May I always be able to find the joy to be found in a slice of hot buttered toast.


 

I am grateful for having lived my whole life in countries free from great conflict, famine, etc. Do we take those things for granted?  Do we take our comforts, clean water, peace, warmth, shelter, education, etc. for granted. I have been guilty of often never giving those things a second thought. They are only what I have always known throughout my lifetime. I have never known true deprivation of anything. May I always hold those things dear and never take them for granted. There, but for the Grace of God, go I.


My life is filled with lots of joy. It is not perfect. I am not perfect. I strive every day to be better today than I was yesterday. Some days I am brilliant at this, other days I fall short, but I try . . .  always, I try. We will be blessed in the trying. Of this I know for sure.

A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *The primary cause 
of unhappiness
is never the situation,
but your thoughts about it.
~Eckhart Tolle•。★★ 。* 。




In The English Kitchen today . . .  Easy Oven BBQ Pork Chops. No fuss, no muss and sized for two. Delicious.

My son on the Island is still without electricity. I hope it won't be too much longer for them.  It's been a year since he had his successful heart operation. I am grateful for that. It hardly seems a year, but it has been.  Time flies far too quickly.  I wish for you a week ahead filled with an abundance of small and wonderful things. Be happy. Be safe. Be healthy. Be blessed.  Don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too! 
 

6 comments:

  1. A light frost overnight, warning of more to come. Nice to have photos of ancestors, I research our family tree and have been able to go back quite a way, some with photos and/or documents. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have turned a corner into true Autumn Linda! I find family history so fascinating. I wish we had more photographs, but alas we do not! You have a good day also! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Lovely thoughts here...sure nice to think of your weekly family dinners...something I greatly miss from my distant past!! Hubby and I try to read a chapter of Psalms each night...surprising how often what we read fits our day!! And GREAT encouragements there too!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Psalms Elizabeth. There is so much wisdom and peace and yes, encouragement to be found in their words. David was a very wise king! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed the General Conference, Marie. It must have been a lovely, peaceful and uplifting Sunday for you, warm and safe in your own home with Nutmeg and Cinnamon keeping you company. Enjoy your week. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine! I have watched/listened to it all twice now. My spirit has been well fed! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!