Wednesday 7 April 2021

The Heart of the Home




“My opinion of a kitchen?” said Susan, in a tone , with a glance, and a wave of her fork that spoke unwritten volumes, as she translated the perfection of fried cakes from the frying kettle to a tin colander to drain; “my opinion of a kitchen? Well, that would vary somewhat with the mansion that contained it. In any case, however, it would be the pleasantest room in the house, if I had the ordering of things.” The queen of our kitchen said this with a half smile and a half apology, as she continued: “It makes a good deal of difference, you know, to the one who is to spend the best part of her time there.”
 ~Our Susan’s Opinion of a Kitchen, “The Home Cookbook”, Canada’s first community Cookbook  

No doubt about it, to me at any rate, the kitchen has always been at the heart of my home. I am not sure if that is because it is the one room that I have spent the most time in, or if its because it has truly been at the heart of all my homes!

For me, the ideal kitchen would be an "eat in" kitchen  . . .  one with a window over the sink so that I can gaze out at the world whilst working at the dishes.  I would also love one large enough to hold a table and chairs, even if it is only a small one and two chairs.

There is something really warm and friendly about being able to host a friend in your kitchen, sitting at the intimacy of a small table over a warm cup of something and a bite of cake to eat. 

 

Because my father was in the Canadian armed forces, most of the kitchens I grew up in were not large enough to hold a table and chairs,  neither were most of the ones I spent my married lives in.  All the kitchens of the women I looked up to and admired in my childhood however had them . . . 

 
June Cleavers did.  She even had the gingham curtains I so love in hers.  

 
 
Along with the lace nets.   I can just imagine that a chrome and Formica table is hiding beneath that table cloth. 
 
 

Aunt Bea had a table right smack dab in the middle of her kitchen.  The kitchen table was where people ate breakfast and started their days off together. In Aunt Bea's kitchen many a problem was solved or sorted out whilst sitting at that table, even the Russians were able so solve a problem sitting at it whilst eating a midnight feast of cold fried chicken at that table. 
 
 

Donna Reed had a fairly large table sitting in the middle of her kitchen. 
 
 

And so did June Anderson on Father Knows Best.  

 

There were two kitchens with tables in them on Everybody Loves Raymond, his own and his mother's.  And yes, once again, the heart of both homes. 


And who did not love the warmth and love that flowed from the kitchen table in the Walton household . . . 

My first mother in law had a table in the center of her farmhouse kitchen.  It was smack dab in the middle of the room.  It had an old linoleum floor, and a wood fired/electric cook stove as well.  There was a window over the sink to gaze out of as well as a large window in the corner by the table with a rocking chair set right next to the window so that you could sit and rock and look out the window past the veranda on the other side into the drive.  

I learned a lot about cooking from my first mother in law.  As a farm wife, Lois knew a lot about thrift and cooking.  She had to be a good enough cook to feed farm hands and to make wise use of all the things they grew on the farm.  She lived to be over 100 years of age.


 

It would be lovely if my home when I get one has a kitchen I can have a table and a few chairs in, or even just a window over the sink. For the most part, almost all of the kitchens of my adult life have been large enough to hold at least a small table in them and a few chairs, as well as a window over the sink.  The last one did not, but there was a table just outside the kitchen door at the far end of the lounge.  There was also no window over the sink, but to the side. 

Most of my best thinking has been done at kitchen tables.  Every letter I have written for the most part, with the exception of recent months has been at a kitchen table. Every menu planned, every list written, most catalogues perused.  Report cards signed. Plans made.  Conversations held with much beloved friends and family members . . . 

It is indeed a very important spot.  The pulse of the home.  The heart of the home.  And as I write these words this morning,  it occurs to me that it is not the table itself that is the heart of the home, but the people who sit at these tables . . . writing lists, making plans, writing out cards and letters, paying bills, solving problems, playing games, loving others . . . 

So it isn't really the table or the window over the sink that matters the most,  but . . .  I'd still like both.

 

Oh, I am a greedy Gus am I not?

Not a lot planned today.  I might start that Second Coming Course I signed up for. I might make some biscuits or something and tidy my room.  It always needs tidying and organizing.  At the moment it is my whole domain, and it doesn't take much for it to feel/get cluttered. But first . . . 

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
 * Life is unpredictable,
it changes with the seasons.
Even your coldest winter
happens for the best of reasons,
And though it feels eternal,
like all you'll do is freeze,
I promise Spring is coming,
and with it brand new leaves.
~ e. h. •。★★ 。* 。 

 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Old Fashioned Lemon Icebox Pie. Only three simple ingredients.  Deliciously refreshing.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!  I hope the sun shines, if not on your face, at least in your heart.  Don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═════════     


And I do too!     
   






















 

15 comments:

  1. Loved your Ode to a Kitchen Table. I especially love a kitchen table with a lamp on it. Growing up we had a small kitchen but still room for a table. When my parents retired they had a lovely big farmhouse kitchen and a big tsble. Lovely memories. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine! I would love to have an old chrome and Formica set. My sister had a lovely one when she got married back in the 70’s. It had cherries in the Formica pattern. So pretty!I had a huge farmhouse table when I was bringing up my children. It has press back chairs. I loved it. Love and hugs. Xoxo

      Delete
  2. Have a great day..I love nook kitchens..so cute ..two benches w/ a table in the centre..:)There is a home close by that has the smallest one in a window cove and it's adorb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love nooks also! I had sort of created one in the U.K. and I loved that space! Wi Dow nooks are sooo cute! Xoxo

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this one. It brought back memories of the kitchens I have had through the years that have brought many moments of joy. My children often sat at the table to do homework. I too used it for lists and etc. I do like a kitchen window to look out of while doing dishes Right now I do have one. I think the kitchen is a gathering place for sure.
    Thanks for the memories today.
    I think the 2nd Coming class sounds fun; you should let me know about that one.
    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If kitchen tables could talk what stories they would tell! The 2nd coming class I am taking it through Emily Freeman and David Butler! Here is the link:

      https://dontmissthisstudy.com/masterclass

      Its really good! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Most of the places I have lived have had the table as part of the kitchen...it DOES save steps and time in that way...and maybe it was more cozy as you say. I do prefer that set up too...tho the apt we are in now, there is no room for such. So our small table is crowded into the living room portion. We do what we must to make do eh?
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly do Elizabeth. Perhaps when we get our mansions in the afterlife! xoxo

      Delete
  5. I agree with you, I love a table in the kitchen. I don't have room for one in my current kitchen, but I do have a nice dining room right through the doorway. My only window in the kitchen faces north of all directions. I do have nice east windows in my bedroom and in the family room, as well as both bathrooms. Much love to you and yours - Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you have a lovely home Raquel. xoxo

      Delete
  6. One of my sister's has a nook kitchen like Monique described. She also has a big island that u can sit there and eat. I always did during the holidays bc it was too crowded in the dining room.

    U could buy a house that has a nice kitchen with a big window after, that doesn't just have to be a dream.
    U can do anything that u set your mind to do Marie bc your very creative and smart and a go-getter!
    Stay safe and healthy!xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I,m definitely going to make your Lemony Pie ! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. May this dream come true for you, Marie! My childhood home, my aunt Laurie's house across the street from us, and my grandparents' kitchen all had tables in their kitchen, and I love that too. It's a "must" for my dream kitchen. I relate completely. And you know I love the gingham curtains with the lace panel underneath too! :) ♥ That's home and bliss and comfort to me, right there.

    Love and Hugs,

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marie...I’ve been posting comments ....haven’t gotten through....??.....just want you to know I’m enjoying your posts here and The English Kitchen. Who know how this tech stuff works? Not me! xo, V

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!