Monday 25 January 2021

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard  
 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.  

 


My Endy mattress.  I've been sleeping on it for about 2 months now and it really is the best,  most comfortable mattress I have ever had or slept on. Just the right amount of firmness and yet at the same time like sleeping on a marshmallow cloud of comfort. Money well spent as we spend quite a bit of our lives in bed.I wonder what the pillows are like?  Food for thought.  


Lemon Meringue Pie. At the weekend I bought us one of these. Because I have a points card I only paid $3, which was a real bargain for a pie. And, its actually pretty tasty! Bonus!  I never hold out much promise for ready made goods.  They are for the most part pretty second rate, but this wasn't bad at all. 
 

Nature in all of its splendor, with beautiful snow, pretty red cardinals, etc. Every morning we are blessed with a new day of wonders to behold.  We are surrounded by beauty if we are willing to look for it. 
 

Its a beautiful Winter wonderland here today with all of the snow. No snowmen yet, but who knows. The roads are clear. Traffic is moving. 

(source

This is the perfect weather for cosy.  For snuggling under a blanket with a good book and a hot drink. We are so blessed to be warm and indoors. 


Words and their ability to move us.  For the good, for the bad and for everything in between.  They are such powerful things and yet at the same time can be so very delicate. I love to sit and read poetry and stories and books.  I have always loved to read.  Being able to read has brought me so much joy in my life and I am ever grateful for that ability and that I love to do it.  That I love words. 
 

This promise. I am counting on it. 
 

I know this to be true because I have experienced many tender mercies in  my lifetime. 


Gratitude.  Filling your life with gratitude for all things makes for a much happier life. Cultivating an attitude of gratitude. That's the way to live. It beats the alternative. 

It is pretty hard to look at my life and not feel grateful. I have never known a life of true deprivation, of hunger, etc. My parents were not extravagant with us by any stretch, but our needs were always met and then a tiny bit more.  I was blessed enough to have been born into a Western civilization of abundance. I have no sense of entitlement however. I know it is just by chance. I know and appreciate how very blessed I am for that simple thing. There, but for the grace of God go I. We have a tendancy to take all of these simple things for granted. Clean water. Clean air. Food in our bellies, clothing on our backs, rooves over our heads, health care, education, etc. I hope that I always have a healthy gratitude for all of these things.

A thought to carry with you  . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
Happiness does not depend
on what happens outside of you,
but on what happens inside of you.
It is measured by the spirit with
which you meet the problems
of life. ~Harold B Lee •。★★ 。* 。 



In The English Kitchen today, Sheetpan Crispy Chicken & Potatoes.  Deliciously simple!


Have a wonderful week. I hope it is filled with lots of small and wonderful things and people who love you most of all. Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!  














 






 







 

6 comments:

  1. The wonderful thing is that there is always something to be thankful for. Giving thanks makes us feel better for sure !You cannot be sad when you are thinking about the blessings in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many blessings! Happy Monday, happy new week! V

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marie~

    We do have so much to be grateful for! I just love that you are so grateful, it is a wonderful attribute and will take you far in this life.

    I love pie, but like you, the pies I have purchased at the market don't always meet my expectations :0)

    These cold winter days really do make you want to get cozy and snuggle up with a good book. I hope to do some of that later on today.

    Enjoy your day, Marie!! XOXOXO

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, we in this part of the word are most fortunate...well, the most are anyway. Gratitude is a good attitude to have!! I like you, really love words...glad you are doing well!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much to be grateful for. I'm grateful for our friendship, Marie. Glad you didn't get too snowed in. We're expecting a storm tomorrow. Stay safe, stay warm. Hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!