Monday 11 January 2021

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 

 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard  
 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.  


Very wise council.  I need to do more of this.  There is nothing wrong with feeling things and acknowledging your feelings.  But we don't need to wallow in the negativity of hurt and abuse. Learn to let it go. 


This is also true and an important step in being able to move forward. You cannot change what has already happened but you can keep it out of your tomorrows by not dragging it along on the journey with you. Every thing for a reason. 
 
I was thinking about the early Saints and Pioneers this morning, and about all the persecutions and troubles they endured. None of it their fault. They lost everything they had time and time again as mobs and their persecutors drove them from their homes.  Some lost much beloved family members and many even their own lives. They truly suffered, but their faith remained strong. Ultimately they prevailed and were able to forge new lives for themselves and to prosper in the West. 

Many pulled all of their belongings on handcarts across the West of America, walking slowly step by painful step to get to their promised land. But they kept forging and moving foward because they believed and had faith in the journey they were making and the reason they were making it.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. 
So it has been with the best people who ever lived. 
~Jeffrey R Holland
(The Inconvenient Messiah, BYU Speeches, Feb 15, 1982)”  


 
This is Gary. He is old and he is shaggy and probably more than a little bit tired, but every day, several times a day he drags himself up to the top of the table where the microwave is kept and he sits there looking at whoever is in the kitchen, sometimes meowing.  He knows that if he is diligent in this process he will get treats. His diligence always pays off, even if he sometimes has to wait a bit longer than he thinks he should. Eventually someone pays attention to him and gives him what he is waiting for.  Why? Because he never gives up.  There is a lesson here for us all.  


There is a lot of truth to this. Its okay to have a poor me moment, but you can't let it take over you. Following and paying heed to the above criteria is a much better way to deal with the slings and arrows of life. It could always, always be worse.


Sometimes you just need a little treat.  These Viva Puffs are good for that. I had gotten Whippets, which were just marshmallow, but I didn't  really like them that much.  Add a bit of jam, and things improve considerably. 


There is a great comfort in believing this. It doesn't stop you from crying, but it does help to know and  to believe that He cries along with us.  
 
Thou tellest my wanderings;
put thou my tears into thy bottle;
Are they not in thy book?

 What a sweet thought is suggested here of God's remembrance of His children''s afflictions.  

I apologise if I have wallowed. I have never wanted to be a wallow-er. Sometimes I feel like I can't do right for doing wrong.  Right now my feelings are so tender I feel like even the slightest scratch will create a torrent of emotion, and so I just keep forging forward, trying not to overthink or overfeel. This too shall pass.

A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
Tears are prayers too,
they travel to God when
we cannot speak. •。★★ 。* 。 

I never thought I could come this far and yet, here I am.  I am sorry if I have not been so quick to comment on or to respond to comments or sometimes even to read other blogs. I am trying, but I just feel weighed down sometimes. I must do better.



In The English Kitchen today  . . . Cowboy Casserole.  A quick and easy and quite tasty weeknight supper. 

I wish for you a wonderful week ahead. May you find beauty and wonder even in the mundane.  Don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!  




21 comments:

  1. Ah Marie, you have been through a horrific ordeal...and still not over entirely right? Give yourself time to grieve and recover!! I have loved that Psalms verse every since I found it...and if GOD keeps our tears, there has to be a good something concerning that!! I hope all the parts of your life there will be coming together soon too...do take care!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the scriptures are filled with wonderful things for each of us Elizabeth. I find great comfort in them. I have loved every prayer and thought you have ever sent to me. xoxo

      Delete
  2. It's normal to my gosh not even want to blog oneself in dire times..
    This is an extremely hard time for you..Take care of YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just keep moving forward one step at a time. You will get there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie~

    You have made such strides, don't feel bad for still "feeling". It may take a good long time before you are able to feel without stumbling a little. I think the best way to deal with those feelings is to turn them into words...and you do that beautifully!

    Those faithful pioneers! They were so brave and so determined...just like you my friend! carry on, sweet friend. XOXO

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get great inspiration from the Pioneers Barb. Are we not all pioneers in our own ways? I think so! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  5. Marie, you write us beautiful posts every day. You don't have to respond to all our comments. We know you're out there.. Stay safe. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elaine. You stay safe also. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  6. Marie, you are a wallower and a narcissist. You demand others save you, then whinge when they don’t let you control their home. Please stop whining about what you left behind in the hopes others will lard you up with gifts. Cultivate gratitude, maybe pitch in and help your sister instead of focusing on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I apologise if I have wallowed." - Oh Marie, you have not wallowed! You have faced this head on and you have come out a winner! Your writing is so important to so many of us, your recipes feed our families (in a grand way!) and we are all so glad that we are friends - even virtual friends. May God grant us all the grace to handle adversity the way you have. Virtual hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! I am glad that we are friends also. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  8. Oh, my dear friend, You shouldn't apologize at all. Many years ago we were going through a struggle and one of the 12 Apostles at the time gave a talk about depression. He said that it was OK to be depressed as long as you didn't Wallow in it. However, with everything you have gone through you are OK. You are grieving and that takes a while and takes some work to make it through it all.
    In fact, the important thing is to acknowledge the feelings and feel them. If you feel angry, you can always punch a pillow. If you need to cry, let it go. It is extremely not healthy to keep it all inside. You have had a hard row to hoe and you need to just work it through and not stop feeling when you have a moment of it. Yes, don't stay in it for sure, but know that you are perfectly normal in just knowing that is grieving. You have lost much!
    I personally think you have handling it all in a magnificent way. You have been positive and are taking that one step at a time. You have a testimony and it is strong and it will get you through.
    May you know the love I have for you dear sister in Christ. You are a giant in my eyes for all that you have done. What you have made it through is huge, and what wonderful lessons you will teach others through your great example of having great grace under fire.
    Sending loving thoughts, prayers and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much LeAnn. Your prayers and support and the prayers and support of others have truly helped me to keep moving forward. You have all been the Saviour's hands. Love, hugs and blessings. xoxo

      Delete
  9. Dear Marie...You don't have to "do better" today..just do what feels right for you today. "Doing better", if you want that, will come later, after "today"...Recovery takes time. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Lynney! God bless! xoxo

      Delete
  10. Good golly, Marie! You have come such a looong way in such a short time! Give yourself credit and some more time to heal from the trauma and upset you’ve endured. You’re correct, this too shall pass. Be good to you, I’m guessing that’s the advice you would give to someone in a similar situation. Your words mean a lot to me, many times, making my day! Your words mean more than you’ll ever know. Keep going, you’re needed. Sending prayers your way. V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much V. It is people like you that I keep annonymous comments alive for. Oh how I would miss it if you didn't comment. Your words mean a lot to me also. xoxo

      Delete
  11. Everyone is going through a battle, some more silent then others. Be kinder then necessary and focus on the positive. Negative only feeds negative. My uncle was put in jail for miscellaneous charges then murdered there, as you can probably guess by my last name I still find respirators on my front lawn on the anniversary of certain dates or when they air another documentary movie about him but I’d rather focus on the positive. I still have it far more blessed then many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is no such thing as a charmed life Jen, only people who are good at hiding what they are going through. I am sorry you have to put up with the ignorance of people too. (((((hugs))))) xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!