Thursday 28 January 2021

My Favourite Things . . .

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjOOPpfEd5Zsq2tbOc2-UBk6Njak8VrG7e7evggWXGZ2mh-j53ekFS5_iJ7oLR7meELGbGOHT1tpJoMRH-WDForIBx-F86puBU5K_uuGKf1hWiGc5Jko8kG6S71gFooUD3ZEZNrNzAWfJI/s320/alfp_favorite_things.png 

These are a few of my favourite things. Maybe some of them are your favourites too. It is a good to take your mind off things that are bringing you down and to dwell on the good more often than not. You can admire without wanting. What can I say, I like to look at pretty things!    

 

  Decorative Tins.  I love them. I used to have a magnificent collection of them when we had our house in New Brunswick. There was space over the tops of my cupboards and I had them lined up around them to decorate my kitchen.  They looked really nice. 

 

Old Cookie Jars. This is mine.  I got her many years ago at a yard sale. I packed her in one of the nine boxes my church sent over for me. I hope she made it without being broken, but if she did, well, that's life.  Anyways, I love old cookie jars.

 

Hoosier Cabinets. I would love to have one of these.  I think they are amazing.  

 

Barns.  Old. New.  Everything in between. I could spend hours looking at them.  When we used to travel through New Hampshire I was fascinated by the barns attached to the houses, which must have been totally practical in the winter!  

 

Roast Chicken.  I think I love it even more than turkey. I could eat a roast chicken every week and be perfectly content. You can get a good three or more meals from a large roasted chicken.  I love it roasted the first day, with gravy and mashed potatoes, and then sandwiches or a casserole the second day and then a lovely pot of soup from the bones.   You cannot beat a tasty roast chicken for eating pleasure!  

 

Vegetables.  I have never met a vegetable I did not like.  I could eat them happily three times a day.  Raw, roasted, boiled, steamed.  I just love vegetables.  On their own, combined, etc. I could not live without vegetables. 

 

 


Likewise fruits.  I do have my ultra favourites when it comes to fruit and some I am just so/so with, but for the most part I really like fruit as well.

EAT A RAINBOW!  

 

 I am a huge fan of NICE television.  Little House on the Prairie.  The Waltons. Road to Avonlea. Andy Griffith, etc. I love it all and would be happy just watching things like this forever.  No violence, sex or swearing.  It is television with good morals, and I quite enjoy it. 

 

Victorian Wooden Penny Peg Dolls.  I love them.  But then again, I just love dolls in general. My sister used to make Victorian Peg dolls to sell and they were gorgeous.  I wish she still did.  

 

Warm socks and a raging fire on a cold Winter's day  . . . 

 

Tea Cosies.  I love tea cosies, even though I don't really drink tea.  This one is a free pattern from Red Heart.   

 

Winter candles . . .  candles are not quite the same in summertime. It stays light too late.  In Winter you have the early nights, twilight afternoons that show candlelight off to its best.  Snuggle snuggle. 

 

Redwork embroidery.  This combines my love of all things red and white with my love of embroidery.  Two loves together.  You can't get much better!  

 

Bird houses.  I love bird houses and would have a garden filled with them if I could.  I love painting them also.   I had bird house curtain tie backs in my bedroom once upon a time.  I loved those  . . .
 
 
 
 Whirligigs.  I adore whirligigs.  If I could, I would have a garden filled with them also!  Simple or complicated.  I love them all.  

 

I quite simply adore Hot Dogs.  I know that they are filled with ucky stuff, I don't care.  It doesn't bother me.  I love Hot Dogs.  With mustard and relish and onions.  I am not a lover of ketchup with bread, so I won't have that on my hot dog, however  . . .  if I am just eating the frankfurter, I love LOVE dipping it in ketchup. 

 

Old mirrors  . . .  aged, crazed and mottled.  They make me think about all the people who might have gazed into them through the years . . . if they could talk what could an old mirror tell us . . . 

 

Cast Iron bed steads  . . .  especially if they are painted . . .  and wooden floor boards . . .  painted as well.  Love them both.  

 

Children's faces.  They are not afraid to express how they are feeling.  Filled with wonder and joy.  

 

Maxine.  She says what we would all love to be able to say out loud.  

 

Pretty stockings.  These are thigh highs.  I prefer full-ons, like leotard type, but these are just so darned pretty.  Stockings with flowers on them.  Beautiful. 

 

I love LOVE this chair.  Now that's a conversation piece if ever I saw one.  Can you imagine, and I would think that it would fit in any colour scheme! Not sure how comfy it would be, but I just adore it. 

 

I love this hair. I think it is just beautiful. Silver . . .  

 

Shirley Temple Movies.  Even the few that she was in as she got older.  They are simple and sweet.  I think two of my favourites are Heidi and Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. 
 
I find them easy to watch and enjoy.
There is not a lot of background music
drowning out the dialogue. 

 

The Illustrations of Joan Walsh Anglund.  Her characters are so sweet. 

 

Embroidered Handkerchiefs.  I know people don't use them anymore, but that doesn't stop me from loving them. 

 

Wool Blankets.  They keep you very warm.  

 

Hand Embroidered Pillow Slips.  I love these too.   I love embroidering them and I love using them. 

 

Classic 1950's television sitcoms.  I love Lucy.  Father Knows Best.  The Donna Reid Show. Leave it to Beaver. etc.  Love them all and never get tired of them.  

 

Vintage Chrome Dining Sets.  I would snap it up in a minute if I could find one.   I had one when I was first married a long time ago.  It was my parent's old one that I had had recovered. My sister also had a really nice one when she was first married.  Oh so long ago . . . 

And those are my favourite things for this week.  What are some of yours?

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.
If you can't be kind
. . . be quiet.  •。★★ 。* 。  



In The English Kitchen today, Slow Cooker Beef Tacos.  Deliciously simple! 

Have a great Thursday!  Don't forget along the way of your day!
 
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 
 
And I do too! 
 
  
 


12 comments:

  1. Look on Varage Sale..those kithchen sets often pop up.Lots of same faves here..Happy you brought her home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn’t bring myself to leave her. I would have gladly brought Mitzie in her place if I could have though! ❤️

      Delete
  2. "If you can't be kind, be quiet" - excellent advice. Your favourite things are my favourite things. How is Jazzy? Have a good day. It's freezing here. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jazzy is doing great!it’s freezing here today also! Love and hugs! Xoxo

      Delete
  3. I love an occasional hotdog...with mustard (my favorite condiment!)...and I don't feel guilty for eating one. 😊 ~Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either! They are my kind of junk food! ❤️

      Delete
  4. That style of table was what was in my house growing up, except it was red. But it brings me very sad feelings...I suspect because of the abuse I got growing up. I like your blue one MUCH better!!
    Lots of nice things you chose today...lots of nice things to think on...
    hugs, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sad that you had to suffer through that! (((( hugs)))) love and hugs. Xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hi Marie~

    Loved it all...we are so alike, Marie! Must be the year we were born ;0)

    I pray that your cookie jar made is safe and sound across the ocean...along with all your other treasures of course.

    It was fun to look at tall your fun ideas and finds! I hope you realize how much your posts mean to so many of us. I really look forward to reading them each day...I love them, and I love you too! XOXOXO

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Barb! You made my day! ❤️❤️

      Delete
  6. My favorites too! That’s cookie jar!!!! ♥️ V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much V! Its a treasure. I hope it made the journey intact. xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!