Monday 18 January 2021

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

  


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard  
 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.   

 

Doug in a Viking Hat

A son who unfailingly always always facetimes me on his day off.  I am so grateful for this son of mine and for his love for me. He has three boys and works hard at his job and I know he has better things to do on his day off, but he always calls  me for a facetime.  Usually accompanied with Jake and Baya (the family dog) and sometimes the other two boys as well.  This weekend Jon was also there. It  means the world that he takes this time each week to spend some time wih me.  

Eileen in her heyday as a special olympian 

This special daughter of mine who also takes the time to message  me every day that she can. I had gotten her a new tablet for her birthday, but somehow it kicked her off facebook and she couldn't get back in.  She had to start a new facebook page. Despite the many challenges she faces in life, she always manages to rise above them with a smile on her face. She has a smile which lights up a room. She was so attentive to me when I was in Quarantine.  Visiting me outside the window sometimes twice a day. Standing out in the cold just to let me know she loves me.  I am so grateful for this wonderful daughter of mine. 
 
Anthony being a dad at Eileen's wedding

This other son of mine who also messages me often and facetimes too.  He sends me photos of the things he is cooking and supports me in whatever way that he can. My first born, he has been with me longer than the others and has weathered many of my battles in life with me. For a time there was just him and I. He is a good son, a good dad, a good husband and a good friend and one of my biggest fans.

That works out well because I am his biggest fan also. 
 
 
This wonderful sister of mine who has been my best friend and voice of reason for 63 years now, all of her life. I am so grateful for her help and for this time we get to spend together. I love her so very much.  She has weathered more over these past few years than anyone should ever have to go through. Today will be a hard day for her. Please keep her in your happy thoughts and hearts. 
 
(dad on his 83rd birthday)

I can't believe I didn't get a photo of dad yesterday on his birthday!  Bad me. I am so grateful for this father of mine. He  is always smiling and trying to cheer up those around him. When we were at his on Saturday bringing him his groceries I made the mistake of telling him I liked his candlesticks. He gave them to me. He wanted to give me more things. I had to keep telling him I was living in a room and didn't have the space, to wait until I am in my own place, etc. He did enjoy his Birthday here.  With his favourite shake and bake wings and a cake. My brother and family facetimed him. My cousin Maria stopped by. It made his day. I love him so much and am so, so, so grateful to be able to spend this time with him.


My brother who has always been there, or tried to be there, for all of us. He is a good, good, good man. I admire him in so very many ways. I can still remember how excited I was on the day that he was born. My sister and I held hands and danced around my grandparents kitchen singing, "We have a baby brother!" I remember it clearly. We used to spend hours talking on the telephone each week. Not so much in recent years, but occasionally we do. Life gets busy, time passes, but he is always in my heart and mind.

 
And I am very grateful for mine.
Always.

For the love of and love for my children and grandchildren. For parents who brought me up well and to be a good person, for their fine examples to me.  For siblings that are always and have always been there for me. For love that is unconditional. 

For each of you and your love and support. It means the world to me. I don't tell you enough.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
Early to bed
and early to rise
makes a man healthy,
wealthy and wise.
~Benjamin Franklin
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 

Hmmm . . .  this is a saying I have known my whole life, but until this  morning, I don't think I ever knew who said it first! 



There is nothing new in the kitchen today, but I am sharing these delicious Lemon Kisses with you.  Beautiful cookies with lovely lemon flavours.  A hat-trick of lemon flavours in the cookie, filling and glaze!

Have a wonderful week. I hope it is filled with lots of small and wonderful things and people who love you most of all. Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!  






















12 comments:

  1. You are blessed:)You must be so grateful for all these caring people..Yay..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family is no small thing at all but the most important thing. Unconditional love iw wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with you Pam. I know you are very lucky in this way also! xoxo

      Delete
  3. How delightful to read about the love and bonds of family. Counting your blessings and appreciating your gifts in life, we all need to do this!! Family has never been more important than in these scary virus times. Friends too. Blessings to all on this Monday. xo, V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much V! Blessings right back to you always. xoxo

      Delete
  4. oh I feel so giddy when I read your posts!
    —your life brings joy and strength to my day–
    Funny how angels come and go, but when they do arrive; well gosh, I am humbled and happier than ever. GRATEFUL.

    Yes, thank you, Marie, for sharing your journey (and recipes) with us!

    x-x-x-love love lovex-x-x-x
    Teri
    Parkdale, Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The earth is filled with angels Teri! Most don't have wings, but they serve us all the time! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Family is everything, Marie. You have raised fine children. Lovely you could be with your dad on his birthday. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elaine. Love and hugs to you and Larry! xoxo

      Delete
  6. So happy for these lovely people who surround you now!! And that they are YOURS!!
    HUGS, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!