Tuesday 7 February 2012

The Simple Woman's Day book . . .




FOR TODAY, February 7th, 2012...

Outside My Window...

All is calm, and dark, and very, very foggy!! We went to visit an elderly friend of ours last evening and thankfully it was only a few streets over because the fog was so thick one could scarce see in front of the face! That's February for you!

I am thinking...
In our church we set aside one evening a week for Family Home Evening. This is a time for a family to do something together which will draw them closer together as a family and uplift them. Monday evenings are the suggested evening, but you can choose whichever evening works best for you as a family. Monday has always worked for us. For the past two Monday's we have been watching the Work & The Glory films. (There are three of them.) They are based on Gerald Lund's series of books entitled the same (The Work and The Glory, there are 9 volumes.) We've also each read the books about 3 times. We enjoy them both immensely. The movies are entertaining and the books are real page turners. Last night when we were watching the second film (American Zion) my heart was really touched by the trials that the early Saints went through in their search to find a place in America where they could worship and live without persecution and in safety. I found myself feeling so very grateful for all that they endured in those early years of the church and uplifted by their strong examples of courage and faith. We found ourselves wondering if we would have the strength to stand up for our faith in the same way, against such odds. I hope we never have to find out for sure, but I think that I would . . . I know that I would. I have already had to give up a lot to be a member of this church . . . family, friends, etc. and so were I not to keep my testimony strong against ALL odds, the sacrifices would have been for nothing. I cannot let them be for nothing.

I am thankful for...
A lovely warm house which keeps us dry and comfortable, especially in this recent spate of cold weather. We've been very lucky here in that we have not had any snow to speak of, but I know the rest of the country hasn't been so lucky. I worry about the homeless people out there and pray for them each day. It must be very horrible to be homeless when the weather is bad. The ladies' group in our local Ward (church congregation) has been participating in an ongoing charity this year, gathering men's socks, underwear and clothing for a Men's Homeless Shelter in Molde. We cannot keep up with the need. As fast as we bring the stuff in, it is used. I am thankful that all my needs are met and I am grateful for the opportunity to share my abundance with others, if only in a small way.

From the kitchen...
Not a heck of a lot. Sometimes that is a good thing.

I am wearing...
Pink and yellow jim jams and my robe and slippers.

I am creating...

I am busy creating some decorations for our RS Activity on Thursday evening.

I am going...
I have the daily reading lessons of course, and then I have the RS Activity on Thursday evening. Other than that my week is pretty much blessedly free to do what I want with. It's nice once in a while to have an empty calendar!

I am reading...



Say When, by Elizabeth Berg

'He felt his stomach tighten, his heart begin to race. The coffeemaker beeped, signalling its readiness, and Ellen got up and poured two mugs. She set one in front of Griffin, one in front of herself. Griffin watched the steam rise up and curl back on itself, then dissipate. He said quietly, "I'm not going anywhere." "Pardon?" "I said, I'm not going anywhere. I'm not moving." She nodded. "I see. Well, I can't. I have to be here to take care of Zoe." Griffin pictured his daughter, a redheaded beauty who would knock the stuffing out of any man who crossed her. "All right, you can stay, too," he told Ellen. "Griffin. One of us has to go."

In Say When, Elizabeth Berg negotiates perfectly the fine balance between humour and poignancy as she charts the days and nights of a family whose normal life has been shattered. Told from the point of view of a man who goes overnight from being a husband to becoming his wife's roommate, this is a gripping and heartfelt story. I have only just begun to read it over the past few nights and I am really enjoying it. But then . . . I love everything Elizabeth Berg writes!


I am hoping...
That the ladies enjoy our Activity we have planned for them on Thursday Evening. It's an activity based on LOVE . . . afterall . . . February is the month of love, is it not??

I am hearing...
Nothing much. Mitzie is snoring away on the sofa. The keys are tapping. All is quiet outside . . . the birds are waking up so a bit of chirping and the odd car that drives by. A very normal, ordinary, everyday start to the day.

Around the house...



I have long admired Scandanavian design and decor. I just adore this hallway. I think it looks so very welcoming and beautiful. I Love the bench, which gives just the perfect place for you to sit and put your boots or shoes on. I love the beadwork panneling on the sides of it and the scrolled back, the mirror, the light sconces . . . the colours! I adore that stained glass above the double doors and the light that glows through it all. It all seems so fresh and warm, and says . . . "Come on in!" I think that's what a hallway should say!

If I could change one thing it would be...
That all my children would be happy and healthy and content with their lives. They have their struggles and, whilst I know that struggle is all a part and parcel of this life we have here on earth, there are times I just wish that they did not have to struggle so very much.

I am looking forward to ...
Seeing what I will get up to today??? I know I am going to bake cookies at some point. Two of our missionaries are leaving for new areas tomorrow and I want to bake some cookies for them as a thankyou and a farewell. I always hate to see them leave . . . I have a special heart for all the missionaries, but then again, I always love meeting and getting to know the ones that replace them, and being able to serve for and with them in any way that I can.


One of my favourite things...
Is daydreaming. I have always been a daydreamer. OH, the wonderful places I go in my head . . . the things that I see . . . the people that I meet . . . it's absolutely amazing!

A few plans for the rest of the week...
A bit of work . . . a bit of play . . . and everything in between!! Not a heck of a lot really.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...





Enjoy life . . . there are no re-runs.
~Shirl Lowery

We only have one chance to make this life the very best that we can make it. It will not come again. Sing like nobody's listening, dance like nobody's watching, and love like there's no tomorrow. Squeeze the most joy out of every day that is yours. Each sunrise and the day that follows is a gift from above. How you choose to unwrap it . . . is up to you.

As a closing thought I would like to leave you with this:


"Who seeks more than he has hinders himself from enjoying what he has.
~Solomon Ibn Gabirol

I just love this . . . it is so true. True joy comes from being content with what we have.

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!


If you put anything in a pie shell, I am there. I just adore PIE in any way, shape or form!!! This is one of our favourites. Chicken Salad Pie!



*Chicken Salad Pie*
Serves 8
Printable Recipe

Everyone's favourite chicken salad, except in a pie!!

pastry for a single crust 9 inch pie
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups frozen broccoli florets
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
1/4 cup minced onion
1/2 tsp dried tarragon leaves
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
3 TBS dry white wine (or chicken broth)
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese

To garnish:
8 toasted pecan halves
red grapes

Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7.

Line a 9 inch glass pie pan with the pastry, Trim and flute edges as desired. Do not prick the crust. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.

Combine all the remaining pie ingredients in a large bowl, with the exception of the cheese, mixing all together well. Spoon this mixture iinto the partially baked crust. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.

Return to the oven and bake for 25 to 35 minutes longer, until golden brown and bubbling. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges to serve. Garnish each wedge with a toasted pecan half and a small cluster of grapes if desired.




Cooking in The English Kitchen today, Cauliflower Cheese Fritters.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!