Tuesday 31 January 2012

The Simple Woman's Day book . . .




FOR TODAY, January 31st, 2012...

Outside My Window...

All is calm, and dark, and very cold. No snow as of yet, but I heard that they got some down South yesterday. Our Camelia bush by the front door is filled with buds that have already turned pink. We've had quite a mild winter so far this year.

I am thinking...
I didn't do so well at the Dr's yesterday. I went for my knees again, hoping to be able to get another cortizone shot in each, but came away confused and more than a little miffed. The Doctors in our local surgery changed frequently for some reason. In any case yesterday the Dr I saw told me that I was only entitled to have two shots in each joint for my whole lifetime, and yet the time before I had been told I was entitled to 3 per year per joint. What is the truth? Also the previous Dr had given me a prescription to have filled for the shots and I ended up with a whole bag full to bring back to the surgery myself when I went for my shot. There had to be at least 20 vials in the bag if not more. He used one and kept the rest. This Dr yesterday gave me a prescription for ONE vial and the chemist themselves will be sending it to the surgery before Friday. Sounds a bit strange to me.

I am thankful for...
We were told yesterday that they won't have to turn off our gas again. THANK GOODNESS!!! It was pretty cold in here yesterday. The works are ongoing on the street and it will probably be about 8 weeks until we can park in the drive again, but at least our house is done! ☺

From the kitchen...
Not a heck of a lot. Sometimes that is a good thing.

I am wearing...
Pink and yellow jim jams and my robe and slippers.

I am creating...

I have nothing on the table at the moment, which is unsual for me. I am busy getting my lesson organized for Sunday. There were some very good suggestions given by you all last week and I am inspired. I think I've got a handle on it now!! Thanks!

I am going...
I have the daily reading lessons and then I have my Presidency Meeting on Wednesday Evening and then on Friday an appointment for one shot in one knee. ( I have only had one shot in my left knee so far so am allowed to have one more. *grumble *grumble)

I am reading...



Once Upon A Time There Was You, by Elizabeth Berg

Even on their wedding day, John and Irene sensed that they were about to make a mistake. Years later, divorced, dating other people, and living in different parts of the country, they seem to have nothing in common—nothing except the most important person in each of their lives: Sadie, their spirited eighteen-year-old daughter. Feeling smothered by Irene and distanced from John, Sadie is growing more and more attached to her new boyfriend, Ron. When tragedy strikes, Irene and John come together to support the daughter they love so dearly. What takes longer is to remember how they really feel about each other. Elizabeth Berg’s immense talent shines in this unforgettable novel about the power of love, the unshakeable bonds of family, and the beauty of second chances.

As you know I am a real fan of Elizabeth Berg. I just love all of her books and this one is no exception. I am loving this one too!! I only have about 2 more chapters left to read and guess what I have lined up next?? Yep, another one by Elizabeth Berg.

I am hoping...
That this shot works well on Friday and that my left knee improves at least. I am very disappointed by this all. (Can you tell??) It's not that I loooove having shots, but the last ones improved my situation so very much. I had about 6 great months in which I had a lot more mobility and now I am back to square one again . . .

I am hearing...
Nothing much. Mitzie is snoring away on the sofa. The keys are tapping. All is quiet outside . . . the birds are waking up so a bit of chirping and the odd car that drives by. A very normal, ordinary, everyday start to the day.

Around the house...






Don't you just love this????? It's like shabby chic, French country. I love the colours and I adore the lettering. I think it is just beautiful.

I am looking forward to ...
Giving my lesson on Sunday. I sure hope that the ladies get a lot out of it.

If I could change one thing it would be ...
I am going to be selfish today and say that I would make my knees all better again. I hate being selfish, but there you have it.

One of my favourite things...
Is being able to share my feelings and thoughts with you. Daft as it sounds, you are all so very real to me and I value your opinions and thoughts too. We may never have met in person for the most part, but you all feel like very close and valued friends to me.

A few plans for the rest of the week...
A bit of work . . . a bit of play . . . and everything in between!! Not a heck of a lot really.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...



You meet a friend, your face brightens . . . you have struck gold.
~Kassia

a bit of a cheeky picture I know, but these gals just look like the best of friends. There is an easy camaraderie there. They just "get" each other. I have the feeling that they end each others sentences and know everything there is to know about the other . . . that they share everything . . . all their thoughts, their hopes, their dreams, their sorrows, their joy. Such a friend is a treasure beyond measure. Truly.

As a closing thought I would like to leave you with this:


“You cannot kindle a fire in any other heart unless you have one burning in your own."
~Harold B. Lee

I just love this . . . it is so true. Enthusiasm is contageous.

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!


Here is an oldie but a goodie from an old Pillsbury booklet that I purchased back in 1991. There's a lot of water under the bridge since then, I can tell you! This booklet is worn and tattered and torn, but remains one of my favourites. I have stolen the picture from the booklet too, because in all truth . . . Todd hates chocolate and there is no way I want to ever eat 20 servings of this all by myself. It makes a great dessert to bring to a potluck meal though, or for when you are having a large gathering at home.



*Chocolate Bread Pudding with a Raspberry Cherry Sauce*
Serves 20
Printable Recipe

Rich chocolate soufflee like bread pudding. Delicious!

For the pudding:
1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup whipping cream
2/3 cup firmly packed soft light brown sugar
5 eggs, separated
1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups soft bread cubes

For the Sauce:
2 TBS sugar
4 tsp cornstarch
1 (16-oz) tin of pitted dark sweet cherries, drained and syrup reserved
1 (10-oz) packet of frozen raspberries in syrup, thawed, drained, and syrup reserved

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/gas mark 4. Butter a 12 by 8 inch baking dish.

Combine the chocolate chips and cream in a large saucepan. Heat over low heat until the chips are melted, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/3 cup of the brown sugar. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, blending well after each addition. Continue to cook until slightly thickened. Add the butter and vanilla. Stir until smooth. remove from the heat and stir in the bread.

Beat the egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining brown sugar, beating at the highest speed until stiff peaks form. Fold this mixture into the chocolate mixture. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Set the baking dish into a pan of hot water which comes 1/2 way up the sides of the baking dish. (I put the pan in the oven and set the baking dish into it and then add the hot water, as it is difficult to move it once it is filled and the baking dish is in it.) Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the centre is set.

To make the sauce, combine the sugar and the cornstard. Gradually stir in the reserved liquids from the fruits. Cook over medium heat until the mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Cool slightly, then stir in the fruit. Serve over the warm bread pudding.

Store any leftover pudding and sauce in the refrigerator.

Link
Cooking in The English Kitchen today, a delicious Oven Hash!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!