Tuesday 10 January 2012

The Simple Woman's Day book . . .




FOR TODAY, January 10th, 2012...

Outside My Window...

All is calm, and dark, and somewhat cold. We've really had a very mind winter so far this year, and I dare say . . . with a LOT of wind. No snow as of yet. My mom says they haven't had a lot of snow either. Snow one day, rain the next so nothing stays. She says the ground isn't even frozen yet, which is very unusual for Canada in January!

I am thinking...
I got an e-mail from my daughter this morning wanting to know what colour I would be wearing for the wedding. That is the first time I have been asked that question. I don't know what to say. I haven't even begun to look for a dress yet. When I do though, it will probably be either blue or pink, because those are the colours I like and that look best on me.

I am thankful for...
The Holy Ghost in my life. It helps to guide me and helps me to make right choices most of the time. I know it may sound a bit corny to some, but it's true. I am so grateful for it's presence in my life. I don't know how anyone copes without it!

From the kitchen...
There is not an awful lot . . . leftover cookies I think. I am trying hard to be good.

I am wearing...
Turquoise Nightie, grey and pink jim jam bottoms, slippers and robe. Yes, I know it is a bit of an odd mix, but meh . . . it keeps me warm.

I am creating...




I think I am finally getting the art of shading hair properly!! What do you think??? I sat down and did this little lady yesterday afternoon after Todd got home from town. I never know what I am going to paint when I first sit down. I sit for a few minutes, plug in my Walkman and let the music speak to me and then, and only then does my pencil begin to move on the paper. What comes out comes out. I think she looks quite relaxed and reflective.

I am going...
I have an appointment this afternoon on the other side of town and then tomorrow the council is coming for another appointment for our shower. I think this is the final approval. (Fingers crossed it goes through!) I have invited some friends for lunch on Thursday. Todd has a hospital appointment on Saturday for his hearing, and I think an old missionary who is now home from his mission is coming to stay with us for a few days. I can't remember the exact day he arrives, but it will be nice to see him again! He was a nice lad! He has come back to be a witness in a trial over here. Apparently he witnessed a crime when he was on his mission. I had told him did he ever need a place to stay we had a room, and you know how the rest goes!

I am reading...




(watch the trailer, it's good)

Sadie, by Rebecca Belliston

Sadie Dawson thinks she has the perfect life until one Christmas Day when a misunderstanding leads to a brutal event that changes everything. Terrified, Sadie flees her boyfriend's wrath, two FBI agents, and her "perfect life." Lost in a Montana snowstorm and desperate for refuge, she's rescued by four guys on their annual holiday ski vacation. But even as her physical wounds heal, Sadie wonders is she will ever be able to escape the clutches of her wealthy and determined boyfriend. While her heart tells her there is more to a perfect life than diamond necklaces and elegant dinner parties, Sadie doesn't know who she can trust. And just when her heart settles, she finds herself abandoned by the one person who swore to protect her for a religion she doesn't understand. Will she have the courage to follow her heart and find the life that is perfect for her?

I am loving the strength and personalities of the characters in this book. It has caught my interest and kept it, a real page turner. Plus it is wonderfully refreshing to be able to read a "Romance" novel which is wholesome and doesn't have any nasty colourful bits. I highly recommend! (On a side note, she is also the daughter of Gerald Lund, author of a bazillion great books, my favourite of which is called Divine Signatures.)


I am hoping...
I was greatly relieved last week to find out that Todd only has Blepharitis in his eye, not a detached retina. Our eyes are so very important. I have often thought about had I to choose one thing to give up . . . sight or hearing . . . I would rather lose my hearing than my sight. You can feel sound if you need to . . . but I know of nothing that would take the place of my eyes.

I am hearing...
Nothing much. Mitzie is eating her breakfast in the kitchen. The keys are tapping. All is quiet outside. A very normal morning.

Around the house...





The ideas that people come up with for storage are amazing to me. I don't know why, but my brain just doesn't work that way. I can think of a hundred ways to mess some place up, but to tidy it and organize it . . . I just have no clue. This idea here is from Martha Stewart and shows you how to organize and store your bedding. Just keep sheet sets folded tidily inside one of the matching pillow cases! It's such a simple idea and yet . . . why didn't I think of it????

I am looking forward to ...
I have a darned cold again, with the cough. I don't think I have ever really shaken it 100%. It just keeps coming back. Most annoying. I am looking forward to a day, hopefully in the not too distant future when I will no longer have it!

If I could change one thing it would be ...
That I could lose some of this extra weight I carry around with me. I know the solutions . . . but I can't seem to take hold of them. I wish I didn't like food so very much, or that I was one of those lucky people who never seem to truly feel hungry, instead of someone who lives, breathes, sleeps and EATS food! I'm almost always hungry, or at least thinking about my next meal.

One of my favourite things...
Is discovering new things . . . new ideas, new concepts, new books to read, new pictures to paint, new friends to make, etc.

A few plans for the rest of the week...
A bit of work . . . a bit of play . . . and everything in between!!

Here is picture thought I am sharing...

Source: flickr.com via Marie on Pinterest




Perhaps it would be a good idea, fantastic as it sounds, to muffle every telephone, stop every motor and halt all activity for an hour some day to give people a chance to ponder for a few minutes on what it is all about, why they are living, and what they really want.
~James Truslow Adams (1878 - 1949)

We lead such busy lives. I think it would do us each some good to find a quiet space each day, even if only for 5 or 10 minutes to just stop and reflect on what life is really all about. We might be terribly surprised at the answers we get!

As a closing thought I would like to leave you with this:


"Mistakes are part of the dues one pays for a full life."
~Sophia Loren

(I had no idea she was so deep!)

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!


Here's a tasty meal that I often cooked for my kids when they were growing up and now cook occasionally for the missionaries. What young person doesn't love burgers and since I am young at heart, I love these too. They're very scrummy indeed and a wonderful once-in-a-blue-moon treat!



*Easy Cheesy Topped Burgers*
Serves 4 to 6
Printable Recipe

Delicious open faced burgers topped with full on cheese flavour! Cheese, Bacon, Onion . . . What’s not to like about these! You know you shouldn’t . . . but you will anyways. . . go ahead, enjoy!

2 ½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
8 slices cooked smoked streaky bacon, crumbled
1 cup chopped spring onions
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 TBS tomato catsup
3 tsp hot pepper sauce (Optional)
12 minced beef patties (3 pounds)
Bread or hamburger buns, if desired

Heat gas or charcoal grill, or oven grill. In a small bowl mix all ingredients except for the beef Linkpatties.

When the grill is heated, place frozen patties on the grill. Cover grill, and cook over medium heat 4 to 8 minutes, turning once, until the patties are nicely browned and cooked through.

Carefully top each patty with about some of the cheese mixture. Cook, covered, for 4 minutes longer, or until cheese is melted. Serve on toasted bread.



Cooking in The English Kitchen today, a delicious Chunky Puy Lentil and Veggie Soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!