Wednesday 17 April 2024

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 

 

Well, I did it yesterday. I re-purchased a few raggedy patterns from off Etsy.  My heart really wants to get back into sewing and doll making.  Will my practical side give me the time off from working to do so?  I sure hope that it will.  

I am not complaining. I am grateful for my work. Very grateful for it. I would not be able to survive financially without it.  I would be trying to live so far below the poverty line that it is unbelievable. My job writing the cooking blog is the only thing which is keeping me financially afloat, and I am more than grateful for that. At the moment I am trying hard to build up my savings so that if the bottom should fall out of that, I would still be able to survive.

I need to find some balance however. Between work and play. There has to be a balance between the two and I need to be better at finding it.

I lead a very busy life and I am grateful for that. I have no time to be bored, or to be lonely.


 

I am not a person that gets lonely and I have never been a person that gets lonely.  I have spent a great deal of my adult life on my own, or with only my children for company. My ex husband was in the Military and away a lot of the time. One of his favorite sayings was always "If the military wanted you to have a family, they would issue you with one."  His career was very important to him and provided very well for us. I had the luxury of being able to stay home with my children and see to their needs, and I was very happy to do so.

My mother had gone out to work when I was 11 and I had always missed her being there when I came home from school.  As the oldest child, her working also meant that I had a ton of responsibility heaped on my shoulders. Both for our home and my siblings. I did not want that for my own children, and so I was very grateful to be able to stay home with them.

I lacked very much in other adult company as, for the most part, we always lived far away from family. We moved a lot as well, which meant that friendships were always very short-lived.  I learned to enjoy my own company. I am a putterer. I keep busy with puttering. I enjoy puttering. The puttering and homemaking meant I did not get lonely, or feel the loss of adult companionship.

I am grateful for that. 

My friend Jacqueline is always telling me, now she is a widow, that she finds the loneliness unbearable.  I do not know what that feels like. I sympathize with her for sure, but I do not know what it feels like. I have never had a companion in life that I missed to the extent that I felt lonely when they were not around.

I am so blessed to be one who enjoys my own company and who knows how to fill a day with activity and purpose.



I thought that you might like to see my new quilt on the bed. I really love it.  I love the bright colors. I have always wanted a quilt like that.  My father says he is giving me the quilt his mother made for him as well. Well, his mother made the top and his sister finished it off after his mother passed away. I am so happy about that. My sister has the other one my grandmother made. 

As you can see Cinnamon is very happily ensconced on it.  She sees it as hers I think. She likes bed play. She helps me to make the bed every morning and then frequently during the day tries to entice me into the bedroom to shake a feather or some such back and forth over the bed so that she can chase it.

As you can see I still have my Tollipop paintings. I had packed them loose in my suitcase without frames when I came back to Canada.  They are what inspired me to get back into painting myself, all those years ago. I could not leave them behind. 

I sometimes wonder at the things I did choose to bring with me. Given the chance I would have chosen much different things, but I guess I can excuse myself from doing so as my mind was all over the place at the time and I had much different priorities.  I am pleased with how my life has turned out however, so its all good.


 


I was listening to a Pod Cast yesterday as I puttered, and found it very interesting. It was a group of younger women from the church, probably for the most part in their late 20's, early 30's. I was very impressed with how much they had it together.  I really enjoyed their fresh take on things and was especially interested in their discussion about the Holy Garments that we wear as members of the church. I found their thoughts very inspiring.  It made me think about why I wear them as well.  

Oh, for those who don't know, members of my church, both male and female, make special covenants/promises in our Temple and wear special, sacred to us, undergarments afterwards as a symbol of that.  I can realize that this might be a challenge to younger people as they are not totally sexy or anything close to being so.  There are no thongs, etc. I would imagine this could be a challenge to a young person who is seeking to find a partner in life and it is certainly a challenge for someone who is not married to a person who is a member of the church. As a society we place a lot of value on the sexiness of our undergarments. Or at least some people do.

And of course, wearing them makes it impossible to wear really low cut or backless tops and or dresses, sleeveless tops, really short shorts, etc. You can wear a swimsuit if you are going swimming, or take them off in special circumstances such as medical appointments, etc.

Anyways, I found myself thinking about why I wear mine. I have been wearing them for about 25 years now, day and night, and I don't think I would be comfortable without them. Yes, they can be a bit hot in the summer at times, but I don't really mind.  They are a symbol of promises I made to God and by wearing them I am showing Him that I am a promise keeper, a Covenant keeper. 

Nobody questions a Nun wearing her habit, or a Priest his vestments.  Nobody thinks twice about a person wearing a cross around their neck, or a turban, or a hijab, or a kippah.  But for some reason people have some really crazy ideas and thoughts about  Latter Day Saints wearing their garments.  For some reason they think this makes us really weird.

Its not weird really. Its just sacred. To us. Anyways, I really found their comments refreshing. Yes, we are a peculiar people. I am happy to be so.

 

Yea, or nea?  Too much? I think it would be a bit much for me perhaps, but I do kind of like it in an odd sort of way. It is pretty to look at, but I don't think I could really live with it. Its a bit overpowering.

I used to love to put up wallpaper when I was younger.  I found it very refreshing. I would not wallpaper all the walls, just perhaps one wall in a room, not all of the walls. I did like florals, but this is a bit much I suppose.  No, I don't think I really like it.

And with that I will leave you with a thought for the day.  Its gotten quite late and I need to get started on other things.  Its just one of those days!

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/   ~ \。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*The reading of good books
is like a conversation•。★★ 。* 。
with the finest mind of the past centuries.
~Rene Descartes  •。★★ 。* 。
•。★★ 。* •。★★ 。* 。



In The English Kitchen today . . .  Old Fashioned Tea Cake Slices.  Simple and delicious.  A really old recipe that never fails to please. Perfect for teatime.


I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday!  I am going to clean, clean, clean today and then I have supper later with Dad. His bed is being delivered to Cindy's today. I hope all goes well with that.  Oh, my sister has seen a bluebird in her bushes, but she is not sure what it is. She's been unable to get a good photograph of it. We are both very curious as to what it is. Anyways, I hope you all have beautiful days. Be blessed, stay safe, and don't forget!


═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   



13 comments:

  1. Love your quilt. Such tiny squares. Beautiful colours. I find those daffodils a little scary and almost threatening. So glad you’re going to be making some more raggedies. Enjoy your dinner out tonight. Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine! My thoughts as well about the daffodils. Too big! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hello on Wednesday. A blue bird sounds fascinating, could be a bluebird or an indigo bunting, hoping Cindy is about to get a photo of it. It is getting closer to the time of your Dad moving, hope he likes the new bed. The new quilt looks lovely and you will soon have another one. Enjoy dinner out with your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did manage to get a photo of it yesterday Linda and we are pretty sure it is an indigo bunting! It is a beautiful bird! The new bed is really nice. I had a cheeky lay down on it yesterday afternoon. Sooo comfortable! Thanks Linda! xoxo

      Delete
  3. The quilt is lovely!! Glad you got the patterns to make dolls again...I made a few years ago...planned to make more...but time goes by...and now too late. Oh well...
    Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have hopes Elizabeth! We shall see how it goes! I love my quilt! xoxo

      Delete
  4. What a delightful and colorful quilt, great choice! All faiths have their traditions..and good for them. 😀
    Puttering…I looked up a great description…’the act of doing dozens of little chores that no one knows need to be done, that no one wants to do and no one notices have been done.’…and I am an expert at that! Enjoy your puttering and have a fun dinner with your Dad. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks V! I have always been a putterer! We can be experts together! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hello, Marie. I have followed your blogs now for about 30+ years..I am 80 yrs. old now but found your blog when I was in my late 50's...time flies. My first husband died back in 1971, we were both high school sweets...I married again a yr. later in '72 to a wonderful man. Unfortunately, he died 10 yrs. later in '82...so I have lived widowhood now for over 42 years. My one child, a daughter from first marraige was 14 when her "real known to her Dad" died in '82. It was very hard for her..He was her math teacher then in high school. She and I were alone during those teen years..it was a struggle for us both. We both grew up in a small rural town in Illinois and small towns can be so helpful, friends and all, but for teens, often not so much. But we made it! She went to college, graduated, and now lives a life of a happy marraige for many years, and has a brilliant son, my Grandson, getting a PhD in astrophysics. So to say this...God has been so good to me...sometimes I wonder He gets tired of hearing from me. But I've lived alone now since 1982, I worked all those years as a RN in 2 different hospitals, finally retired in 2008. Just must say this: I'm thankful to God that at age 80 I have really pretty good health (one heart stent but nothing more), I walk daily, read lots of good books, follow politics and news and speak out now and then on #Twitter. I own my own home, maintain it with the help of friends because I retired in my old hometown, connections help. Honestly, my life has been fine, but I must say these years of retirement living alone are the best ever of my life. And being happy in these retirement years, God's getting some rest from my constant "help me, Dear Lord" prayers. I'm sure the day will come when He hears that again but I'm able now, with His help, to give Him a bit of a rest. Goodnight, Marie..Bless you...I will continue to follow along. I always remember way back years ago when I first found your blog and your ending was "God Loves You" (and still is)...That noted ending gave me so much strength to carry on and move forward....Thank you, Marie..Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Lynney! Thanks for sharing with me as well. I love to know more about those who read my often very boring words! Especially those who have been with me for a long time. I don't know where I would be without God's love. Its that which has helped me to keep moving forward. Life will break us if we let it. Its not an easy row to hoe for anyone. I think if a person has faith the burden is just that tiny bit lighter and easier to bear. At least that is how it is for me! You are welcome! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Lovely quilt!!! Did you find it in Etsy? Do you have a link?
    Love your puttering and cozy, blessed, artsy life
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri. I did get it on Etsy. Here is the link to the quilter's shop: https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/SparksMckenzieQuilts
      xoxo

      Delete
    2. Hi Marie,
      Thank you so much! I just took a look- she makes lovely quilts!
      Terri

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!