Monday 1 April 2024

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.




Family dinners.  We had a whole weekend of family dinners, starting with pizza at my sister's on Friday, Swiss Chalet on Saturday and then here at mine yesterday for Easter Dinner.  I really love getting together as a family like this. Family times are the best of times. I missed that for over 20 years. I am so grateful that I get to enjoy them now. I do not take them for granted.  I enjoy every minute of them. Cindy makes a great pizza.  The food Saturday night was not the best. (That Swiss Chalet place always falls short of the mark. I don't know why.)  And yesterday was pretty special.  Cindy cooked the ham and made her special sweet potatoes. I cooked corn scallop and potato scallop, carrots, Brussel's sprouts, rolls. We had some pickles and then I made sugar free jello for dessert with whippy cream. Best part. Being together.  Best part of every meal!  It is good to break bread together.




I am so grateful for this family that God gave me.  For a mother and father who always loved us and showed us the way.  For my sister who has always been my best friend, and a brother too.  He's always looked out for my sister and I.  Cindy and he are much closer in many ways as they were a lot closer in age to each other and built more childhood memories together, but as adults my brother and I have also been close in other ways.  We are just a close family and for that I am grateful.




I had a nice facetime with my oldest son yesterday.  It is always nice to talk to him, spend this time with him.  His friend is about to start a food truck in Fredericton and my son is going to be the cook. Just burgers and fries, but it is an exciting time for them. I wish them well on this new venture.




I am grateful for Easter.  We always spend a lot of time celebrating Christmas and a lot more seems to go into that, but Easter is even more special in a multitude of ways.  I am grateful for my Christian beliefs and the hope that they bring. Because He lives we too shall live. Death has lost its victory and sting.

I did not go to church yesterday. They were having a munch and mingle lunch afterwards and I knew I could not stay for that. Instead I worshipped here at home. I  listened to some good messages and music and felt good about that.



 


The latest Easter Video from the Crosby family. I have been listening to Clare since she was a very little girl (3).  The family has always put out a special video every Easter.  As they have added children to the family they have been included and this latest video has all of them in it, playing instruments, etc.  It is just heart warming to see this family. I love them.





I am just grateful for every day I am given here.  All are a blessing to me.  The sad ones, the happy ones, the ones filled with pain, the ones filled with joy and everything between. I am grateful for them all. I recognize them for the gift that they are.  I hope that I never take any of them for granted.

My life is full of abundance.  Family, faith, friends, love.  I am blessed beyond measure. I take none of it for granted.


A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛There are people 
who take the heart out of you
and there are people
who put it back.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
~Elizabeth David° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •° * 。 • ˚ ˚ 





In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Orange Glazed Carrot Loaf. A tea bread that I have been making for a very long time.  It was a recipe I got from my mother-in-law back in the 1970's.


I hope your week ahead is filled with abundance.  May you all be truly blessed.  Don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

6 comments:

  1. Family time is so special, whether in person or via Facetime or phone. Make the most of the new month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You also Linda! Hope your knee continues to feel better and better! xoxo

      Delete
  2. SO glad you had such a fun weekend...that is how family was meant to be I think. We were mostly just us 2 though our daughter came for a few hours and to eat a very simple supper with us. Which is all I can manage these days. Caretaking and no uninterrupted nights of sleep now for at last 5 years takes a toll. Just glad for the few things I can do. Our other daughter and grandkids who live a continent away also zoomed with us...and the lovely doggie!! That was fun!!
    HUGS, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoom with family is always fun Elizabeth! We are all feeling our age I fear! Hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  3. So lovely to have family times….the are THE best! Happy April!
    xo, V. ps…love the tea cup and plate….charming 💜

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!