Saturday 6 April 2024

All Things Nice . . .

 

I like to watch from windows --
There's, oh so much to see!
The silv'ry spire of a church,
A budding lilac tree,
A  little girl on roller skates
Who turns to wave to me.

I like to watch from windows --
When maple leaves unfold.
And daffodils against the fence
Are cups of purest gold.
A mother sits and watches, too,
Her face serene and old.

I like to watch from windows --
There's always something new:
A neighbor walking home from town,
Who stops to chat with you,
And wishes in a wistful voice
That she had such a view.

I like to watch from windows --
There's something clean and high
About the sweep of purple hills
Against a morning sky
That calls and whispers to my heart --
I cannot tell you why.
~Edna Jacques, Watching at Windows
My Kitchen Window, 1942


There is something very comforting, if one lives in a busy area, to be able to sit in a chair by the window and watch the world go by. Mom had a glider rocker by her front window and she sat there for hours, watching the cars driving past, keeping an eye on the neighborhood, dozing from time to time.  There was a small deck in front of the window, with a large lilac bush at the end.  She loved to watch the birds flitting to and fro,  and when the lilacs were in bloom, they gave her no end of pleasure.

There is not much that happens outside my window, although a little sparrow did come to see me yesterday.  Occasionally now, the chipmunk, who is awake after his winter's nap. Things are not in bloom yet, but green shoots are appearing. It won't be long now.

 

 


Cindy and I took a drive up country last evening to pick up some special glasses to view the eclipse on Monday.  Cindy had looked everywhere for some to wear. Every place was sold out. Finally she found a woman who had bought 20 pairs up in Berwick and had some spare and so she offered to sell some to Cindy.  We took a trip up to pick them up. It was quite a pleasant drive and nice to spend the time together. It always is.

The eclipse is quite an exciting event.  There will not be another one for 60 years.  We are quite lucky, according to my brother, in our lifetime, to have experienced 3 in the 1970's and now this one.   

We got some glasses for Eileen and Tim as well so that they can safely view this event. I would not want them to take any chances. They are so vulnerable and will believe just about anything anyone tells them. It is a comfort for me to know that they can view it safely.


 

The man who has done my taxes these past couple of years is coming to pick up my stuff this morning to do them for this year.  It will be a load off to finally have then done. It has been a struggle to get myself sorted. Every time I dragged out my files and papers the cats have come around and I no sooner get started than one has been trying to lay down on everything.  That is the nature of cats I believe. They like to be at the center of everything that is going on.  It makes me laugh. And so it has been an ongoing process of a couple of weeks. Gathering here and gathering there. Done by bits and pieces.  I have it all sorted now and messaged him yesterday to let him know I am ready.

Its very good. He comes to the house and picks everything up, and then he drops everything off afterwards.  

I really hope that I do not have much left to pay, but will be will be.   I pay my fair share. I am not wealthy enough to be able to hide my money in diverse places. lol   Would that I could.


 


Winter revisited many of us briefly this past week. We got quite a bit of snow on Thursday. It snowed nearly the whole day, but was all gone and melted, except for the brief patch here and there, by yesterday.  A few bits lingered on rooftops and at the edges of drives and walkways where people have shoveled it into little piles.

Spring comes to the North in tentative footfalls, gentle in nature. They are almost non-existent, sneaking in surreptitiously, peeking in from behind the folds of Winter's curtain. You need to be very observant to see them and to be aware of the lightest touch. Much like a child taking it's first steps, every movement is a joy, every vision a seed of hope, but always taken with caution and care.

Then as the days pass and trickle onwards, the season becomes more confident and the full flood of color begins to shine through as the earth swells, pregnant with new life, and those first saplings rush up to greet the  sun. Buds form and burst open, anxious to gather in and feel those tentative glimmers of warmth. Meadows become gleaming carpets, eager to cushion feet and bluebells tinkle, heralding in the new season.

But for now we wait.  Eager and anticipatory for those first tentative steps.  Waiting for the forsythia to burst into color and the dandelions to make their appearance on the lawn.  The daffodils.  The season of yellow.


 
 


I had a facetime with my friend Tina in the U.K. yesterday afternoon. It was the first time we have spoken since her son passed away a few weeks ago. Tears were shed. She said she had been holding up pretty well up to that point but when she saw me the tears just fell. Mine did also.  I said to her, we have cried together many times, but that is the mark of friendship and a good friend. To be able to laugh together and to cry together comfortably. To be able to share your heart with each other in the good times and the bad.  It is a great comfort just to be able to share your feelings and know that they are in good hands. Lord knows we cried many tears together when I was going through my troubles. Tina was such a help and support to me throughout  . . .  a good, good, friend. Solid.  It pained me to see her so sad and hurting, but it helped to talk about it.   I know  . . . 

As parents we are not conditioned to  have to say goodbye to our children in such a way. It is a hard, hard, thing . . . I cannot pretend to know how it feels, but I can listen and I can share words of comfort.


I have been blessed to have such good friends in life. I hope and pray always that I am a good friend in return.


 

My church's bi-annual conference begins today.  I will be watching it on YouTube here in the comfort of my own home. There will be three 2 hour sessions today and two tomorrow.  I will probably only get in the two sessions today as the third one will be a bit too late for me to watch.  Then tomorrow I might only get in the first one and have to watch the second one later. In any case I am excited to listen and to watch . . .  the music, the talks, all of it . . .  to be inspired and uplifted. I always am. I used to try to take notes, but would miss a lot in my scramble to take them. Now that they are available pretty much permanently to listen to and to watch, I just relax and enjoy them, and then go back frequently to revisit them in the months that follow.  Modern technology is such a blessing in that way.

And with that I best get my skates on.  I need to be washed and dressed before the tax man arrives.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/   ~
\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
 *.˛.You don't have a soul,
you are a soul.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
You have a body.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
~C. S. Lewis° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  A Classic Farmhouse Fruit Cake, Anglesey Cake. Traditional. Simple. Delicious.  A great teatime cake.


I hope that you have a beautiful weekend. Whatever you get up to, stay safe, and don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   


5 comments:

  1. You will think me weird.I have no interest in the eclipse.I know its a big event.I just am not interested.Ill be indoors doing whatever.Enjoy! We had so much snow..almost all gone now as we had none left before it happened..You too have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is good you only had one really bad day of the storm. I love to watch out the window too, we overlook farm fields and this time of year there are all sorts of geese and gulls and sometimes swans that come into the fields for the accumulated water. The sun is finally out today, still windy and chilly though. Temperatures will be rising to the double digits.
    The birds are hunting for nesting stuff and singing their hearts out to impress their mates. That is good you got glasses for the eclipse, we have decided to watch on a youtube channel that the local city is broadcasting from. Enjoy your conference, a great way to be there but be at home. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely visit today..season of yellow, delightful…my prayers to Tina…church conference is comforting…exciting eclipse…taxes accomplished…time with family, the best…delicious cake, wow…have a weekend making happy memories and rest. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart goes out to your friend Tina...nothing harder for a parent to endure!! My dear mom grieved some everyday after my 20 yr old brother was killed by a drunk driver. It is the most helpless place to be cause nothing will change it. You are a good friend to cry with her!
    Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Elizabeth, Marie. You were a good friend to help Tina cry. Parents are not supposed to bury their children. My grandmother buried her four sons. So sad. Her four daughters out-lived her. Enjoy the eclipse. We don’t have glasses so will no doubt hear all about it in the news. You’ll be happy to have your taxes done. I did mine on Wednesday - all done and dusted and I did have to pay. Enjoy your conference sessions. I’m going to make your Anglesey Fruitcake. Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto).

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!