Wednesday 10 April 2024

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 

 

I can remember as a child going to visit one of my mother's cousins and they had a big old clawfoot tub in the bathroom.  There was also a shower curtain for the shower that was also above the tub.  I had never seen such a thing before in my life and was very curious about it.  It also spurred a love in me for clawfoot bath tubs.  I always wanted one, but never did have one.  Now, with my knees, I would be hard pressed to get in and out of one. Age has not been kind to my bones in that way.  I live in fear that, if I fall  . . .  I really won't be able to get up, or that I might get stuck in the bathtub.   I know I am not alone in this.   At least I hope that I am not alone in this. 


 

I am forced to ask the question in looking at this photograph. Who was it that decided it would be nice to have a bathtub by a big window like this and then use sheers for curtains? I would never be able to have a bath in this tub for fear that some voyeur with binoculars would be peeking in at me. 

I really don't like the idea of anyone being able to watch me without my knowledge. That's why I use a clothespin to pin the curtains shut on my living room window each night. And why I also do that same with my bedroom curtains. The idea of someone watching me gives me the creeps. When I first moved in I did not have any curtains at all for a time and I sat here in the dark every night until I did.

I can remember when I was a much younger woman there was a "Peeping Tom" in the PMQ's (married quarters) where I lived.  All of the women were afraid.  When caught, it was discovered that he was one of the Military Policemen that worked with my husband. I can remember feeling very sorry for his wife, and wondering what it was that motivates a person to do such a thing. Very strange indeed.




At Elaine's suggestion I started watching Mr. Bates VS the Post Office last night.  (PBS Masterpiece) Thank you Elaine for the wonderful suggestion!! It is the extraordinary story of the greatest miscarriage of justice in British legal history, where hundreds of innocent sub-postmasters and postmistresses were wrongly accused of theft, fraud and false accounting due to a defective IT system.  I have watched only the first episode and am all in.

I was living in the U.K. when all of this came about but I do not remember it.  I have never been one who watches the news much.  I would have been still working at the Manor when this was all unfolding and so would not have had time to watch the news or read a newspaper anyways. 

Much of the scenery is in Wales, or at least it was in Episode one. Llandudno.  This was a seaside we often visited, and the hills and other scenery took me back to my many hours spent in this beautiful country with its pristine valleys and mountains.  Such a beautiful country is Wales.

Anyways, if you are looking for a cracking watch, check it out!


 

I twisted my knee again this morning. Nutmeg has a bad habit of being so excited when I go to feed them in the mornings that he tries to bite my calves and ankles.  I was trying to keep him from doing so and I fear I twisted the wrong way to get away from him.  It is now quite sore again.  Arrg . . . I don't know why he does that. I growl at him every time and speak to him with a very cross voice, but he still does it.  He never breaks the skin, but it does hurt. I wish I had a sure fire way to dissuade him.

I have been thinking of hiring a cleaner to come and vacuum my house, clean my bathroom, wash the floors and dust once a week. Oh, and change my bed.  Just while my knee is out of commission. I am finding it very hard to do those things and am falling behind. I don't want to get too far behind in them or I will never catch up. 


 

I am in a bit of a conundrum with one of my friends.  She is quite bossy with me.  The last time we spoke she told me I was  a very stubborn person because I would not ask my Ministering Sisters to come and do these things for me. (Changing my bed, etc.)  I am just a very private person and would not want anyone I know doing this stuff, I am not comfortable with that. It is different if you are paying someone to do it.  She is also always on at me about my eating dairy (milk, cheese, etc.) and saying it is the cause of all of my knee problems, arthritis, etc.  Always telling me what I should do. Almost trying to force me to go and see an Osteopath (there is one that goes to our church here in town.)  She has always been a good friend in many other ways.  I find myself avoiding her now. She called three times yesterday and I did not answer the phone.  I know that I will have to answer it eventually, but I do not know what to say. 

I don't want to hurt her feelings, but her advice on such matters is unwanted.  I find her to be quite aggressive when it comes to this. I am, by nature, a very mild mannered person who really hates confrontation of any kind.  If I try to change the subject, she tells me that I am doing that, and brings it back to the subject. To be honest I feel like she is being a bit of a bully, and I don't like it at all. I want it to stop, but I don't know how to get it across to her that I don't mind being her friend, but I don't care for her advice when it comes to the matter of health.  She is very anti-doctor, anti-vaccine, anti-mask, etc.  and very opinionated. I know that she is well-meaning, but  . . . I am tired of it, and most unappreciative.

 

This was one of my favorite books when I was a girl. Oh how I loved the story of Polly and her siblings.  One of my favorite parts was always where they baked a birthday cake for their mother using their last scraps of flour, some butter and currants. That cake sounded so delicious.   I did not know that there were films made of the stories.  I will have to look them up, however dated they may be now.

Was this a book you read as a child?  Apparently there are six key books and four films! 


 

Looking at all of these colors of yarn is making me feel like getting out my crochet bag again and continuing on with the blanket I had started. I had put it away for a time, wanting to do something else, but I think it is time to pick up my hook again.  I was able to give the three grandsons blankets each last year for Christmas and had planned on gifting the two other grandsons this next Christmas with blankets.  I need to get my skates on with that. The other three grandchildren I will probably skip. I have no idea if they would even get them and there are too many hours of work that go into one of these. Perhaps I will crochet them anyways and then set them aside to gift them with when I am gone.   Food for thought there.  We shall see. First though, I must get those other two done.

And with that I will leave you with a thought for the day. Time's a-wasting!

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛Preserve your memories,° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
keep them well,° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
what you forget, you° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
can never retell.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
~Louisa May Alcott° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •





In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Creamed Peas and Potatoes. Deliciously comforting and very simple.


I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday. Cindy and I will be meeting up via the phone for cycling at 9-ish and then a short shopping trip,  a bit of work, then later today supper out with Dad.  So a busy day all told.  Whatever you get up to be safe and stay happy!  Don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

4 comments:

  1. We started watching Mr Bates vs The Post Office, I remember reading about the CEO giving back her medal, and now the King has rescinded it. I found a great article on Wiki explaining the whole case. Looking forward to seeing the rest. Ah-h-h friends and advice, I would say thanks for the suggestions, glad they work for you, I'll consider what you say, and then do what is best for you. Easy for me to say when I don't have to deal with her. We had a terrific thunder and lightening storm last night after we went to bed. Mother Nature sure has been putting on a show lately, first the eclipse and now the storm, and hanging fog this morning. I wish I knew more about the Native interpretation of weather. Take care of that knee. Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We missed episode one:(:(. But will watch.I am loving Ripley not for everyone..but for me.Cinematography all black and white..acting.. Italy..thriller.Hope you feel better soon..That friend doesn't sound like a keeper lol;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certainly agree with you about curtains and being shut at night etc. Heh, we rarely open our shades here in this apt, fortunately plenty of light comes in...but with the lurking criminal upstairs, we just prefer them shut mostly. As to friendships, I have found some of them well quite impossible to keep, at least not in a frequent way. I think a lot of people are somewhat nuts these days...so many problems in the world that often come to one's door...or maybe at least where I live, a good deal of the good ones are already gone? I really think GOD meant for our main contacts to be kin anyway...and you for sure have a goodly number of them who love you...what a fortunate lady you are in that respect!! I too need to get to my crochet, quilt making etc...so much gets set aside in my life, but to be honest, it ain't all my fault either...caretaking does keep me busy!! I do hope you find some help for those very difficult chores!! Have had the same wish myself!!
    Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS...I would get a little squirt bottle with water and give the cat however many squirts it takes to get him to quit attacking you. That is very dangerous at our age...you might fall badly the next time...take care!!
    Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!