Monday 8 April 2024

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.





The 194th General Conference of my church and all of the talks which we were inspired by.  It has been a wonderful weekend filled with loads of inspiration and wisdom.  I was impressed by many of the talks and uplifted.  I can't wait to listen to some of them again and study them. What a great blessing this was. 

One talk from the Saturday evening session by Elder Matthew L Carpenter really resonated with me.  As most of you know I was sealed to Todd in the Preston Temple. I have not bothered to get a Divorce (not interested in getting married again, and not wanting to hand over half of my property) and I have not had our Temple Sealing dissolved, although I have thought about it from time to time. 

Here is just one thing that was said in the talk.

"For those who remain faithful to covenants, they will receive the promised blessings even if their spouse has broken those covenants."

It has been the right thing for me to keep that Temple Sealing in place.  He will not be receiving the promised blessings from it, but I sure will. That is a great comfort to me.  I know it is hogwash to a lot of you, but it does mean something to me and I was greatly uplifted by this.

 

Although initially I did not see any improvement in my knee from the cortisone shot I am not seeing a vast improvement.  There is still pain, but it is not constant like it was before. That is such a relief.  Constant pain is just so hard to live with. I am sleeping better and getting around better.  That is such a blessing to me.  I hope it continues.


 



Of all the places I have lived, England was my favorite place of all. I do miss it. April was the loveliest of months.  Daffodils, crocus, hyacinth, bumble bees, nesting birds.  The greening of everything. It was just such a lovely, lovely time. It will be weeks before we begin to enjoy the same thing here.  Although, yesterday I did notice plenty of buds on my sister's lilac bush and forsythia bush.  Also I can see leaf buds on the Maple in back of my place.


 

Being able to acknowledge and embrace this truth.  No, my life has not turned out the way I planned it to, or had hoped that it would, but it is still a very, very good life.  My life is filled with a different kind of abundance, but it is abundance all the same and filled with joy.  I am happier than I ever thought I would or could be.  I have more than enough, more than enough of everything I am in need of and then some.  I do feel blessed.  Every single moment of every single day.  I am so fortunate.  So, very, very fortunate.


 


I hope that this is something my two cats would/could say about me and our life together.  I know I sure love them.  They bring such joy into my life.  With their cuddles and songs they sing to me. Helping me and taking an interest in all that I do.  Keeping me company.  Putting some purpose into my life.  They are not outdoor cats. I would not have an outdoor cat. I would worry too much.  But they have a very good indoor life with me. They are loved and cared for with abundance, you might even call them spoiled.  They are worth more than all of it for the love they give me in return. Having a pet is the best thing for someone living on their own. Having two is even better.




My father gave me his clarinet at the weekend. He has always told me it would be mine. I have many happy memories attached to that clarinet.  We spent many moments playing duets together when I was a teenager. Two part harmonies.  I don't know that I will still be able to play it. My mouth has gotten lazy as have my lungs, but I am so glad to have it.  Maybe one day one of my grandchildren will want to have it and be worthy of passing it down to.


 

A sister that I cherish and love spending time with.  Oh how I love her.  I think we do something together almost every day. It is very rare that we don't, even if it is only cycling together while we spend time together in conversation. Friday night we went to pick up the eclipse glasses together. On Saturday we did some shopping and dad's shopping, and puttered around his place a bit doing things for him. Then yesterday I went there for supper.   Today, this morning, we are going to dad's to clean out his fridge. It is bin day tomorrow for him and we know the compost will be taken right away.  (Good thing rather than have it sit for days and days waiting.)  We love each other. We enjoy each other's company. I am so grateful that God gave me this sister that He did.   I am grateful for these times we get to share together. For the laughter and the tears and for everything in between.


And with that I best be on my way. I have to leave here to pick her up at 9 and time's getting on!

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/   ~ \。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*To feel the love
of people whom we love
is a fire that feeds our life.
~Pablo Neruda° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 





In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Ballywindland Rolls.  An Irish non-yeasted roll that is simple to make and oh so delicious. Flaky, buttery and delicious spread with butter and drizzled with honey. 


I hope your week ahead is filled with abundance.  May you all be truly blessed.  Don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   


 

3 comments:

  1. We loved living in England too, no place was too far to drive, family, and a different pace of life. Hope you get to enjoy the eclipse, we are watching online. At least your knee is a bit better, take care and rest when you can. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mouth instruments are not for me, but I enjoy listening to others play. I do hope you can play again...music we make is very edifying too!! Always had hoped to see England, Scotland and Ireland...but it will not be now...too old...however the lovely YOUTUBE has those in those places who share and we sure enjoy watching them!!
    Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I would love, love to see England, the countryside, the history!! How lucky you got to live there and experienced the country, the people and the culture. You must have loved it if it’s your favorite place…it sounds so charming when you write about it, the FOOD!…The flowers! The cottages! The FOOD! 😆!! It seems like you soaked it all up and keep it now in your memory and heart…I can only imagine how delightful it must be!!….especially in Spring!
    Have a lovely new week, sounds like your weekend was meaningful, sweet and happy. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!