Wednesday 19 April 2023

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 



As hard as I try not to, and to put everything into the hands of God, I am a stresser. Perhaps that is only natural. I suppose if I did not think about the things that need doing,  that would mean I have no conscious or sense of responsibility? Its the worrying about them that is something I could do without.

Right now its tax season. Oh, I have all of the money sitting there waiting to be paid, but its the other things that go hand in hand with it, like this year my tax man says I need to register my business and get a Business number, and that I need to register for an HST account, etc.  And that is not how my mind works naturally.  Doing things like that is really hard for me.  I just want to be able to live and to pay my taxes.

Ideally I would love to just be able to relax, not work at all, live on my pension and just enjoy the rest of my life.  Three failed marriages and poor life choices mean that I will never be able to do that. And so I stress. 

I do try not to, but I can't help it. My mother was a worry wart.  I am a worry wart in some respects and about certain things. 


 

Hip Hip Hooray!  Hip Hip Hooray!  Hip Hip Hooray!  I did a test yesterday afternoon and I tested negative for Covid.  I have also taken the last of my Paxlovid this morning.  I am so glad to get all of that out of the way.  In the meantime my father's friend Hazel has tested positive. She texted me yesterday afternoon to tell me.  Could you please keep her in your prayers.  Its a serious serious business when you are really elderly. I would not wish this terrible illness on anyone.

I walked down to check my e-mail late yesterday afternoon and stopped to chat with Sheila on the way back.  She has a little dog that she got from this organization that has dogs for the elderly. They are dogs that belonged to a senior that has either passed away or has gone into a home and can no longer care for their pet. I forget what the organization is called, but they foster these dogs out to other seniors.  All you have to do is to pay for the animal's food.  They cover any vet bills. Her little dog is named Hobo and he has no teeth.  He's a cute little thing. A little bit yappy, but not to the point where it is annoying.

The dogs that lived next door to us in the UK barked every time we flushed the toilet. haha!


 

My sister and I are going up country today. She has some papers to file for applying for her pension which she is due to start getting in July.  It was a bit complicated for her as she was born in Germany. Nowadays the dependent children of Armed Forces personnel that are born outside of the country are given Canadian Citizenship automatically. Back in the days when my sister was born,  they were not. My sister is considered a landed immigrant, according to my brother.  I know, weird.  Anyways, she has had all of these hoops to jump through and hopefully these are the last ones. She was two when we moved back to Canada, and has lived here ever since. 

On our way back we have plans to stop as Jonny's for a tasty True Newf Poutine. I've been waiting all winter for this! I am really looking forward to it. Of course I can't eat the whole thing, but that just means that I get to enjoy it again for my lunch tomorrow. I can cope with that!


 

Isn't this a beautiful example of embroidery?  I love it.  I have always loved to embroider, as you know. My mother taught me how. I learned when I was 8 or 9 so that I could get my Needlework badge for Brownies.  It is an artform that I have always loved.  I did crewel embroidery when my children were young.  I practiced many forms of embroidery.  I had the Reader's Digest Book of Needlework and I did most of the projects that were in that book.  I progressed to Counted Cross Stitch, which was my greatest love of all time.  I did so many beautiful pieces.  I have no idea what happened to any of them.  But that's okay. I had the joy of doing them.

Oh, I have plans to do more needlework things with my hands. I just am lacking in the time to get them started or even done.  I will get there though! Eventually. I do manage to get my crochet things done. I think that is because they take no concentration to do. I am working on a new blanket now with my scraps. Its pretty colorful.


 


This has to be about the most complicated way to make a S'more that I have ever seen and yet they are oddly compelling. I don't even like S'mores.  There is something about marshmallow and chocolate together that has never appealed to me.  I can remember as a child we would occasionally get chocolate marshmallow Easter Eggs from the Easter Bunny, but they were never EVER a favorite with me. I just did not like them. Its a combination I just do not care for.

Maybe I just don't like marshmallows.  I do like chocolate. Perhaps even too much.

To my detriment.


 

The lady down the end of our road has been busy in her garden. She gets a younger woman to come and help her I have noticed.  I need someone to come and help me. If I had my way and the money I would have them taken out all-together and graveled over, and just have a few large plant pots. I can't be dealing with getting down on my hands and knees to do gardening anymore. My knees cannot take it and I would never be able to get up again. Trust me.  I have tried to get things from under the sofa and the fear of not being able to get up again is very real. 

I wish I was a gardener.  I so admire those who are.  I noticed my next door neighbor Sheila's garden is looking all nice and cleared out and tidy. I think her nephew comes and does it for her.  My garden is a disgrace.

Last year the Missionaries did it for me. We no longer have any  Missionaries here.


 

I love old books like this. I love learning the meanings of different flowers.  At one time when someone sent you a posy there was great meaning in each of the blooms that were chosen to by the sender to be in the posy. 

Learning the special symbolism of flowers became a popular pastime during the 1800s. Nearly all Victorian homes had, alongside the Bible, guidebooks for deciphering the “language,” although definitions shifted depending on the source.  I suspect that this book was one such source.


 

Will the drama surrounding Harry and Meghan ever end. Methinks not. I, for one, am quite tired of it all.  Meghan has chosen not to go to the Coronation.  (Or isn't invited, take your pick.)  If she did go she would be accused of trying to steal the limelight. Because she isn't going she is being accused of you name it. Any number of things. Damned if she does, damned if she doesn't.   I remember being so happy when these two announced their engagement and so pleased when they got married, but it has been nothing but a circus ever since. I know they have not done themselves any favors.  But you never really saw this kind of BS going on in the Queen's day. There was a protocol and it was followed. Simpler times I guess. 

I blame the press.  They have to blow everything out of proportion. It sells papers. I have come to the point where I don't believe anything I read about any one, and take it all with a pinch of salt.

I will watch the Coronation of course. It is an historic event and  I am very much a Royalist. But I could care less who is or isn't in attendance. My eyes will be on the King.

And with that I best get my ice skates on as time is a wasting and I need to be getting ready to go out!   Road trip!

A thought to carry with you . . . 


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
  ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
 ˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*The sun was warm
but the wind was chill.
You know how it is
with a April Day  . . . 
~Robert Frost•。★★ 。* 。 





In The English Kitchen today   . . .  Classic Bangers and Mash.  A comfort food classic. 

I hope you have a wonderful day today. Mid week already. How the time does fly. Whatever you get up to, don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

6 comments:

  1. Here in Ontario high school students have to do volunteer hours, if they have such a program in Nova Scotia perhaps you could get a high school student to help with your garden. Don't follow anything Royal family related, not a fan at all. The rules changed for being a Canadian born abroad between our first and second daughter. First daughter was automatically a Canadian as her father is a Canadian and I'm British, but second daughter had to be registered Canadian. That was between early 1976 and late 1977. Rules are forever changing, so hard to keep up with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check into it Linda! Thanks for the idea! WE managed to get my sister's forms taken in and she was commended on her proper filling of them out. The clerk said she had never seen so well a filled out form! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I worry too:) What If is my middle name.I know nothing about tax returns I had an accountant for 30 yrs..now retired..J does it. Good news on the negative test:)No Coronation opinions here lol.AS you know Im not a monarchist.I hope someone helps you with your gardens:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL about the Coronation! My father is the same. I am going to post a question on the Ask a Question page on FB to see if anyone can help with the garden, but first I need to pay my taxes and make sure I have some money left to spend, lol. xoxo

      Delete
  3. I was thinking today as I awoke of the situation of Meghan and Harry...no matter WHAT they do, the news groups will make it appear bad I think. Too bad. I hope as time goes along they will just get on with their lives and leave the difficult people be. Sometimes saying nothing says a lot...Meghan said something like that...I am sure there is a great deal they have NOT said. I wonder how Charles could ever think after how he treated their darling mom, that either son would ever look at him in a positive way. I feel William has no choice...but Harry does. I think they treat him very well considering...just saying...
    Glad you are feeling better and negative. Be sure to keep resting plenty...I think that is the worst part overall, the fatigue that keeps on afterwards...we are better than we were when ill, is all I can say.
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Elizabeth. They cannot win for losing. I think Meghan is wise to just avoid the Royals altogether. I am keeping up my rest as much as possible. My sister also. She is very tired as well. xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!