Monday 3 April 2023

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.





I just got to spend the weekend with Jesus.  10 hours of wonderful talks, and many hours of reflection in between.  It was the church's Spring Conference and I enjoyed every minute of it.  I had been preparing myself mentally and spiritually for weeks in the run up to it.  All of the talks were great but within the first three talks of the Saturday afternoon session, I had three of my concerns, three things I had spent the last few weeks pondering and praying about, addressed, boom! Boom! BOOM! I love it when that happens.

People ask how can I know that Jesus is real?  I just know, and when things like this happen,  I know that what I know to be true is true without a doubt.

It's not any church. It's not  any religion. It's  quite simply Christ. He makes all the difference in my life and in how I view it.






Facetimes with Anthony. He is my oldest son.  We had a nice facetime yesterday and it was lovely talking to him. My grandson Luke had texted me wanting to know if I had a recipe for a chocolate sauce. Apparently he took his birthday money and bought himself a HUGE container of ice cream and was wanting a sauce recipe to enjoy with it. I was very happy to comply.  Having a grandson looking to me for culinary inspiration meant the world to me. So then I texted his dad to make sure he got it alright and then we ended up facetiming.  He was cooking a turkey.  Yum.  He told me about this time he cooked it upside down on two slices of buttered bread.  We both agreed that those must have been the tastiest pieces of bread in the world after that!

Family.  I am so blessed.


 


I should have gone to Cindy's for supper last night, but I had to give it a skip. I was so tired.  I had woken up at 4:30 a.m. yesterday morning and just could not get back to sleep.  I just couldn't face getting into my car and driving there by mid afternoon. I was toast.  I was doing all I could to just stay awake until a reasonable time to go to bed.  I had my shower at 3 in the afternoon and put my pajamas on, and then just waited until I could reasonably go to bed. I was watching television but I kept nodding off so I couldn't really tell you anything I watched, lol.

I did get to bed. I did get to sleep. I only woke up twice.  A good nights sleep.  I was sorry to have missed spending time with my family though.


 


I am going for a bone density scan today.  I have never had one.  I guess at 67 I really should have one and probably should have had one sooner. Cindy is going with me. I am worried about having to walk down the long walkways to get to the lab to have it done. I guess I better bring my cane with me.  I started worrying about that yesterday. I don't know why I do that to myself. Who cares if it takes me forever to get down the hall. The important thing is I am going to get down the hall and have a scan. I am so grateful to live in a country where these things are free and available.




She likes her tee pee and she is using it.  Unfortunately I think it is a bit too small for Nutmeg, although he could certainly get in there if he wanted to. Cinnamon is enjoying it however.  Nutmeg is a bit of a chicken when it comes to new things, so he is giving it a bit of a wide berth. 

When Cindy and I were at Giant Tiger the other day I picked up a back scratcher. It has a metal retractable handle. I had it on the coffee table and Nutmeg saw it and freaked out. He started doing that scaredy cat batting thing at it like it was a snake or something.  It was just laying there.  He then ran under my bed and wouldn't come out all evening. I have had to put it away.  I don't know why he is like that.  Such a chicken.  Cinnamon wanted to smell it.  She's not too afraid of anything.


 

Toast for breakfast. When we were growing up my mother always made bacon and eggs for breakfast on Sunday mornings.  I didn't want the eggs, but I did want the toast which I would enjoy with some of the bacon and peanut butter.   I love toast.  Especially crispy toast which is what my father calls the crust ends toasted.  Those are my favorite bits too.





Spring is springing. I can see bulbs coming up and slowly but surely the snow is leaving us. There is not a lot around here now.  We have had a very mixed bag of weather these last few days, but that is early spring.  Some days you get a bit of snow, but it never lasts.  Some days you get rain, but each day brings a bit more warmth from the sun. 



This will soon be the order of the day. 


 

Holy week  . . . from Palm Sunday until Christ's resurrection with the stone being rolled away. This page has a bunch of resources and ideas on how to make Holy Week special for you and your family.

The Church of Jesus Christ also has a daily plan that you can follow to help to make your week and Easter more meaningful. 

This is also the week of Passover. This holiday celebrates the anniversary of the Jews exodus from Egypt.

This is a week to remember and to celebrate God's goodness.  Muslims are also in the midst of their Ramadan.


And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day. I have a ton of things to get done before Cindy and I leave for Kentville.  

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
  ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
 ˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*In mothering
if you do it right,
you work yourself
out of a job.•。★★ 。* 。
~Karen Tyler•。★★ 。* 。

Lazy this morning, I took it from my ME calendar. 




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Creamy Curried Sweet Potato Soup. Simply delicious!

I hope your week ahead is filled with abundance. Be happy and be blessed.  Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

3 comments:

  1. Hope the test goes ok today!! Such things are never easy in our age group I think. I was not aware you had to use a cane, but whatever we need to get someplace...and HOWEVER LONG it takes...tis ok!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes for todays test…how delightful Cindy will be with you! Your weekend was lovely, your kittycats have such personality, that dear Anthony and Luke are charming…such blessings! Have a great new week! xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that spring is arriving. A good night's sleep is so important, hope you caught up. Too bad about missing family time, it's a good thing you get lots more opportunities. Best of luck at the bone density test, you will be just fine.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!