Wednesday 5 April 2023

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 

 


It was a fairly mild day temperature-wise yesterday. Many were out and about on the street walking their dogs and greeting each other that I had not seen all Winter.  It will be quite a bit cooler today and they are calling for freezing rain overnight.  That's this time of year, very transitional.  You never know how to dress when you are out and about. Anything can happen.

I had my latest Covid Booster yesterday. So far all I have is a sore and stiff arm, which I was very aware of in bed last night. I wonder how long we will have to be getting these boosters?  Perhaps forever now.  I know many people think that the virus has ended, but its still very much around and people are still dying from it. Mostly older people.

My sister said yesterday it’s like they have thrown the older population under the bus.  At one time they were recommending mask wearing so that others were protected from the spread of the disease, and now it is left open to your own discretion. Very few are wearing masks.  My sister and I do. It matters not that we feel like oddities.  The ones still wearing masks are generally older people.

If my brother could come down with Covid within two days of unmasking, then I am not taking a chance. I could survive it, but I might not and I never want to be the person responsible for giving it to my dad so if I have to wear a mask when I am out and about for the rest of my life, I will do it.

My brother and his family have completely recovered now.  Thank goodness.  

My sister also had her shot yesterday. I wonder how she coped with it. She has had bad reactions a few times. I hope she did well. Will be talking to her soon.


 

I haven't seen a robin yet, although my sister has.  I have given up on feeding the birds here.  All I get is Blue Jays that empty the feeder, nothing else. I throw stale bread out to them and the crows come and the Jays. Cinnamon and Nutmeg enjoy watching them, and the gulls that ofttimes show up across the road.  But I never get anything else.  I do if I put out seed, but the seed doesn't last long because the bigger birds come and empty the feeder pronto, or the chipmunk, or the squirrel.

Or rats.  I have seen rats.

And so I have given up on feeding the birds here. 

I just took a quick trip out to the post box to pop in a few pieces of mail that I had ready to go.  I wanted to get them in before the postman comes. Its lovely and brisk out there this morning. I was able to walk comfortably and quickly as well. Perhaps the key to me walking is to do it earlier in the day when my bones are not so tired?  Its worth a try.

When I went to go out I noticed that my front door was not locked, which means that I did not lock it last night. Bad me. I must try to be more diligent in checking my doors at night. Usually my door is locked all the time and I do check them before retiring.  Last night I did not.


 

I noticed this morning that the back scratcher was under the table and Nutmeg was playing with it. He must have gotten over his fear of it.  I did have it on top of the rolling cart that I keep the stand mixer on. So it has managed to travel a ways. The back scratcher that is.  He had been quite afraid of it a few days ago so I am glad that he has managed to get over that fear. Some things just take time.

There is a pattern to my days, and normally each day follows the last in much the same way. Wake up, feed the cats, say my prayers, work, have some breakfast, work,  get washed and dressed, tidy the house, work some more, have some dinner, work some more and then shower and relax in the evening with the cats, the telly and my needlework, be it embroidery or crochet.  Something that I don't have to overly concentrate on.

Then I go to bed. Say my prayers, listen to the Bedtime Shema, read, listen to my calm bedtime story and then sleep. 

Repeat.

Today is a bit different. I am going out with Cindy to get the ham, then home for some work, supper with dad tonight, and then my usual evening routine. I may see if I can get Cindy to come out to supper with us. I like it when she does, and I think dad does too.

A simple life filled with simple joys and pleasures.  You can't beat it.


 

On Monday when we went to Kentville, Cindy and I stopped at the Cambridge Convenience store on our way back to see how it was progressing. They are in the process of expanding it.  That is the shop that you can order things from Costco, and they go and pick it up and you just have to pick it up from there. There is no need for a Costco membership or to drive into the city.  Apparently someone else has opened up a larger warehouse further up the valley in New Minas. We do want to check that out sometime, but we will stay loyal to the Cambridge Convenience store.  It would be a shame for the owner to have spent so much money expanding and upgrading and then for their clientele to move to another store.  Besides the Cambridge store is a lot closer.

It was really a nice day on Monday when Cindy and I went out. I really do enjoy her company so much. I can remember when we were teens my mother telling us that one day we would be close friends. It was hard to see it then. We were teens and argued a lot about things like clothing.  Mother's know best.

Mom and her sisters were very close.  She would know about such things.  Oh how I miss mom. I am sure that I always will.


 

I really enjoyed our church's conference at the weekend.  I did miss the latter half of the last session as my son had facetimed me. Family first.  I need to go back and relisten to it.  I am sure the talks are out in their written form now. I have a journal that I want to write down my impressions in.  I did make some notes while I was listening the first time. I used to spend the whole conference furiously scribbling, but I would miss a lot in doing so. Now I basically just watch and listen and then only scribble a note when something really profound hits me.  I know that I can always go back and read them and watch them again at a later date and make more meaningful notes.

Aren't we so very blessed to be living in a time when technology affords us such bountiful opportunities. I know technology can be a bit of a double edged sword.  I think so long as we use it wisely and with intelligence we can be very blessed by it. But like anything, it has a dark and negative side.

Stick to the light.

 

I've been enjoying watching episodes of A Home in the Country on YouTube. You can find a lot of good programming to watch on YouTube. I am thinking when my TV contract is up in May I will just cancel the normal television.  I never watch it. Never.  There are no good channels to watch. It all repeats.  Same things on different channels at the same time.  I don't really need it. Unless they can offer me something new then I am just going to get rid of it. Save myself the money. 

Mind you, if the internet goes down then I will wish that I hadn't. So I need to really think about it. Decisions. Decisions.

I thought I would miss having a landline, but I don't.  I have my mobile phone and that is that.  Haven't missed a landline at all.


And with that I best finish this off and get on with my day.

A thought to carry with you.


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
  ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
 ˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Listen and silent are spelled with
the same letters. Think about it.
~Unknown  •。★★ 。* 。

 


In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Mary Berry's Greek Roast Lamb. Delicious and simple.


I hope that you have a wonderful Wednesday!  Be safe and be happy. Whatever you get up to, don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   


4 comments:

  1. We are booked for our booster shots tomorrow. We had heard and watched a thunder storm system roll into the area, very heavy winds. It is all ice rain to the north of us, so we are lucky we just have rain. I wish we had a similar service for Costco here, but have to drive over an hour to the closest store, needless to say we don't go. Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a blessing you only had rain! It really is great to have that Convenience story handy and you don't need to have a Costco membership either. Like you, our closest one is over an hour away and with the crowds that are usually in them, I would rather stay away! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I walk most every morning…but if I don’t get it done in the morning, I too am a little too achy and slow to go for a walk in the afternoon. Your days sounds full and a perfect mix of work and enjoy time…good for you…and time spent with family… especially Cindy!… is time very well spent. I have a sister too…we have such a great time together….she’s kind and funny and smart … lucky us, huh? I also miss my mom so…every day…to have a sister to share those mom memories is another blessing. That convenience store sounds awesome…wish we had one! Have a nice dinner tonight and enjoy this Holy Week. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks V. It is really a lot easier walking earlier in the day. I get really achy and slow down a lot in the afternoon! I am so blessed to have my sister here for sure! Enjoy your Easter Weekend! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!