Tuesday 11 April 2023

A Daybook . . .

 

 


OUTSIDE MY WINDOW ...

All is quiet. We have a nice dry day in the offing. There isn't a cloud in the sky and its already above zero, so not freezing.  The birds sound so lovely at this time of the year.  They will be nesting now, or beginning to.  Working to attract each other and lay their eggs.  My sister gets a lot of birds where she lives.  When we had that ice storm, they had a whole flock of Evening Grosbeaks, and also Cedar Waxwings.  She had cardinals that come regularly to her feeders, as well as chickadees, etc.  The crow on her street all gather when they see her come out. She calls to them, and then they wait for the peanuts, swooping down often before she even goes back into the house. They recognize her voice. She is the animal whisperer.



SAD TO HAVE TO SAY ...

My father and sister have both tested positive for Covid. My father had a cold on Friday.  We had all gone to my sister's for Meat Pie.  My sister makes the best meat pie.  My dad had a runny nose and said he had been up coughing in the night. My sister tested him then, but it was negative.  I spoke to him on the phone on Saturday and he said his cold was better.  I thought it rather strange that his cold would suddenly disappear overnight like that, but I said nothing.  Then of course you know what happened Easter morning.  Yesterday my sister called me to say she was getting a cold and had tested herself.  A faint line showed up, which is darker today.  She has definitely tested positive for Covid, and she tested dad again last night at suppertime and he had a very dark definitive line as well.  So far I have tested negative, but it is probably only a matter of time.  I doubt very much that it will skip me, especially after having spent that time with him on Sunday and then in the car both taking him to my sister's and then home again afterwards and getting him ready for bed.

To be honest I am surprised my father has not caught it sooner. He is not all that careful with who he has contact with and I have seen him many times sitting at the mall with people, unmasked, etc.

I knew that eventually it would catch up with us, but I am hoping we will be not too bad off.  Fingers crossed!  

So far I am still negative.  Dan's Covid test this morning shows a faint line, about an hour later.  So . . . it would be naïve of me to think I won't get it.


 

SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR ...

As I am still negative, I was able to go to the shops yesterday (properly masked, just in case) and pick up things that my sister needed, and to get some stuff in just in case I come down with it. So, if I do get it now, I have enough water etc. in so that I should be okay. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to do this for both of us.


 

ONE OF MY FAVORITE THINGS ...

Stone cottages.  They are so charming. One thing I like to watch on YouTube is a program called A House in the Country. The premise of the show is that they have people who are wanting to relocate from their present home to somewhere in the British Countryside.  Its a real estate kind of a show, but you do get to see some lovely homes and a lot of the British countryside. I do miss the UK in a great  many ways. It had really become my home.  But I am grateful to be back with my family. I really missed them when I was living so far from them, so I am really where I need and want to be now, here in Canada.  



I AM CREATING ...

I am almost finished my blanket, and already have the yarn ready for my next one. I will take a photograph when I am finished my present one. I only have a few more rows to go and the edging. What will I do with these blankets when I am done?  I don't know. Maybe there will be one for each of my grandchildren to have?  That's a nice idea. I only know that I like to keep my hands busy when I am watching the television in the evening.  

I have embroidery and sewing to be getting on with as well.  Too many pies, not enough fingers! haha


 



I AM READING ...

I finished my last book, it was some good. First time I have finished a novel in a long time and I was sorry that I had finished it. I have started this one now, MERCY, by Jodi Picoult. 


Police chief of a small Massachusetts town, Cameron McDonald makes the toughest arrest of his life when his own cousin Jamie comes to him and confesses outright that he has killed his terminally ill wife out of mercy. 

 Now, a heated murder trial plunges the town into upheaval, and drives a wedge into a contented marriage: Cameron, aiding the prosecution in their case against Jamie, is suddenly at odds with his devoted wife, Allie -- seduced by the idea of a man so in love with his wife that he'd grant all her wishes, even her wish to end her life. 

And when an inexplicable attraction leads to a shocking betrayal, Allie faces the hardest questions of the heart: when does love cross the line of moral obligation? And what does it mean to truly love another?

I usually like Jodi Picoult books, so I have high expectations for this one.




I AM DREADING ...

My tax bill. The guy came yesterday morning to pick up all my papers.  I think I will see my savings go, down, down, down. Its a good thing I have savings however and I am eternally grateful that I am able to support myself.  I was thinking last night how wonderful God is that everything was set up in place to be able to do so just at the right time. I could have been monetizing my food blog for years before I did, but for some reason was inspired to do so right when I did, in the summer prior to my life falling apart.  I don't know why I was prompted to do so when I was, but I am ever so glad that I was and that I followed those promptings and that everything was set up and the very month I started to receive payment for the blog was the month after I moved back to Canada.  God's timing is impeccable. It wasn't much at first, but gradually grew over the months until I am now making enough to live on and then a bit extra to save. I am so grateful for that.  God really is good.  I do worry sometimes that it will suddenly go away, but then I just promptly pop it back into God's hands and try not to think about it.  I am trying my hardest to save as much as I can for a rainy day. 

Trusting in the Lord. Not always easy, but I can say that He has taken very good care of me so far.  Why would He stop now.






SOMETHING TO WATCH ...

My Kind of Country on Apple+

I love country music and the premise of this show is that these three country singers are looking for the next best new thing when it comes to country music.  They are searching all over the world for it.  Not just in America.  I have watched one episode and I really enjoyed it!

Which takes me to  . . . 




MUSIC I LOVE ...

I really love country music. Mostly old country and the stuff from the 80's/90's.  I am not too familiar with today's country music.  But I love the old stuff, and Alan Jackson, George Straight, Tanya Tucker, etc.  I got turned onto Country Music when I was taking my Secretarial course after high school. The bus driver that picked us up only ever had country music on his radio.  At first I didn't like it, but I came to love it.  It is one of my favorite kinds of music to listen to, and I like many kinds!






SOMETHING I LOVE ...

I love Bitter Lemon served in a tall glass with lots of ice.  This was something I came to love when I was living in the UK. If we went to a pub or anything I would always get a bitter lemon on ice. Zesty, sharp and carbonated with a slightly bitter flavor, I just really enjoyed it.  You can buy it here in Canada from a British supply place called Blighty's.  I also like Lime Cordial.  That was nice mixed with 7-Up, or Lemonade as they called it in the UK.






SOMETHING I DON'T REALLY LIKE ...

I don't like mean people. People who are unkind and cruel.  I don't think it is really necessary for anyone to be unkind and cruel. You don't have to like every person or every situation in life, but you also don't have to be unkind and cruel about anything or to anyone, or any creature.  It just saddens me when I see it happening.  I cannot watch nature shows where animals are hunting other animals, etc.  I know that is natural, but I don't want to see it. I also don't want to see humans being intentionally mean or cruel to other humans, to nature, to animals, children, etc. 

I am glad that I have never been that way.  


A THOUGHT TO CARRY WITH YOU ...

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
  ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
 ˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*The cure for anything is salt water --
sweat, tears or the sea . . .
~Isak Dinesen•。★★ 。* 。






In The Kitchen today   . . .  Cheesy Vegetable Medley.  This is a delicious side dish casserole. You can use either fresh or frozen vegetables in it. You can use tinned soup or make your own sauce from scratch. Its all up to you!



Sorry if my post seems a bit disjointed this morning. I have had a lot of things happening during the writing of it!  I got there in the end, however haphazardly. I hope that you have a wonderful day.  I hope its good to you.  Be happy and be blessed. Don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   


4 comments:

  1. Hoping your sister, her husband and your dad recover quickly Even if you get it, probably likely being in such close contact, you will be fine as you have had all the booster shots. Probably even get some more antibodies from having it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie, sorry to hear about everyone getting sick but, because most of you were so careful, it did take three years - that's an accomplishment. This Covid is a peculiar beast ... I was sick with bad cold symptoms and my 96 year old mother had barely anything but feeling tired. And now we're OK. sometimes there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to who gets what. Glad you had a chance to stock up before it hits you. If you can, please post a least a bit of a note to let us know you are OK. And maybe you will be lucky and be one with few symptoms. One thing that was important __ stay hydrated, even if you don't feel thirsty..... just keep a mug of herb tea by you and keep sipping. I'm sure we're all wishing that everyone comes through this quickly and safely. Take care, Kat from New England

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry your kin are ill and it may be you will be soon too...glad you were able to get out and get some things you may need tho. I only know of 1 friend now who has not had it...she worked all her life as a nurse and must have incredible immune system!! To me, that well explains how your dad was too weak and ended up on the floor...that is essentially what happened to my husband. But the strain out there now should be lesser and hopefully you won't be affected too long. Heard on news this week that it may be something that goes around now like colds and flu do each year.
    You are certainly correct as to mean people...there are SO MANY of them where we live...yesterday while out and going down the highway minding our own business some really crazy woman TRIED HER BEST to hit us...fortunately Hubby avoided it, but she was grinning like a cheshire cat...maddening...so we did not finish all we had planned to do...we came home shortly following. Better to not go out when so many crazies are out...it seemed like a Friday kind of behaviors yesterday, rather than a Monday. Some crazy woman in the grocery store caused me grief too...sigh...some days it is best to stay home!! I think here we are seeing what maybe is connected to the political junk going on...like with Trump etc. It seems to somehow really impact those with mental issues!! As to needing to save, taxes and other things like rent here are going up at incredible rates, far exceeding what would be caused by inflation. EVERYONE who can is ripping off everyone else...again...pure crazy. I think by the time our next life comes, we will be very ready for it...makes you wonder what on earth do these people think? Do they really think they can take it with them??
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear this news….hoping all the cases are light and short. Take good care…you all are so important to each other.
    xo, V.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!